OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Like, the Cubs are not even THAT good. I could see the stars lining up that they get a single dominant win.
But good lord, this whole series they've made us look silly. Which.. I guess it's accurate.

I think the Cubs looked awesome on paper heading into the season. Happ, Suzuki, Bellinger is a very good offensive core. They converted Morel to Paredes. Swanson isn't cooked and Hoerner is a very good player.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I think the Cubs looked awesome on paper heading into the season. Happ, Suzuki, Bellinger is a very good offensive core. They converted Morel to Paredes. Swanson isn't cooked and Hoerner is a very good player.
Yeah there weakness was pitching and Pen but they had a line up

Reactions: Factorial

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
The Pirates are about to fall to 0-2 since Yasmani Grandal said the team still believes in itself, and the fans should still believe, after his walk-off home run on Sunday.

The pitching staff allowed 27 runs in those two games.

I'm going to go ahead and make a command decision and say that there is zero belief from the fans, and the team checked out after the Houston series.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
If Jared Jones is just a high potential arm who had a good opening run, there is really no excuse for Cherington to keep his job.

The organization isn't really in a better place than they were in 2019 aside from Paul Skenes existing.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
If Jared Jones is just a high potential arm who had a good opening run, there is really no excuse for Cherington to keep his job.

The organization isn't really in a better place than they were in 2019 aside from Paul Skenes existing.
You aren't excited for all of those high picked hitters to be overmatched at the MLB level?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
You aren't excited for all of those high picked hitters to be overmatched at the MLB level?
The high-picked hitters are already here. It's Davis - likely an outright bust who Miami rejected - and Gonzales who I'm holding out some hope for.

I truly don't understand hanging onto Haines. It is baffling in of itself, and I don't think hitting coaches do much.

When Cherington had assets to spend on hitters, he spent on Hanley Ramirez, Pablo Sandoval and Rusney Castillo. He has a very long track record of being wrong. I mean, sh1t, the same ownership hanging onto Mike Sullivan 7 years after his Cup basically fired/demoted Cherington 2 years after his. They knew he isn't good at this.

Of course fire Shelton too, I don't care.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
The high-picked hitters are already here. It's Davis - likely an outright bust who Miami rejected - and Gonzales who I'm holding out some hope for.

I truly don't understand hanging onto Haines. It is baffling in of itself, and I don't think hitting coaches do much.

When Cherington had assets to spend on hitters, he spent on Hanley Ramirez, Pablo Sandoval and Rusney Castillo. He has a very long track record of being wrong. I mean, sh1t, the same ownership hanging onto Mike Sullivan 7 years after his Cup basically fired/demoted Cherington 2 years after his. They knew he isn't good at this.

Of course fire Shelton too, I don't care.
Since Nutting isn't going anywhere, sadly, everyone below him needs to be gone.

WTF is Travis Williams' job? Gone.

Cherington? Gone.

Assistants under Cherington? Gone.

Shelton and the MLB staff? Gone.

And then get to work on the MiLB staff from Indy down to Bradenton.

This all costs money, though, so it probably won't happen.

since70

Sep 27, 2016
I see everyone saying the hitting coach doesn't really do anything, isn't he responsible for trying to straighten out guys when they're going bad and offering solutions, so if he's awful at what he does, then doesn't he do more harm than good, and if the organizations he was with improved after he left doesn't that say that he does affect the on field product?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I see everyone saying the hitting coach doesn't really do anything, isn't he responsible for trying to straighten out guys when they're going bad and offering solutions, so if he's awful at what he does, then doesn't he do more harm than good, and if the organizations he was with improved after he left doesn't that say that he does affect the on field product?

I've never said Haines should stay. He was a bad hire, it would be fantastic if he were fired today. To your point, the Brewers are better without him.

But how much do you think he makes? How much do hitting coaches make, period? Baseball is such an efficient sport; don't you think if the hitting coach was the linchpin of offensive productivity they would be making millions of dollars per year?
Hitting is instinctual. Henry Davis came up to bat yesterday and proceeded to miss a bunch of pitches because he can't hit MLB pitching. He has barely been back here. What was Haines supposed to do with that?

I think the coach bros on this thread just can't acknowledge that Cherington has done a terrible job of assembling talent throughout the organization. Many of them have a subtext "Cherington is doing pretty well; his weakness is just loyalty to Shelton and Haines." That is simply untrue.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I've never said Haines should stay. He was a bad hire, it would be fantastic if he were fired today. To your point, the Brewers are better without him.

But how much do you think he makes? How much do hitting coaches make, period? Baseball is such an efficient sport; don't you think if the hitting coach was the linchpin of offensive productivity they would be making millions of dollars per year?
Hitting is instinctual. Henry Davis came up to bat yesterday and proceeded to miss a bunch of pitches because he can't hit MLB pitching. He has barely been back here. What was Haines supposed to do with that?

I think the coach bros on this thread just can't acknowledge that Cherington has done a terrible job of assembling talent throughout the organization. Many of them have a subtext "Cherington is doing pretty well; his weakness is just loyalty to Shelton and Haines." That is simply untrue.
Two things are almost certainly both true:

1. Andy Haines isn't good at his job and they can do better.

2. Major league hitters are unlikely to be THAT impacted by a hitting coach. You can make some tweaks here and there but the idea that entire approaches and swings are going to be changed on the fly at the major league level is not realistic.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Defending Cruz or Shelton should get you punched in the face at this point.
punched.gif

This shouldn't have been an error on Cruz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad