OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I would not bring Davis up yet. He needs to mash another couple of weeks in AAA. Idc, call up Carter Bins or something

Reactions: DaveG

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Weather is going to be dicey the next couple of days, so hope that isn't disruptive to Jones and Skenes.

Saw that this was the biggest 9th inning comeback they've had since 2008.

Lineup construction is overrated as a significant factor in the outcome of games, but Bae needs to be higher in the order than he is. I get the concept of using the 9-hole hitter as a "second leadoff" guy but you can't have him hitting after guys like Triolo and Bart and the current version of Suwinski.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

How stupid would we have looked taking Dylan Crews, who has been anything but stellar in pro ball so far. You never, ever, under any circumstance take a position player (don't care how good they project) over a generational arm talent. Pitching costs more and is harder to find and looking at Crews' #'s compared with other highly selected SEC players proves he wasn't a generational position player. Especially seeing some of the #'s guys like Condon and Cags are putting up this year.

BTW, Skenes is the only guy in the top 50 for the Bucs.

(Skenes new #1, 65 FV......Holiday is the only other 65 at #2)
He has already added a new pitch less than a year after going No. 1 overall as the best draft pitching prospect in more than a decade. His mid-90s splinker is a mix between a sinker and splitter that basically has no equal in the big leagues, and he has thrown it 29% of the time over his first two big league starts. Skenes was already the best pitching prospect in the sport and just invented one of the best pitches in the sport.

(Crews down to 14)
Crews, who went No. 2 overall in the draft, has bounced back after a subpar introduction to Double-A last year, but his 29% strikeout rate and lack of over-the-fence power might surprise some fans given the numbers he put up at LSU. I'm not shocked given that I had some pre-draft concerns.

Reactions: DaveG

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

How stupid would we have looked taking Dylan Crews, who has been anything but stellar in pro ball so far. You never, ever, under any circumstance take a position player (don't care how good they project) over a generational arm talent. Pitching costs more and is harder to find and looking at Crews' #'s compared with other highly selected SEC players proves he wasn't a generational position player. Especially seeing some of the #'s guys like Condon and Cags are putting up this year.

He has already added a new pitch less than a year after going No. 1 overall as the best draft pitching prospect in more than a decade. His mid-90s splinker is a mix between a sinker and splitter that basically has no equal in the big leagues, and he has thrown it 29% of the time over his first two big league starts. Skenes was already the best pitching prospect in the sport and just invented one of the best pitches in the sport.

(Crews down to 14)
Crews, who went No. 2 overall in the draft, has bounced back after a subpar introduction to Double-A last year, but his 29% strikeout rate and lack of over-the-fence power might surprise some fans given the numbers he put up at LSU. I'm not shocked given that I had some pre-draft concerns.

Skenes has paid it off, but many other "generational pitchers" have not panned out. One of Huntington's biggest errors was Taillon over Machado in 2010.

No argument on Crews whose batted ball profile from the eye test and the metrics screamed regression. Glad we steered clear. Langford could be a 6-WAR type of player though

Reactions: DaveG and Arkadiusz

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

(Crews down to 14)
I wanted Langford and I'm comfortable sticking by that choice.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I wanted Langford and I'm comfortable sticking by that choice.

Looking back in retrospect, there were really was no difference between Langford and Crews. I mean the latter had a longer track record but I just can't help but notice his numbers were not earth shattering to the point where he was this can't miss pick at 1. He wasn't Bryce Harper. Skenes dominance from day 1 until he was MVP and a CWS champ made the pick rather easy.

I had gone into the year wanting Dollander (he was the pole runner for top pitcher) but he obviously scuffled a bit and fell to the Rockies, though he's also showing great so far.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
As a potentially hot take at this point, I'd be fully willing to trade Davis and just plan on Endy-Bart as their catcher duo going forward. I don't expect Bart to maintain his 130 OPS+, but I'm pretty confident in him being at least good backup caliber and offering some pop out of the C spot.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This team is already on a hot run, the game last night and the game today is just a continuation of that.

Gonzales gets a weakly hit single as well, which he deserves with how unlucky he has gotten at times with the balls he has smoked.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
I still have not seen Michael Taylor get one hit this season live. Not one.

He hit well the first week of the season but below average since.

He was brought into shore of defense in the outfield and has done that.

Have you seen Bae play center? But they need the offense so a platoon is in place between the two for now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Don’t know if I saw this mentioned anywhere else, but apparently they’re working with Bae to be able to play LF. It’s surprising that he has pretty much exclusively played CF in the OF, but I figure it shouldn’t be too difficult.

Bae playing LF further cements Joe sticking at 1B I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad