OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
iu

Why? He got to see what a winning team looks like in person.
FOG SHIP'S HORRRRRNNNNNNNN

And plenty of smiling people on their way to get some tacos

Could be worse

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
This team is second to last in payroll. 31 M from the lowest spending NL playoff team (Mil - who are leading this piss poor division). Do you truly expect that to change?

To win a world series this team would need to spend 40-70M more in salary. This team would need to add some hitters, which are expensive.

Otherwise, we hope the prospects hit, ala the Marlins and Tampa, and we luck it out in one of the two or three years we could be good.

For me, not worth it. They wont spend. They wont win. Nothing ever changes. They wouldn't spend an additional 10M in 15/16 which would have let them win the division. The Pirates DON'T care about actually winning. They only care about money and the perception they are trying to win.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Yes, the payroll is an issue but at least as big an issue is that this management team cannot draft, develop, or acquire hitting. If they doubled the payroll they'd blow it on guys who can't hit because they cannot identify players who can hit and they can't develop them even if they acquire them. Even with the low payroll, this team could contend if the management team had any idea what it was doing with hitting.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
PNC is a beautiful park, probably top 3 with the Padres and Giants.

Drafting and development are something that the Pirates have been working on for the past 2 decades and I'm not sure they are too much better than they were before. Maybe not as many no brainer fails at the top of the draft like Bullington or Moskos. Maybe the Pirates have a thing going with pitchers, but most teams have something they are good at developing and it is a terribly short track record. For their payroll, the Pirates need to be top 10 in development to be respectable. Look at Cleveland, they somehow churn out league average and above pitchers constantly. The Yankees and Dodgers always have prospects to trade despite selling them off nearly every yearbecause their development teams get their prospects to achieve closer to their ceilings than their floors. The Rays have a type that I don't think can be replicated. Closer to home in the division, St Louis always seems to have an above average system despite being a contender more often than not. Just like with the Pens, no cap on the front office. I just wish they would raid a successful organization's dev team more often.

since70

Sep 27, 2016
I always wondered if the Pirates relied on strictly analytics/data to draft, instead of using scouts to augment because it's cheaper, and the fact they can't develop players backfires on them, cause a guy might look like a monster on paper, but once the talent pool is equal their flaws get exposed and they become a level or two below what was expected.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Subscription canceled

No reason to listen at work anymore, it'll be boxscores for me from here

We aren't going 20-0 to get back in it

Just totally shit the bed

images

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Disgusted and saddened.

Literally I don't care about Keller getting hit. The team needs to put up some pity runs. This is not an MLB lineup.

Could legitimately lose 90+. This is the White Sox.

We need to get rid of Joe and Ke'Bryan "defensive WAR" Hayes this offseason.

Mr Jeff Jimerson

May 9, 2013
Mitch Keller is one of the most fraudulent "ace" pitchers in recent MLB memory. He routinely struggles against bad offensive teams and you saw tonight what happens when he faces a contending team. Keller's low ERA is one of the biggest facades in baseball.

Rumor is Pirates' management also knows this and that's why they didn't bother with getting any big bats at the deadline. The Pirates main focus this offseason should be getting a legitimate number 2 starter to pair with Skenes. Keller is a #3 starter, at best.
hF35Mj5.gif

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Lost in this train wreck of a season has been Joey Bart.
So I have been watching the other teams coverage to see what they say about us since the all star break
Dodgers Pads said stop throwing the Pirates fastballs they can’t hit anything with movement. They had a stat saying bart is 900 obs on fast balls leading the entire league Arizona said why would you pitch to anyone in the Pirates top 4 in the lineup. Cruz Reynolds are 2 best hitters wouldn’t crack the line up of those teams.

Why feel bad?

He's gone from a fringe MLB-er to an unquestioned starting catcher in this league. His team sucks but he now could make 8 figures+ in his career.
Bart is entering arbitration year 1 this season he might not cash out

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
So I have been watching the other teams coverage to see what they say about us since the all star break
Dodgers Pads said stop throwing the Pirates fastballs they can’t hit anything with movement. They had a stat saying bart is 900 obs on fast balls leading the entire league Arizona said why would you pitch to anyone in the Pirates top 4 in the lineup. Cruz Reynolds are 2 best hitters wouldn’t crack the line up of those teams.
This is so depressing to read.

But yes, keep Andy Haines and Derek Shelton employed.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Disgusted and saddened.

Literally I don't care about Keller getting hit. The team needs to put up some pity runs. This is not an MLB lineup.

Could legitimately lose 90+. This is the White Sox.

We need to get rid of Joe and Ke'Bryan "defensive WAR" Hayes this offseason.
The White Sox are on pace to lose 123 games. They are the worst MLB team I have ever seen. The worst Pirates teams since the 90s aren't close to as bad as the White Sox are, let alone this team.

But yeah, the team is disgusting and sad. No doubt about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad