OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Lol checked score and saw tied 0-0 in 9th. Assumed it was Skenes and saw it was a bullpen game. Then I watched 9th just in time to see Bednar do what he does best.

Not that it matters, but waste a bull pen shutout with Skenes start coming up. What a travesty of a team and organization.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
If the issue is that Bednar sucks, we should stop pitching Bednar altogether. But flip flopping him and Chapman doesn't accomplish much.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA

Shelton's refusal to back Bednar off of the highest leverage situation despite him being below replacement for the past month is the single greatest reason for this team's death spiral. Shelton is not a serious manager and Bednar is not a high leverage pitcher right now.

Reactions: Rave7215

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm at the point where I just firmly do not want Bednar on this team next year. If he was still in his pre-arb years, you'd wait out the struggles and see if he rebounds. But you don't pay a reliever $5 million when you don't even know if he'll be usable in a leverage role in the bullpen.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
And of course, they'll trade him for peanuts this offseason, and he'll revert back to being an AS caliber arm for a big market team.

You cannot, with a straight face, say we have a serious manager when Chapman has been absolutely dominant for months, and Bednar has directly cost us at least a half dozen games, yet the 8th and 9th innings are the same look as we had to begin the year. DB and Holderman (lineup card and usage is all on the manager) have flipped 10 games from W's to L's, which is comical for 2 RP's but here we are.

And I'm sure Colin will be back up in short order to blow a few more in September.

Nobody can hit. Nobody gets fired. Manager can't win, nobody gets fired. GM keeps misery to mediocrity up, nobody gets fired.

Mickey f***ing Mouse.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
And of course, they'll trade him for peanuts this offseason, and he'll revert back to being an AS caliber arm for a big market team.

You cannot, with a straight face, say we have a serious manager when Chapman has been absolutely dominant for months, and Bednar has directly cost us at least a half dozen games, yet the 8th and 9th innings are the same look as we had to begin the year. DB and Holderman (lineup card and usage is all on the manager) have flipped 10 games from W's to L's, which is comical for 2 RP's but here we are.

And I'm sure Colin will be back up in short order to blow a few more in September.

Nobody can hit. Nobody gets fired. Manager can't win, nobody gets fired. GM keeps misery to mediocrity up, nobody gets fired.

Mickey f***ing Mouse.
Those last 2 sentences could be applied to any of the 3 pro sports teams in the Burgh... sad:(

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024

Shelton's refusal to back Bednar off of the highest leverage situation despite him being below replacement for the past month is the single greatest reason for this team's death spiral. Shelton is not a serious manager and Bednar is not a high leverage pitcher right now.

He couldn't even make it six of last nine just so I could throw a #nice at that stat.

Selfish prick.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Bednar is definitely having a year, a bit surprised that he hasn't been eased into lower leverage situations to try to solve his yips this year. They have to keep him and hope he can rediscover his form.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Bednar is definitely having a year, a bit surprised that he hasn't been eased into lower leverage situations to try to solve his yips this year. They have to keep him and hope he can rediscover his form.

I don't think it's psychological. I think that his 4-seam fastball isn't that good and the league figured it out. It's the same pitch but much less effective now. Trying to pitch around your "weapon" becoming a liability would be difficult for anyone.

What happens with Bednar is definitely one of the storylines of the off-season

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Must be nice to have an org. that will fire a manger when they aren't performing up to snuff.

And yeah, that's an indictment on Cherington for not pulling the trigger on Shelton who is simply overmatched, like 98% of our hitters that come up through this system.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

And I'm going to put some money down on him being moved, at his lowest value point since being here btw, for a much reduced return vs what we would have had dealing him this past offseason.

The level of ineptitude of this franchise is staggering.

I pray that either Nutting is forced to sell (and the team stays in Pitt) after 2030 or the franchise is moved to another city. Do people really want to go through this for another generation? Would you really be THAT upset if the team is moved?

Reactions: GilbertSeinfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad