OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
When you cry small market like the Pirates, you have to be able to draft and develop.

The Pirates have not been able to do it, and I don't know if it's cutting corners with paying quality people, or just a failure to find quality people, it's been the Pirates issue since Barry Bonds bailed for San Francisco.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
When you cry small market like the Pirates, you have to be able to draft and develop.

The Pirates have not been able to do it, and I don't know if it's cutting corners with paying quality people, or just a failure to find quality people, it's been the Pirates issue since Barry Bonds bailed for San Francisco.
It all starts with ownership. Look at any sports teams with bad ownership and you will see decades of failure that we have with the Buccos. Sad thing, MLB loves it. Nutting is probably making 100 million per and MLB has a 4A organization for the big markets.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I don't think they cheap out on scouting and development anymore.

It's very difficult to win in the MLB running $80m payrolls. It's very difficult when you don't have great management - as much as I rag on Cherington, he isnt awful, just below average. And it's tough when you don't have that middle of the order positional star like they had with Cutch during their good years. They didn't get their Jose Ramirez or Bobby Witt, Jr.

I also think it's psychologically draining to play in this org, that had 4 winning seasons in 30+ years. Everyone is waiting for the shoe to drop, as it has in the last 10 days.

I do believe the team has some helium and could, COULD construct a winner next year. But they will need the bullpen to be a whole lot better and either make the right decision or get lucky with Hayes and Davis. Hayes in particular - it is so corrosive to have a power position and one of the only guys who has gotten paid be an absolute zero offensively. Could Davis be Hunter Renfroe at least? Maybe, but he has to overcome his psychological hurdles at the dish and stop being a baby about playing the outfield. A lot of things broke badly for the offense this year - Hayes being awful, Triolo being awful, Suwinski being Korea bound, Davis being a psychological Trainwreck, Joe cratering in the last 2 months.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
$30mil added and we are a threat and given situation any given night...

...how much are they getting from SHEETZ? Lol... Can someone get a sponsor to fund a batter?

We are playing down around Athletics level
.. And well...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
IMG_0724.jpeg

Pretty cool view of Ortiz warming up. This park is beautiful

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Look I’m not going to say that Petco Park is nicer than PNC Park, but it’s really damn close to it. Damn nice ballpark.
It looks really nice. Location location location is gonna be nicer though... Sorry PA... It's not san diego lol
Mound visit 2 batters into the game after Ortiz drills Profar :laugh:

This is going to be a long game.

Good lord Cruz
Ortiz refuses to make his life easy

And Cruz refuses to help lol

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It looks really nice. Location location location is gonna be nicer though... Sorry PA... It's not san diego lol

Ortiz refuses to make his life easy

And Cruz refuses to help lol

Ortiz can’t hit the zone and Cruz can’t catch. Not a good combo.

Bae absolutely robbed a single there to keep it just a sack fly but this doesn’t look like it’s going to get better. Ortiz just keeps missing.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It's time to fire Cherington and Shelton.

Cherington is more responsible but Shelton needs to earn his money in avoiding 10 game losing streaks. If your team is too psychologically weak to pick one off once in a while, even when you're much worse, you accomplish nothing as manager.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad