GDT: RAGNARÖKR CLAN SKOGVAKTARE @ CLAN STORMNING AKA GAME 7 NEW YORK RANGERS @ CAROLINA HURRICANES

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Rangers got lucky. But Carolina needs to improve that defense. Also thinking Andersen and Raanta would solve their goaltending issues given their injury history was bizarre.

Feel like this summer potentially makes or breaks the future of the Canes. Can’t keep bleeding good players to save money.
Not trying to start anything... But didn't the canes just lead the league in fewest goals allowed?

I've been thoroughly impressed with the defense you guys roll out there. Big, mobile, smart, skilled.

I don't think defense is the issue. I don't think offense is the issue. I think it was just bad luck. Igor was red hot.

Shit happens.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Rangers got lucky. But Carolina needs to improve that defense. Also thinking Andersen and Raanta would solve their goaltending issues given their injury history was bizarre.

Feel like this summer potentially makes or breaks the future of the Canes. Can’t keep bleeding good players to save money.

To inform: They spend to the cap….it’s more about allocation and player selection at this point.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Not trying to start anything... But didn't the canes just lead the league in fewest goals allowed?

I've been thoroughly impressed with the defense you guys roll out there. Big, mobile, smart, skilled.

I don't think defense is the issue. I don't think offense is the issue. I think it was just bad luck. Igor was red hot.

Shit happens.
Um Offense is an issue.. 13 goals in 7 games will get you BEAT more times then not.. and when we got Igor out of position we Went Wide Right Over the top or wide left..
But our PK Being Terrible is what sank us..

Cormag001

Feb 9, 2019
Igor got better as the series went on. The wheels fell off for Raanta (and Kotchetkov).

Carolina had abysmal puck movement all series long. They were able to generate halfway "dangerous" chances by throwing the puck on net, but never able to play with any sort of grace or finesse. Rangers were incredible at blocking shots and getting in the passing lanes tonight.

Really hope Svechnikov learns how to put the puck on the net more often. He's got all the tools of an elite goalscorer but simply whiffs or misfires far too often. Carolina needs it to take the next step.

Gotta give the Rangers credit, they have a good, fun team. I suspect they may have a more difficult time when their goalie is the second best in the series -- but I'm excited to see how they do.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Um Offense is an issue.. 13 goals in 7 games will get you BEAT more times then not.. and when we got Igor out of position we Went Wide Right Over the top or wide left..
But or PK Being Terrible is what sank us..
13 goals sure.. but the expected goals was tilted wildly in your favor. Sometimes a goalie beats you. Either way I'm bowing out from this thread.. as a NYR fan living in the south I'm totally aware of the disrespect the southern teams get. I happen to disagree that there's anything wrong with your team. Most of these games were tilted badly in your favor. Again.. Igor's up for the hart for a reason.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
Look, barring some unexpected development, this team will not have an elite core group. It will just be very good. Very good can win a Cup or get close, but it'll be in the mold of an Anaheim/Washington/St. Louis (a one off). A moment like this is part of the process.

In the short-term, I would like to see the special teams woes addressed externally. This is now 4 playoff runs in a row with a PK that will get run over when facing an elite PP and a PP that doesn't come close to compensating for it. I'm beyond hoping that the guys will magically get it together. This is a roster problem now, imo.
I don't see how it's a roster problem if the same roster manages to execute the PK with league-leading 88% success in regular season. To me that's more a failure of coaching and failing to adapt the PK in a series where you face the same elite team for 4-7 rounds.

It might be that this aggressive forecheck style PK works better in regular season, but elite teams may find a way to work around it like we saw with Tampa last year, where they essentially scored a couple of empty nets on the PP when Carolina forwards where out of position.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Let’s be honest the change of boo hoo big bad Tom Wilson got in a scrum and hurt a player who jumped him to Trouba has never had a dirty hit and Reaves and co play clean is the lamest narrative in these playoffs.

Rangers fans showing their true colors which we all knew. Can’t stand that fan base.

Here's the f***ing thing

Tom Wilson is the reason the Rags are where they are now. We can say whatever the f*** we want about how that all went down, but that team realized they were a bunch of weak p***yes and bulked up so they wouldn't be pushed around anymore and whaddya know, now they are in the ECF after humiliating us while knocking out several players on both the Canes and Pens with absolutely no threat of retaliation. They saw their own weakness and turned it into a strength.

Its been 4 goddamn years of getting our teeth kicked in and watching our team mentally shit all over itself in the playoffs and we are still waiting on our front office to learn that same lesson.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

What good players have we been bleeding ?

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
This core cannot win a cup
I'm starting to think the same to be honest.

Having Andersen in the playoffs would have probably helped us more, but our star players just aren't performing at the level they should, and most importantly, WHEN they should. However, finally improving the power play would make a big f***ing difference in the play offs through hiring a PP coach guru, and getting a player(s) that are good on the PP.

We don't have super stars, and our depth, as good as it is, isn't pushing us to the cup (let alone making the conference finals for the 1st time since 2019).

"And Reaves finishes his check and it's called interference"

Didn't somebody call us paranoid about ESPN openly rooting for the Rangers? Jack Edwards is less of a f***ing homer.
Lol. They were clearly biased throughout the series against Carolina.

Yeah, a Canes fan was getting on me for calling out how ESPN always interviewed someone from the Rangers both times during the 1st intermission (with the lone exception of game 6, but my previous comment was before that after game 5 iirc).

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Have you seen what playoff Dougie Hamilton looks like?

I dont think anyone on this board misses him. A lot of us thought we would.
should say a lot that I'm pining for Justin Faulk and don't really give a damn that we moved on from Dougie. Great personality, but give me Faulk's defensive game, intensity, and elite moustache every time over him, doubly so in the playoffs.

Heyheylj

Jul 24, 2021
These *are* results. Winning a cup is f***ing hard, and he's consistently put us in a place to contend. A coach can only do so much. Ultimately, it's on the players to execute, and I don't know how you can watch things like that turd of a series and think that there's anything the coach can do but stick a cattle prod up the ass of some players.

In the past, we either missed or went deep. Now we're experiencing what it's like to be a consistent playoff team. Playoffs are painful and unpredictable even for the best of teams, and every playoff team ends their season on a loss except for one. We want to win a cup, but to win a cup, a lot of shit has to break your way and you need a special magic in a group of players. Coaches can't force that. And lots of teams that do have those things still fall short, because only one team can win every year.
Totally agree! Even the year we won the cup, things aligned-you could feel they were something special. This year they were a good team, but they weren’t great, and that is why they are done. I believe in Rod, I believe in our team, we will learn and grow and hopefully catch some magic and a little more luck next year.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
13 goals sure.. but the expected goals was tilted wildly in your favor. Sometimes a goalie beats you. Either way I'm bowing out from this thread.. as a NYR fan living in the south I'm totally aware of the disrespect the southern teams get. I happen to disagree that there's anything wrong with your team. Most of these games were tilted badly in your favor. Again.. Igor's up for the hart for a reason.

I don't give a shit about expected goals. That bullshit made us look good to fancystats guys while we were shitting the sheets annually under Bill Peters.

Fact of the matter is, our offense shit itself this postseason. Our best players were our worst performers. Our power play finished the year at something like an atrocious 10 for 97. Everything that worked for us in November was dogshit in May.

We collapse when we can't control matchups. We have no players that we can rely on to take over a game offensively. Our entire game plan is to hope Staal and Slavin shut down the opposing scorers long enough for us to get a goal and then pack it in. And if that doesn't happen, welp, that sucks for us.

That's not sustainable in the playoffs and yet our front office is seemingly doubling down on that as a strategy. Domi was a mistake at the deadline. Bear was a mistake in the off-season. Not trading Necas for Tarasenko looks like a huge f***ing mistake. Having a PP that cannot run without TDA doing literally everything is a mistake.

Good news is, after this playoff failure, the excuses are going to run dry. It's inexcusable that the team has looked as consistently overwhelmed on the road as they did.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Here's the f***ing thing

Tom Wilson is the reason the Rags are where they are now. We can say whatever the f*** we want about how that all went down, but that team realized they were a bunch of weak p***yes and bulked up so they wouldn't be pushed around anymore and whaddya know, now they are in the ECF after humiliating us while knocking out several players on both the Canes and Pens with absolutely no threat of retaliation. They saw their own weakness and turned it into a strength.

Its been 4 goddamn years of getting our teeth kicked in and watching our team mentally shit all over itself in the playoffs and we are still waiting on our front office to learn that same lesson.
You don't think maybe that Igor Shesterkin guy might have had a little something to do with it?

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
should say a lot that I'm pining for Justin Faulk and don't really give a damn that we moved on from Dougie. Great personality, but give me Faulk's defensive game, intensity, and elite moustache every time over him, doubly so in the playoffs.

Yeah I noticed watching him in the playoffs. He was so intense.

Just wish Faulk was a step or two quicker, because he is sloooow.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
I don't give a shit about expected goals. That bullshit made us look good to fancystats guys while we were shitting the sheets annually under Bill Peters.

Fact of the matter is, our offense shit itself this postseason. Our best players were our worst performers. Our power play finished the year at something like an atrocious 10 for 97. Everything that worked for us in November was dogshit in May.

We collapse when we can't control matchups. We have no players that we can rely on to take over a game offensively. Our entire game plan is to hope Staal and Slavin shut down the opposing scorers long enough for us to get a goal and then pack it in. And if that doesn't happen, welp, that sucks for us.

That's not sustainable in the playoffs and yet our front office is seemingly doubling down on that as a strategy. Domi was a mistake at the deadline. Bear was a mistake in the off-season. Not trading Necas for Tarasenko looks like a huge f***ing mistake. Having a PP that cannot run without TDA doing literally everything is a mistake.

Good news is, after this playoff failure, the excuses are going to run dry. It's inexcusable that the team has looked as consistently overwhelmed on the road as they did.
Funny thing about sports and being a fan. I literally think the exact opposite of this.

I think they went out and got some grit when what they needed was a Vezina caliber goalie and more scoring depth. If you can find gritty tough guys that can score that's a plus.

Reactions: Tryamw

MWCanes

Feb 8, 2021
Re Dougie Hamilton.. He’s a solid player and he did some good things for us (despite being a defensive liability at times—and shying away from contact at the worst possible times)—but he simply wasn’t worth the money he was asking.

Re the ESPN broadcast team…They were laughably biased the entire series but there were some moments that surprised even me—like when the Rags scored their second goal tonight, the play by play guy yelled “YES!” You would’ve thought his kid had just knocked in the winning run at the little league World Series.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
In fairness to the goaltending and defense, they are playing high end competition year after year. Boston's PP converted at a 28.8% rate outside of that series in 2019. Tampa also converted at 28.8% outside of the series last playoff. In smaller sample sizes, the Rangers put up a 31.6% spot against the Pens last round. Boston wasn't far behind against Tampa in the Bubble (29.4%).

If a PP, particularly a hot one, can simply outexecute a PK, the team's PP has no excuse. 1 for 14 against Boston in 2019. 2 for 15 against Boston in 2020. 2 for 14 against Tampa in 2021. 2 for 18 against the Rangers this go around. That's 11.5% in those series. The total special teams goal differential in those 21 games: -17.

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
I fully endorse what Matthew says, and not just because he and I have the same exact name, but because he's right.

Also, if "Carolina" is such an awful hockey town, why do those carpet-bagging f***ers keep moving here? Some big time "the lazy Mexicans are going to come here and steal our jobs!" energy there.
Exactly!

Although in Clifford's defense, I'd guess he's right that Carolina, WV is a terrible hockey town.

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
Re the ESPN broadcast team…They were laughably biased the entire series but there were some moments that surprised even me—like when the Rags scored their second goal tonight, the play by play guy yelled “YES!” You would’ve thought his kid had just knocked in the winning run at the little league World Series.
Money talks. They knew which big market would pay their bonuses.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
In fairness to the goaltending and defense, they are playing high end competition year after year. Boston's PP converted at a 28.8% rate outside of that series in 2019. Tampa also converted at 28.8% outside of the series last playoff. In smaller sample sizes, the Rangers put up a 31.6% spot against the Pens last round. Boston wasn't far behind against Tampa in the Bubble (29.4%).

If a PP, particularly a hot one, can simply outexecute a PK, the team's PP has no excuse. 1 for 14 against Boston in 2019. 2 for 15 against Boston in 2020. 2 for 14 against Tampa in 2021. 2 for 18 against the Rangers this go around. That's 11.5% in those series. The total special teams goal differential in those 21 games: -17.

I don't know how anyone can look at these numbers and not come to the conclusion that Brindy needs to hire someone who knows how to coach a PP.

At what point does the front office force the issue there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad