OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Again rushing here, even with the off day yesterday, but filing this one just to get it in.

Starting record: 34-37
Record over stretch: 6-6
Ending record: 40-43

Fairly simple story: we took both series vs. the Reds and lost both of the other winnable series, against the Rays and Braves. We wasted both of Skenes' starts over this stretch, during which he pitched 13 innings and allowed 2 runs, both on solo shots to start the game, while striking out 17 and further staking his claim to rookie of the year. Perhaps the only bright spot in terms of him personally from the team is that we did enough not to saddle him with losses, though it's not like pitcher losses really matter.

Otherwise, we are doing enough to keep pace with most everyone, but it's a razor thin margin and we are comfortably behind the Brewers now.

I think it's a little easy to dismiss the larger picture and say we are still in it. We're blowing a lot of winnable games, and the root cause of that is that we're a mediocre team in a sea of mediocre teams. If we had managed 2 more wins in this stretch, it wouldn't dramatically change the outlook, but it would put us neck and neck with the Cardinals as we head into this stretch.

Looking ahead: 3 vs. STL, 3 vs. NYM (6 home) + 3 vs. MIL, 3 vs. CHW (6 road)
The stage is still set for an important stretch of 12 games before the all star break. We've got Keller on the mound for a crucial series tonight, and then presumably Skenes starting the Mets series with Keller on Sunday. Combine that with these first 6 coming at home, and you need to start 4-2.

Milwaukee won't be an easy matchup, but unless Skenes is skipped, he should pitch in that series and they are a team that you can beat if you pitch well.

Optimism for more than .500 is pretty baseless at this point, given the offensive woes that always pop their head up in conjunction with at least some shakiness (especially relative to the offense) in the Jones and Falter rotation spots, to say nothing of Perez who got totally shelled and lost the game before we had a chance. That said, you pretty much need over .500 in this stretch of games, to the tun of 7-5 even if that's not really much for a team perpetually 2-3 games under .500 at best.

Having a bad White Sox team (though certainly one that is capable of winning) as the final series provides some relief, and some "flex", if it can be put that way, since a team that executes and fires on all cylinders should be able to sweep them. Teams who have swept them in the past two months or so are the Yankees, Brewers, Dodgers, Orioles, and Blue Jays, and the only team in that group I would put as our peers are the Blue Jays.

Still, 7-5 is a pretty middling baseline, given that it's attainable by winning and avoiding sweeps. I get the feeling that this Cardinals series will really set the tone. At minimum I would love to see us get them and then get some revenge against the Mets, going 4-2 or better, and maybe catch the Brewers sleeping before the break. We haven't seen this team truly put together a consistent winning stretch for 10-12 games, but if they can show something like 8-4 or even (in the most delusionaly optimistic lens possible) 9-3, then that would at least put some more pressure on the front office to put up or shut up.

At the end of the day, I will say 7-5 here at bare minimum, with 8-4 as more realistically the kind of stretch that's needed headed to the break. I'm not holding my breath that that actually happens, since it's felt like we would held in the opposite direction so many times but we've always managed to avoid that too.

I had to go all the way back to the previous locked thread for this writeup. Almost slipped my mind to stay on track given all the hubbub with the draft and the layoff. I made a mistake here in not counting the 4th game of the Mets series.

Starting record: 40-43
Record over stretch: 8-5
Ending record: 48-48

We'll take an 8-5 stretch any day of the week, even if the path we took to get there was a bit frustrating. We dropped a winnable Cardinals series thanks to a poor Keller showing and blowing a Martin Perez masterclass. Then we split a winnable Mets series. But we battled tough on the road to a 5-1 finish with an improbable series victory vs the Brewers and handling business against a fully checked out White Sox team.

From a long view, there's no way to complain, but you can just feel the same issues rearing their head every little bit. Ultimately I think the truth is that we are still on a razor's edge and the season could really go in either direction, which is fitting for such a consistently mediocre team. A lot of people keep pointing at the solid record since Skenes has been promoted, and it's definitely the case that if we maintain that type of pace, we have a very good chance at a wild card berth.

My opinion is that the mediocrity and missed opportunities sort of cut both ways. Mediocrity has helped us stay within striking distance of a really exciting run, as those who might point to Arizona's sub-20% playoff odds last August can point out. We can talk ourselves blue in the face about any frustrating thing that we want to nitpick, but the fundamental reality is that if you are close enough to the playoffs at this time of the year (and especially in 3-4 more weeks), you are in the hunt no matter what. I also think that the feeling of missed opportunity lies equally as much with how many other truly mediocre teams are kicking around, which is something that helps maintain the crazy parity for most every team.

Right now, the White Sox, Marlins, and maybe the Rockies, A's, and Angels are the bottom barrel teams, but the latter three can all grind out wins occasionally. I think it's mainly the Phillies who are the major threat this year, though they scuffled slightly in the last 10 or so games before the break (but winning every single series is hardly sustainable).

Two more things: 1) we are about to truly enter into the gauntlet of the season. Phillies will be tough, then there are 6 games vs a Diamondbacks team in short order, along with Cardinals, Astros, Padresx2, Mariners, and maybe Dodgers with Mookie back. That's the next month, and surviving that with a .500 record still in tact will be tough. I think we'll look back at being swept by the A's and losing a series to the Angels with some real grimacing, as picking up even 3 wins from those 5 losses will feel huge in the coming weeks.

2) The time to take some kind of risk is now. Not only are we in a position to make some kind of run this year, but 2025 isn't guaranteed, even if logically it seems like the window will be more open for us then. The juggernaut teams all have some pretty major weaknesses besides maybe the Phillies. It's hard to feel total confidence that both Skenes and Jones would be capable of a postseason run (and Jones to have the form he showed early on), but the opportunity might be as good now as it will be for several years. And more to the point, even banking on a window that is more open in 2025 requires some investment now. There's no solution to the CF problem in the offseason. Our system is good enough to make a trade and keep producing arms.

Looking ahead: 3 vs. PHI, 3 vs. STL (6 home) + 3 vs. ARI, 3 vs. HOU (6 road)
As I said above, this is the start of a pretty serious month-long gauntlet, so it's put up or shut up time. The Phillies series does not look amazing on paper but as IE said, scratching 2 out of 3, even in ugly fashion, would be enormous in terms of giving us some momentum out of the gate. Assuming Keller isn't hurt or something, having Skenes and Keller vs. St. Louis makes that a "must win" series.

I think we need 7-5 in this stretch. That's enough to plant a flag and really put the management group under a microscope for how they will complement this team at the deadline, which actually falls on game 2 of the Astros series.

6-6 would be plenty survivable, as I don't think the series that follows is quite as tough, though the Padres can be a buzzsaw if they are firing on all cylinders. 5-7 is still maybe enough to hold serve, but it would feel like immediately surrendering that .500 plateau we couldn't get to for so long.

So much feels like it hinges on this Phillies series, because if you open up with a series win, then you have Skenes or Keller going on Monday in all likelihood. I'll close with this: Perez has basically been a tale of two pitchers this season. He either gives you a quality start and stifles the other team to a run or two, or he gets blown up and gives 4-5 before the 5th inning is over and he's out of the game. If he turns in the latter performance tonight against the Phillies, it's probably more like 7-8 and an enormous blow. We do have an off day Thursday before the road trip, but there's still some pressure on him to get into or through the 6th inning to keep the bullpen in good shape for this big stretch.

Outside of basically one start (besides the first one of the year), Nola is pretty much a quality start machine on an average day and pitching into the 7th or 8th on a good day. That means there's almost no margin for error in terms of trying to win a 2-1 or 3-2 type of game. I'll go out on a stupid limb here and make a ridiculous (and ridiculously early) wager: we somehow find a way to turn this improbably matchup into a win, then we make the playoffs. We don't, and it will remain the season of what ifs, as we flounder to something in the mid-to-late 70s win total.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

Still sounds speculative here, but this is well within the wheelhouse of what should be acceptable "risk" to go out and take a shot on a 2.5-3 win player who can play a major position of need competently.

Names are always volatile in guessing these things, but to me this sounds like a package that could be fronted by Harrington and then sweetened with a guy like Yordany de los Santos or Axiel Plaz. Both of the latter are still very young but are showing things that could make them big risers on prospect lists in the next couple of years. Harrington is probably a fringe top-100 guy who looks like he is on track to be a big leaguer. We could shuffle names around, but if you keep Johnson and Chandler and add a big help for 2.5 years, it shouldn't even be a question.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Perez totally coming apart at the seams. That wasn't the easiest play for Hayes but it needs to be made.

Stubbs is one of the worst batters in baseball. There's no reason to try to paint against him.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
New game. Huge AB from Gonzales there as Brown pointed out. That's an AB where if you strikeout, the whole dynamic of the inning changes.

Reactions: td_ice

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Insult to injury in that inning is the walk to Pache.

Almost more frustrating that we went with Perez tonight given that Nola's been very hittable. I was beginning to talk myself into him dodging raindrops through the 5th. Still an ugly game that we can find a way to punch back in. We need some runners and a HR.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
What a mess. The Phillies lineup isn't quite as scary as it's capable of being, but you cannot walk guys like Pache, Stubbs, and Sosa.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
They're getting heart attack close now. Gonna be a sketchy finish.

I hate how on the radio feed, it sounds like a Philly homegame. Come on Yinzers..

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Bash your head against the wall loss if it holds. Maybe their offense is still firing, but a competent starter and 6 runs would not be a loss. Insult to injury is the Phillies getting extra runs due to some badly timed walks.

It's still been a good battle, but man.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Bash your head against the wall loss if it holds. Maybe their offense is still firing, but a competent starter and 6 runs would not be a loss. Insult to injury is the Phillies getting extra runs due to some badly timed walks.

It's still been a good battle, but man.
Yeah, we are 30-6 in games in which we scored 5 or more.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
1721440277329.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad