OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

since70

Sep 27, 2016
There's nothing in the past 25 or so years that says the Pirates care about results or make anyone accountable, it's only when the pitchforks and torches come out, then they'll placate the masses, and it becomes wash, rinse, repeat all over. We used to call teams like the Pirates, A's, White Sox second division clubs, there still must be money in being perennial also-rans, which means MLB will never address the issue.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I don't think there was anyone thought in the organization for Cruz moving out of SS in the off-season, though. Not only was it undetermined for how well he could defend at the MLB level at SS, but he was also coming off a major ankle injury that would have made learning a new position even more challenging.

I think they just got to the point where they decided a 26 year old Cruz wasn't going to get to the level they wanted defensively at SS, so they're shuffling him around to see where he fits if not SS. It's probably not going to be CF either, but they'll just have to keep trying until they find a fit. My bet: he either settles in at LF or 1B.
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt when they don't actually screw up the development of a talented young player. They haven't earned it so far.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The one take on Cruz to CF that I think I can will myself into agreeing with is the kind of wait and see approach that is contingent on the offseason. I don't like the positional tradeoff at all and I don't think it's the best thing to throw this in a player's lap out of nowhere in the middle of a season where things went sideways for the MLB team because the GM sucks and the owner is worse.

But it is still within the cards that Cruz can't give you enough back to remain at SS, and he should have the tools to make it work in CF. It was always potentially in the cards for him, so we'll see.

It also doesn't need to be reiterated that we can't develop for shit, as others are noting, and that what I am about to say is most ridiculous at all and deserves no benefit of the doubt WHATSOEVER. That said...

If the team is making the decision that Cruz to CF is the only viable way to try and solve CF because of the market, AND THEN is also going to really spend money to improve the offense and sure up depth as needed, that's the scenario where I am most willing to ride with the decision. That means Anthony Santander or Teoscar Hernandez almost as a starting point, which is frankly a ludicrous thought.

But I don't see any real alternative situations. At CF, maybe you can pull off some kind of improbable trade for a guy like Varsho, but that's really the main trade option out there. Maybe you pay the slight premium for Bader and it works ok. That's basically it for CF options. There's nothing else internally, so if it's just a matter of making a big move now to try and set up the opportunity to really add the needed offensive talent this winter, then I'm willing to overlook what I see as a kind of short-sighted and self-inflicted problem.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I definitely agree about needing to add a legit OFer this off-season, especially if you assume that Reynolds moves to DH as soon as McCutchen retires. McCutchen is still a productive hitter, but his health plus lack of ability to play defense is an annoying thing to deal with if he comes back.

We all know they won't do it and they'll just go with Reynolds, Cruz and De La Cruz in the OF for next year. I just hope that one of Yorke or Cook can lock down a spot and push either Reynolds to DH or De La Cruz to the bench.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
If they were going to do this, I really don't get why it had to happen now. Just finish out the season and then switch him in the offseason when he can actually work on it and do so without all the media attention. I feel like they put him in a really bad place by throwing this at him now. I can't imagine he is particularly happy about it.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I did laugh when Cutch was talking about Jazz going from 2nd to OF not Tatis and say he was going to talk to him because it’s obvious he is mad.
If we assume Ikf is the ss next season. Yorke as a super sub will triolo
Where is the money for fa bats going to be spent

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
If they were going to do this, I really don't get why it had to happen now. Just finish out the season and then switch him in the offseason when he can actually work on it and do so without all the media attention. I feel like they put him in a really bad place by throwing this at him now. I can't imagine he is particularly happy about it.
I agree with that too. It's hard not to think that this is going to make it really hard to extend Cruz in any capacity.

I guess in some sense, there's utility in getting him the game action now when the games really do not matter (and if anything, we want better draft lotto odds, as pathetic as that is), but knowing the way this team operates, he's just gonna DH a bunch and maybe play 10 games max in CF.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I agree with that too. It's hard not to think that this is going to make it really hard to extend Cruz in any capacity.

I guess in some sense, there's utility in getting him the game action now when the games really do not matter (and if anything, we want better draft lotto odds, as pathetic as that is), but knowing the way this team operates, he's just gonna DH a bunch and maybe play 10 games max in CF.
They sent bae down theres no CF on the roster this is like Billy Bean trading Pena so Hatinburg had to play 1st

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Again, this is a nice distraction from the terrible job of building up this organization that Cherington has done. At some point he needs to be held accountable for what the major league team and the overall minors look like, and they are both devoid of any hitters brought in by Cherington.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It is time we properly cast Jones: a high-potential prospect who showed initial success which is promising. But a serious org would not have him as their #2 pitcher headed into next season. He is a prospect.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Like, the Cubs are not even THAT good. I could see the stars lining up that they get a single dominant win.
But good lord, this whole series they've made us look silly. Which.. I guess it's accurate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad