Raise the Jolly Roger - Are You Ready For 98 Wins & An Absurdly Early Off-Season?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
When someone asks you about the Oakland A's of the last 15 years, what's your first thought?

What does that have to do with anything? The A's have never been able to win the ALDS. The last 2 years the Bucs have been shut down by pitchers in the middle of historic runs. Nice strawman though.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Real nice season flushed down the toilet thanks to an idiotic playoff format.

I look forward to reading about how this is all Jordy Mercer's fault.

Any way you shake it 3 teams are getting screwed in this mockery...and we drew the short straw of that situation.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
Cole threw a fastball closer than that earlier in the game and the ump didn't budge

Eeek.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Pittsburgh sports fans are bandwagoners. I say that being from there.

You won't find many cities more passionate about their sports teams than Pittsburgh. All sports fans are bandwagoners. You've always seemed to have a weird distaste for people from the city.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
It's been a different blue behind the plate each Arrieta game and they are all giving him 6 inches off each side and about a foot-ish below the knees... they can't all be that bad in the exact same way for the same pitcher, and not the other.

MLB umpires are seriously terrible this year calling balls and strikes.

#PinkertonTheUmpireUnion

#RoboUmps

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
What does that have to do with anything? The A's have never been able to win the ALDS. The last 2 years the Bucs have been shut down by pitchers in the middle of historic runs. Nice strawman though.

Not a strawman at all. I'm asking you to remove yourself from your fandom to give me an honest opinion of another team who doesn't get it done in the playoffs, and maybe get you to think that you don't want to end up as that team.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
What? How many teams won 99+ this year? 1. It's absolutely stupid to knock the organization this year. The team is excellent.

Being excellent doesn't mean they are not without need.

Aramiz Ramirez was their big acquisition, and they didn't even play him in their biggest game of the year.

Meaning....being excellent is not enough if the parts can't get the job done when it matters.

Get the parts you need and you are not playing in a one and done flip of the coin game.

This is why you all are suckers.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
You won't find many cities more passionate about their sports teams than Pittsburgh. All sports fans are bandwagoners. You've always seemed to have a weird distaste for people from the city.

Seriously. Find me a city that shows up and follows losers.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The strike zone didn't make the difference in this one, but it sure isn't helping. Completely ridiculous.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Pittsburgh sports fans are bandwagoners. I say that being from there.

That first word is completely unnecessary. Every city has bandwagoners...and the city we're losing to quite literally has about 3 times as many as we do.

And the Pirates are in an interesting situation here since the team most of us grew up with was the worst franchise in sports.

Steve Durbano

Mar 27, 2011
Burbs of Bmore
Well let's be honest, we knew this was coming from the Sunday that Arrieta beat them before the playoffs. I wasn't even excited to watch this.

And it's playing out exactly as I expected.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
That first word is completely unnecessary. Every city has bandwagoners...and the city we're losing to quite literally has about 3 times as many as we do.

And the Pirates are in an interesting situation here since the team most of us grew up with was the worst franchise in sports.

This this this this. Good lord this. And I know a group of people who stood by the Buccos, including a lot here, when they were in the dumps. Just like the X-Gen Pens. Every city does the same thing. Pittsburghers are relatively strong supporters of their city, regardless.

That's why when people leave this city, they never really leave. They tell people they are from Pittsburgh and they cheer black and gold til they die. Their children do it, too, and never even lived here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wishlist for this summer:

-Get someone who can actually get a hit off a good pitcher
-Get a pitcher that doesn't fold in high pressure situations

LIke it's comical at this point. We have Cutch and Kang who can get a hit off a good pitcher. That's it.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
My dad is a gigantic baseball fan, and I never really was because they were always terrible. I enjoy going to games, but I really lack those memories as a young guy that I have with the Pens. Not mentioning, I remember being a kid, sitting at Three Rivers, it's 97 degrees outside, I'm in the sun, and completely bored out of my mind, and the Pirates got creamed. That didn't help build a love for baseball at all.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Not a strawman at all. I'm asking you to remove yourself from your fandom to give me an honest opinion of another team who doesn't get it done in the playoffs, and maybe get you to think that you don't want to end up as that team.

You are comparing a team that has struggled in the playoffs for over a decade to a team that has been there for 3 years, 2 of which where they ran into unhittable aces. Remove yourself from the disappointment of this particular game and realize that this team's window is wide open for years to come.

Being excellent doesn't mean they are not without need.

Aramiz Ramirez was their big acquisition, and they didn't even play him in their biggest game of the year.

Meaning....being excellent is not enough if the parts can't get the job done when it matters.

Get the parts you need and you are not playing in a one and done flip of the coin game.

This is why you all are suckers.

The Cards won 100. Last team to do that was 4 seasons ago. It's no failure that the Bucs failed to win the division. They won more games than 28 teams this year. If we are suckers, the word that describes you is likely not to be uttered on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad