Draft 2024 NHL Draft Prospects & Undrafted Free Agents

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Watching an interview with Chris Peters from yesterday. Claims huge drop off after midway through the 1st. Also believes this is a weak draft class. Doesn’t see any steals coming in from the 3-7 rounds.
The Chris Peters interview starts at about the 1 minute 50 second mark:

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
ever since he pounded the table for Logan Stankoven i have paid a lot of attention to what Will Scouch at Scouching thinks about these prospects.

He does *not* love Letourneau. Dominant size at a younger level can be deceiving, and he's hella old for the class.

Give me one of the youngest players in the class, with elite raw speed and developing playmaking who could potentially fit at C or RW. Give me the guy who has an all time name, a guy from the fair North, with the size to play in May and June and a propensity to SHOOT THE PUCK.

Give me John Mustard.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There's not a draft analyst out there any length of time who hasn't overrated or underrated any number of players......but it's almost an impossible job. There are hundreds to look at every year and they're 17/18/19 year olds or just kids who are finding themselves and a lot can go wrong. Still you can't teach size though a player can improve his skating and stick skills. Some go into their draft years with everything going for them size, skating, stick skills and still turn into failures anyway. Some players just don't have enough heart or determination. Some will find it hard to deal with adversity.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I wrote about both of Hage and Luchanko earlier in the year, and each have risen up rankings out of reach from where the Rangers will pick. Luchanko’s game will take some time to mature, but it’s easy to envision him being comparable to someone like Travis Konecny once he matures more physically. Great skater, really smart player, and underrated skill.

If we want to go off connections, our scouts are going to have seen a ton of both Sacha Boisvert and Matvei Gridin. Both were on Muskegon’s top line all year and have really strong blends of size/skill and projectable games. Boisvert is a natural C, and I’d easily move up to nab him if he’s within reach.

Another kid that’s being underrated is Marek Vanacker. Horrible hockey name, but he’s another really competitive, strong two-way winger that is good, but not great, in all facets of his game. I think I read he was injured and had surgery, so I’d just be careful of his medicals

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I wrote about both of Hage and Luchanko earlier in the year, and each have risen up rankings out of reach from where the Rangers will pick. Luchanko’s game will take some time to mature, but it’s easy to envision him being comparable to someone like Travis Konecny once he matures more physically. Great skater, really smart player, and underrated skill.

If we want to go off connections, our scouts are going to have seen a ton of both Sacha Boisvert and Matvei Gridin. Both were on Muskegon’s top line all year and have really strong blends of size/skill and projectable games. Boisvert is a natural C, and I’d easily move up to nab him if he’s within reach.

Another kid that’s being underrated is Marek Vanacker. Horrible hockey name, but he’s another really competitive, strong two-way winger that is good, but not great, in all facets of his game. I think I read he was injured and had surgery, so I’d just be careful of his medicals
Based off the consensus rankings (which I guess doesn't mean a whole lot) it does look like Hage and Boisvert will probably be off the board... Luchanko there might be a shot, he's still ranked in our range. I'd have zero issue with that choice. Safe pick but not in a bad way.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Watching an interview with Chris Peters from yesterday. Claims huge drop off after midway through the 1st. Also believes this is a weak draft class. Doesn’t see any steals coming in from the 3-7 rounds.
The last sentence seems a little unlikely. Just about every draft there's NHLers found in the later rounds.

The undersized players always fall down the board. Justin Poirier is ranked all over the place. True sniper, 50 goals this year. Maybe this draft's Stankoven. Mac Swanson fell way down the rankings this year. More of a playmaker. He collected a number of accolades this season. Just in terms of playstyle... Poirier is a DeBrincat whereas Swanson is a Zuccarello.

There's a number of talented Swedes that could fall past the top 2 rounds. Simon Zether, Melvin Fernström, Noel Fransén just to name a few.

The USNTDP crop is a bit shallow this year but theres still some talent there. They've got good players that are projected in the 3rd

Plenty of overagers worth looking at.

A handful of Russians

Reactions: surlysailor

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
The last sentence seems a little unlikely. Just about every draft there's NHLers found in the later rounds.

The undersized players always fall down the board. Justin Poirier is ranked all over the place. True sniper, 50 goals this year. Maybe this draft's Stankoven. Mac Swanson fell way down the rankings this year. More of a playmaker. He collected a number of accolades this season. Just in terms of playstyle... Poirier is a DeBrincat whereas Swanson is a Zuccarello.

There's a number of talented Swedes that could fall past the top 2 rounds. Simon Zether, Melvin Fernström, Noel Fransén just to name a few.

The USNTDP crop is a bit shallow this year but theres still some talent there. They've got good players that are projected in the 3rd

Plenty of overagers worth looking at.

A handful of Russians
I’m not going to say that my opinion is valid when it comes to these drafts. A lot of these guys pour over 100’s of hours of videos to come up with their opinions. I’ve noticed over the last four years when i started to pay attention to this part of hockey that many of these draft pundits have a soft spot for undersized players, so it kind of skewers their results.
For me, I like two d-men who I’m guessing will be out of the 1st round and two that might slip to 30.
Charlie Elick: Brandon(WHL)
Jack Pridham: West Kelowna(BCHL)
Colin Ralph: Dubuque(USHL)
Stain Solberg: Norway

Of course all this amounts to a hill of beans unless Chris Drury is able to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick(s).

Last edited:

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
It’s highly unlikely there will be any top six forward prospects available at 30 but there are always defense prospects through the second round.

I’d really like to trade back and pick up some additional draft currency. Here are a couple of possibilities ( smoothed out — some may require an additional piece)

Pittsburgh (44+46)
Utah (38+65)
Anaheim (35+58)

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
It’s highly unlikely there will be any top six forward prospects available at 30 but there are always defense prospects through the second round.

I’d really like to trade back and pick up some additional draft currency. Here are a couple of possibilities ( smoothed out — some may require an additional piece)

Pittsburgh (44+46)
Utah (38+65)
Anaheim (35+58)
Yeah, totally want us to either somehow (affordably)
1) move up to get a top 6 type of forward prospect or one of the top defensive prospects should they fall
-OR-
2) as you suggest trade down to get two 2nds. Or a 2nd and an early 3rd.

More options. A LOT of teams have at least two picks in the 2nd round

CAL (41 + 62)
STL (48 + 56)
UTAH (38 + 49, OR 38 + 65, OR 49 + 65)
NSH (53 + 55, OR 53 + 59, OR 58 + 59)
NYI (54 + 61)
SEA (40 + 63)
CHI (34 + 50) unlikely
SJ (33 + 42) very unlikely

Last edited:
Reactions: B17 Apricots

Ad