OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
nick gonzales.gif

Reactions: BusinessGoose

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Phenomenal heads up play by Cruz. There's no question he's become the engine keeping this offense moving with how he's been able to hit lefties this year, at least seemingly (I'm not looking at a stat sheet). Don't mean that as a slight to Reynolds either.

You have the give the Cardinals credit too. Lynn isn't good, but he's a veteran who has done this to multiple other teams this year. He pitched well and locked down when he had to.

Hayes pinch hitting for maybe the ultimate redemption arc?

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Lol why would you pinch hit Tellez for Hayes? Even if it's a lefty? Hayes isn't just an automatic out, he's an automatic two outs.

• Haha

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I understand wanting to stick with your ace but sending Skenes out for the 9th there is something I simply wouldn't have done. They have far too good of a bullpen to try to push Skenes at 100 pitches into the 9th IMO.

Holderman has a 1.72 ERA, throw him out for the 9th and I'd bet you're getting to the bottom of the 9th tied 1-1.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Cardinals are just better than us. Gutsy effort or beat Skenes, even with how inept our offense is.

Mr Jeff Jimerson

May 9, 2013
What a highly embarrassing and disturbing loss. I'm willing to bet big money very few of the 37k in attendance will be back for another game. Because as fun as it is to watch Skenes pitch, its equally depressing to watch the Buccos try to hit.

Reactions: metalan2

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
That was a gut shot loss, but that's also how the Pirates-Cardinals games have gone for the last several years.

I'm not making this post to excuse a loss in this spot, but sometimes you lose a 2-1 game because the other team is also trying to win and not a pushover. The Cardinals got the better of them this time and got the key hit in a big moment and then executed to secure the win. That's just baseball.

There are no excuses. Tomorrow doesn't look good on paper with Perez on the mound. Have to find a way to win and assert yourselves in the home series.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I understand wanting to stick with your ace but sending Skenes out for the 9th there is something I simply wouldn't have done. They have far too good of a bullpen to try to push Skenes at 100 pitches into the 9th IMO.

Holderman has a 1.72 ERA, throw him out for the 9th and I'd bet you're getting to the bottom of the 9th tied 1-1.
He was a dropped 3rd strike from getting through 9.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
The Cardinals ruined 2013, they ruined the Chris Archer excitement, and now they hand Paul Skenes his first big league loss, in a game in which he should have won.

So, uh, yea, screw that organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad