OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
1721001475631.png

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
The one analyst is super high on this kid. Said in a few years he could have been a 1 overall based on his tools but he needs to develop them.

I just don’t really get it when he’s 5 years out.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Sporting News 1- for- 1 in their Pirates' portion of 3 round mock.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Can't argue with the huge upside at pick 9. Sounds like Washington will take Seaver King and that Rainer might be being floated way down the board.

We'll have to wait and see in terms of bonus leaks as to whether the later picks today have much intrigue.

I like the pick. I like chasing the upside of Griffin even more than Rainer. The guy is 6'4" 210 and stole 85 bases this year. He will need to develop as a hitter, but that's always the case with prep bats.

I'll repeat a point from earlier this morning that it is too easy to look at so-called polished MLB bats and dream on them being on the MLB team next year in some kind of meaningful way. Wyatt Langford is the exception to that, and he's 1) way better than any player taken this year and 2) still adjusting to MLB.

Prep players can take longer to develop, but they can also rocket to MLB if things click well, and turn into a cornerstone player if they hit their right tail outcome. The obvious comp for that scenario is Gunnar Henderson, who was drafted in 2019, debuted in MLB in 2022, won ROY last year, and is now an all star and one of the best young players in the league.

Looking forward to doing some more digging on Griffin in the days ahead over the break. My first reaction is that I hope we develop him as a center fielder.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Claim window opens the day Skenes debuts, draft a player 5 years away to help in his final 2 years.
Theres a chance Jones doesn’t pitch again this season so they will say next season the window opens then in 2 seasons they will trade Keller to help pay skenes and back fill with Chandler They are going to trade chapman and Perez at the deadline and go after bats at the winter meetings

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Now for the next pick, one possibility in that range is the 80-grade name of Jurrangelo Cijntje, a pitcher from MSU who also happens to be a switch-pitcher, but sounds like he will focus on RHP as a pro.

There's also a dude in the draft named Dub Gleed but I don't think he will be picked on day 1.

It will be interesting to see how the board falls for our second pick. I'd like another batter just to diversify holdings, but there are some really good prep arms that could be there as well. There are a number of college bats who could potentially fall into our lap. I'm holding out some hope for a reunion between Skenes and Tommy Tanks, but he doesn't seem like the kind of player we draft.

Reactions: td_ice

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, I mean with that arm and his plus plus speed, I'd love to have a center fielder. He looks just a little stiff on the dirt in the clips I have seen from him, but he seems to have all the tools to be an impact guy in the outfield.

Reactions: Ulf5

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Happy to take BPA. The only guy who could be an impact bat for us next year was Kurtz.

Prospects are fungible, and it's time to flip 1-2 of our top pitching prospects to get ourselves a starting outfielder for the rest of the Skenes era.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
We're still too far away from 37 to have an unrealistic hope, but I'd love if Waldschmidt fell to us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad