OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
beginning to believe.gif

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think it was a combination of Keller not being sharp, game management, and workload management. No reason for him to chase the 5 IP streak, as cool as it is, if there's risk of either injury or taking us way out of the game. He's so crucial to the second half, so I imagine plan A was 5 nice innings for him and it just didn't go that way.

Good job by the bats to hopefully make this sweat free. Relievers just need to get in there and throw strikes.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
He's awful. One of the worst in the business. And he does this often.
I am watching the whitesox coverage they talked about potentially not having a top 5 pick next season because of the rules and have over loses already it makes me feel better
They have been talking about Reynolds and Hayes often

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
As a longtime fan of the Pirates I fell like I know what a bad team looks like. That White Sox team is really, really bad. Still nice to see the sweep and the Pirates back to .500. Any sort of offense and they could actually make the playoffs.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
As a longtime fan of the Pirates I fell like I know what a bad team looks like. That White Sox team is really, really bad. Still nice to see the sweep and the Pirates back to .500. Any sort of offense and they could actually make the playoffs.
They look like very recent Pirates teams. '20-22.

Reactions: TNT87

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Still no FanGraphs day of mock, which I am looking forward to because Eric always seems as plugged in as anyone.

I'd really like the stars to align and Montgomery to fall in our lap. I have seen a couple people concoct scenarios where Caglianone drops, but I think it's tricky. Step 1 would be Bazanna not going #1, which seems like a coin flip but has decent possibility. Step 2 would be the White Sox go with a prep player, which I think does have a viable shot.

Him getting out of the top-5 does seem like much more of a possibility now than it has for the past few weeks. If that happens, things get interesting, because it's not clear exactly where Caglianone's floor is. Honestly, with his chase rate, I don't even know if we'd take him, but I also can't imagine we had thoroughly considered he'd be there because he really does have huge star upside.

Kansas City is a huge wild card, as they could take him, but they are also closely linked to Rainer as well as Smith. If Burns goes 3, Griffin goes 5, and Rainer goes 6, then all of Smith, Caglianone, Montgomery, and Kurtz would be there headed to picks 7-8-9. My sense is that the Cardinals are another wild card, but Smith seems like the kind of player they'd pick, and Caglianone doesn't, though they are also a team that doesn't often get a chance at a talent like Caglianone.

LA seems like the perfect landing spot for a falling Caglianone, because they definitely need potential star power. That said, he's nowhere nears as polished as guys like Schaunel and Neto, so it's likely he wouldn't rush into the majors, but you never know with this team. They are as big or bigger of a wild card as KC IMO.

In any case, I game this all out because I think there's a small chance that Caglianone does slide. I think the circumstances are also there so that Montgomery could slide a little bit (it would be less notable in his case, since he's more clustered in the 5-10 range where there's lots of uncertainty). The way I am reading the late rumors, it's the two high school talents who might go in that 5-8 range. I think there's a decent chance that neither is available when we pick. The lack of true up the middle players in the college group combined with the eventual upside of both prep guys is what makes me settle on that.

Reactions: td_ice

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Caglianone has been my favorite prospect dating back to last year. If that MFer slides I’d be PISSED if we didn’t take him.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The FG day of mock has Cags going 6th to the Royals. I think there's some definite buzz he could slide outside the top 5 and then I think it's anyone's guess what happens.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
If Cags falls past 5 you should be floating him down to 9 with a superior bonus pool. He's the type of home run swing you take at 9 when a ceiling like him comes along. He's got Judge type of power upside.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
If Cags falls past 5 you should be floating him down to 9 with a superior bonus pool. He's the type of home run swing you take at 9 when a ceiling like him comes along. He's got Judge type of power upside.
MLB network was talking about how he wants to be a relief pitcher as well, but doesn't have the leverage that Ohtani did to try something like that.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm inclined to agree. The Pirates also do have a bigger bonus pool than everyone outside of the top-5 teams, so in theory it would be feasible to float him to 9.

Sounds like Bazzana is going to go first, which is less ideal for a big shakeup happening. My final say until we pick:

Would be very nice: Montgomery
Let's irrationally dream on him in PNC by July 2025: Kurtz
Upside always: Griffin
Honorable mention, save some money and go big with the second and third picks: Benge

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Wow, Longenhagen says Burns to the Reds. That was something I saw floated before but not recently. First slight shakeup, and I think good news for Montgomery or Kurtz getting to our pick.

Reactions: WickedWrister

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Yeah, push more bats down to us.

I'm inclined to agree. The Pirates also do have a bigger bonus pool than everyone outside of the top-5 teams, so in theory it would be feasible to float him to 9.

Sounds like Bazzana is going to go first, which is less ideal for a big shakeup happening. My final say until we pick:

Would be very nice: Montgomery
Let's irrationally dream on him in PNC by July 2025: Kurtz
Upside always: Griffin
Honorable mention, save some money and go big with the second and third picks: Benge
Who are you hoping we avoid?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad