Race to the bottom - Rebuild thread #2.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Mar 14, 2011
Schenn -> JVR
Kadri
Rielly

We've drafted well with our high picks.

Well we still dont know what we have with Rielly so I'll leave him for now, but Schenn with the 5th pick is terrible value, luckily Burke was able to work his magic on Homer with this one. Kadri with the 7th pick was a good one thou, especially if you consider the players picked after him. Ok, I may have jump the gun with this one but our scouts have been underwhelming when it comes to drafting top6F/top4D in general. With the exception of Gunnar, its been way too long since the leafs drafted one with a 2nd-7th round pick.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
We just entered the 'prime' of this team, last year was truly our first year of actual contention and we are very much still a building team fill with young players.

Essentially our Window has just begun, players like Kadri, Gardiner, Rielly will continue to get better, while Kessel, JVR, Lupul, Phaneuf will be in their prime for the next 4-5 years roughly.

Add a piece like an M richards and who knows what could happen, LA BARELY made the playoffs the year they won the cup, many fans were calling for Brown to be traded and bam they pulled off the carter trade and went on a huge streak to squeek in. They were only a year or two removed from drafting B schenn 5th overall.

We dont have to mortgage the future if it's the right trade, we now have an expendable #1 goalie, an expendable C in Bozak(if its for another C) an expendable D in Franson etc. And if we get a guy like Girardi in FA, things will look alot brighter.

This is not our year, I dont think anyone expected it to be, I thought we'd look better than we have, but we are still largely a bubble playoff team.

You may be one of the most realistic posters in this thread. I wouldn't even see the team is in it's prime yet. Gardiner, Kadri, (both goalies), JVR, Rielly and maybe even Kessel haven't hit their prime. Kessel Kadri and JVR look to be on career years goal(point) wise and Gardiner is looking like a great young defencemen. This team defiantly has holes, but that is seriously not a bad looking core.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
We just entered the 'prime' of this team, last year was truly our first year of actual contention and we are very much still a building team fill with young players.

Essentially our Window has just begun, players like Kadri, Gardiner, Rielly will continue to get better, while Kessel, JVR, Lupul, Phaneuf will be in their prime for the next 4-5 years roughly.

Add a piece like an M richards and who knows what could happen, LA BARELY made the playoffs the year they won the cup, many fans were calling for Brown to be traded and bam they pulled off the carter trade and went on a huge streak to squeek in. They were only a year or two removed from drafting B schenn 5th overall.

We dont have to mortgage the future if it's the right trade, we now have an expendable #1 goalie, an expendable C in Bozak(if its for another C) an expendable D in Franson etc. And if we get a guy like Girardi in FA, things will look alot brighter.

This is not our year, I dont think anyone expected it to be, I thought we'd look better than we have, but we are still largely a bubble playoff team.

That's the thing though, they made great value picks (look at their 2nd round drafting for the past 5 years) that let them trade pieces like B. Schenn without really risking their future. What do we have prospect wise? Maybe a defensive 2nd like center in Gauthier? 2nd line winger in Leivo? Our defensive pool is our strongest and it's mostly full of #4-6 defensemen. Not to mention that they already had a #1C in Kopitar and a top 10 D in Doughty. Carter/Richards/Scuderi were complimentary pieces to put them over the top. We need a core to compliment is the problem.

I just don't think this team's core can be relied as a consistent playoff contender. Pieces like Girardi will hide that for a season or two, sure, but the problems are still there.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
That's the thing though, they made great value picks (look at their 2nd round drafting for the past 5 years) that let them trade pieces like B. Schenn without really risking their future. What do we have prospect wise? Maybe a defensive 2nd like center in Gauthier? 2nd line winger in Leivo? Our defensive pool is our strongest and it's mostly full of #4-6 defensemen. Not to mention that they already had a #1C in Kopitar and a top 10 D in Doughty. Carter/Richards/Scuderi were complimentary pieces to put them over the top. We need a core to compliment is the problem.

I just don't think this team's core can be relied as a consistent playoff contender. Pieces like Girardi will hide that for a season or two, sure, but the problems are still there.

We have Dion (arguable a top 15 defender), JVR(young solid 1st liner winger), Bernier/Riemer (2 qualified nhl starters) and Kessel (a top 5 winger). Not to mention we have Rielly and Kadri who haven't even finished moving there way up the line up. You add the complimentary pieces and any team looks way better but there is no denying we have solid pieces.

Last edited:

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Well we still dont know what we have with Rielly so I'll leave him for now, but Schenn with the 5th pick is terrible value, luckily Burke was able to work his magic on Homer with this one. Kadri with the 7th pick was a good one thou, especially if you consider the players picked after him. Ok, I may have jump the gun with this one but our scouts have been underwhelming when it comes to drafting top6F/top4D in general. With the exception of Gunnar, its been way too long since the leafs drafted one with a 2nd-7th round pick.

No denying the 2nd-7th rounds but your comment was directed towards a top pick.

Regarding our scouting department we've gone from abysmal (pre-Morrison era) to decent. It's a major improvement but not at the level we need to be, especially being the richest team in hockey.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012

This is kind of a grass is greener idea i think you're getting at.

The LA franchise did not look good prior to that season, we just drafted Rielly so oyu could say he is our B Schenn draft pick. We could easily Package Gardiner+Reimer+1st for a young centre, and continue with this core(not easily, but the value is there.)

We are not near an LA team yet though, still a few pieces away, but we do have some expendable value that can possibly attain those pieces.

But as for our core not being good enough? That's debateable really, Phaneuf is a top 15 defender, stats definitely support this(arguable top 10). Kessel is a top 10 winger scoring wise, JVR compliments him with size/driving the net, but there is no big centre to give them space.

We have fantastic winger depth, and a solid #2-3 with Kadri and Bolland.

Build with this core, see how far we can go, get the right supporting cast. Our high pick drafting days are done.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
didnt know his career was over... and clarkson scored 30 one year and in 48 games already had 15 last year, putting him on pace for around 27ishn goals? (estimating here) He might be in a slump right now, but i see him creating chances, he stands out and and in my opinion that just means hes snakebitten right now. When he pots one and starts rolling in some goals, the combinations of that plus his toughness will make a lot of the haters change there whistle...

LOL, toughness. He's not that tough and nobody is scared of him. Grabovski was tougher than him. He might get hot and score some goals but he will be extremely lucky to get 20. He's slow and has no skill. He does a great job of cleaning the ice, though. For a big, strong, tough guy, he goes down more than a Thai hooker. This will end up being the worst contract in Leaf, if not NHL, history. Stop making excuses for him. HE IS NOT GOOD. Those "haters" (****in tool) you talk about are realists. They see him for what he is- a third liner (at best) sold to gullible Leaf fans as some type of saviour with "intangibles". WAKE UP!

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I dont think we need a full rebuild, but I do think we need to be more proactive with asset management.

Decisions we made 3-10 years ago in terms of asset management have a huge impact on this current team. Rask for Raycroft, 1st/2nd/3rd for Toskala, Tlusty for Paradis, not getting good value for Kubina, McCabe, Sundin, Tucker, etc, and more recently Grabovski/MacArthur. we allowed our best trade assets to devalue to the point where they were worth very little or we just let them walk for nothing/bought them out, and then we in turn paid premium prices for unproven players who ultimatley failed.

If we want to help build a team that can be contenders for 10+ years, look at what teams like Chicago/Boston do. Theyre willing to sell off high-priced RFAs / good solid players in their primes that are pending UFAs. Kessel, Versteeg, Ladd, Byfgulien, Brouwer, Bolland, etc traded for picks/prospects.

We have Phaneuf, Bolland, Kulemin, Raymond, etc as pending UFAs, Gardiner, Franson, Reimer, etc as pending RFAs. We should try and get Phaneuf resigned, and then i would hope to keep one of Gardiner/Franson.. Other than that, i think all those guys could be potential trade chips, and just becuase we might take a slight hit in competitive ability this year by trading 2-3 of those guys, if its going to help us become more competitive down the line, i dont see the problem. We're not winning th Cup this year anyways, may as well try to get value on the fly.

Identify the core (I would say its Kessel, JVR, Rielly, Bernier or Reimer, Phaneuf if signed, and Kadri), other than that, if you can get good value for a guy youre about to lose for nothing, or for an RFA that cant fit salary-wise, or even if you can get an overpayment for a guy signed with term.. You have to consider it, and even actively try and do it. Ideally you move pending UFAs at the draft the year before, so that you dont have to move them mid-season, as Pits did with J. Staal, Chicago has done with countless players, etc.

IF we hadnt made all those poor asset management decisions over the previous decade when the team and half the fans put "making the playoffs" above "building a contender", we very likely would have the prospect depth to replace all those guys internally without missing a beat. We likely would have found an extra gem or two in the draft, legitimate core pieces that you can build around.

As it is, we have some pieces (Leivo, Ashton, Percy, MacWilliam, Brennan, Liles, Granberg, etc. no NHL ready centre tho). If we start adding picks regularly instead of trading them away regularly, thats the type of thing that will start showing itself in 3-4 years, and then start showing itself for the next decade or longer.

Bertie

Jan 20, 2013

I totally agree.
It's not a rebuild that's required, just a couple of hard experienced Dmen to help Phaneuf and Gardiner

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Ride out the season. Whatever happens, happens.

Sign Dion to a reasonable deal or move him for a first++. Send Rielly down, let JML play and we can move him too probably he is still NHL quality.

With the cap going up, us having a bunch of room especially if we move either Liles or Dion we could go out and get Stastny AND Girardi if they hit the market. Or we could even go after Vanek/Moulson/Thornton, even Iginla would be an INSANE character to have in the room if he ends up UFA again. This cap space we will have has great potential for a team like ours. We aren't thar far off from being a serious contender, we are just unhealthy. There is a host of dmen that could help us out next year as well coming up as UFAs including Girardi, Robidas, Mitchell, Phillips and more.

Think of the possibilities if we don't give into Dion and his assumed 8 million price tag. I would rather have 2 or 3 different players than just him. He isn't exactly a pure shutdown guy that we need, even with him we would have to do it by committee. If he won't take a reasonable salary we could go out and get the committee that we need anyways.

Personally I would rather spend the money on a pure shutdown Dman, we have Franson that can replace him on the PP and play with either Gardiner or Rielly or JML. Then we have even more cap space after that as well to bolster other positions. A big deal I feel hand cuffs us more than we would like this off season with several people we could potentially target being available.

(Just thinking of a Clarkson/Kulemin - Bolland - Iginla line is dreamy for a "third line")

Here is a link to the list of potential free agents, it is long, there are some great names that would fill huge roles for us on there, especially since we have a huge potential for turnover after this season with all the RFA/UFAs we have. Anyways, ride it out, I'd even give RC another year due to injuries to be honest. This season/offseason coming up is for the GM after that we should have THE team and if RC falters then we can dump him.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I dont think we need a full rebuild, but I do think we need to be more proactive with asset management.

Decisions we made 3-10 years ago in terms of asset management have a huge impact on this current team. Rask for Raycroft, 1st/2nd/3rd for Toskala, Tlusty for Paradis, not getting good value for Kubina, McCabe, Sundin, Tucker, etc, and more recently Grabovski/MacArthur. we allowed our best trade assets to devalue to the point where they were worth very little or we just let them walk for nothing/bought them out, and then we in turn paid premium prices for unproven players who ultimatley failed.

If we want to help build a team that can be contenders for 10+ years, look at what teams like Chicago/Boston do. Theyre willing to sell off high-priced RFAs / good solid players in their primes that are pending UFAs. Kessel, Versteeg, Ladd, Byfgulien, Brouwer, Bolland, etc traded for picks/prospects.

We have Phaneuf, Bolland, Kulemin, Raymond, etc as pending UFAs, Gardiner, Franson, Reimer, etc as pending RFAs. We should try and get Phaneuf resigned, and then i would hope to keep one of Gardiner/Franson.. Other than that, i think all those guys could be potential trade chips, and just becuase we might take a slight hit in competitive ability this year by trading 2-3 of those guys, if its going to help us become more competitive down the line, i dont see the problem. We're not winning th Cup this year anyways, may as well try to get value on the fly.

Identify the core (I would say its Kessel, JVR, Rielly, Bernier or Reimer, Phaneuf if signed, and Kadri), other than that, if you can get good value for a guy youre about to lose for nothing, or for an RFA that cant fit salary-wise, or even if you can get an overpayment for a guy signed with term.. You have to consider it, and even actively try and do it. Ideally you move pending UFAs at the draft the year before, so that you dont have to move them mid-season, as Pits did with J. Staal, Chicago has done with countless players, etc.

IF we hadnt made all those poor asset management decisions over the previous decade when the team and half the fans put "making the playoffs" above "building a contender", we very likely would have the prospect depth to replace all those guys internally without missing a beat. We likely would have found an extra gem or two in the draft, legitimate core pieces that you can build around.

As it is, we have some pieces (Leivo, Ashton, Percy, MacWilliam, Brennan, Liles, Granberg, etc. no NHL ready centre tho). If we start adding picks regularly instead of trading them away regularly, thats the type of thing that will start showing itself in 3-4 years, and then start showing itself for the next decade or longer.

I totally agree with what you are saying. I would also like to add Bolland to that list, his experience, attitude, role with the team is something we don't have in any of our players. I think he is a must sign after this year unless his ankle is destroyed which would be a sad, sad thing.

BayStreetBullies*

Oh look, another useless thread. As if the "reasons we're better without Phaneuf" thread wasn't stupid enough.

MajorityRules*

It's still too early. Midway through Dec, still in a playoff spot and have yet to play with a full healthy lineup. There are changes that need to be made because it hasn't looked very good lately but it's not time to blow it up yet.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012

That is what Leaf management will never understand. Even Burke buckled under the pressure with the Grabo contract.

Moving a player for a draft pick doesn't require us to use it. Instead we can package that pick(s) + for help in other areas.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Bingo. we are very, very poor at asset management, and until the leafs figure out how to do it properly, we could be hooped.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's still too early. Midway through Dec, still in a playoff spot and have yet to play with a full healthy lineup. There are changes that need to be made because it hasn't looked very good lately but it's not time to blow it up yet.

Lately? Lately???

We haven't won in regulation in over 15 games. I think we are at 19 or 20 games now. Think about it... No regulation wins in over a month. A ton of blown leads and many games we were completely dominated.

That's pathetic.

It is early though. Lot's of time to turn it around, but this is starting to get more than just a skid. This is really concerning.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Chicago.......Toews
LA.........Kopitar
Carolina....Staal

Toronto Maple Leafs.......Bozak?

This organization needs a reality check.

I agree we need more impact players.

My post was more intended to dispel the notion that we need to make the playoff right away to get playoff experience to eventually win a championship.

This team needs to take a 2 but more likely 3 or 4 year view of building this team up to be a championship caliber team.

Instead for to long in Leafland it has been a short-sighted management philosophy of we absolutely need to make the playoffs this year. This has lead to moves like:

-Keeping Grabo and CMac instead of dealing them for extra picks two year ago
-Giving up a pick for a terrible Ryan O'Bryne
-Letting CMac walk last year
-Dealing for a win now player in Bolland

We have some nice pieces for a core in Kessel, Kadri, JVR, Rielly, Bernier (who I believe should be the long term solution over Reimer) to build around with Phaneuf and Gardiner possibilities to add to that (but also possibly top trade assets).

The rest of the roster is what needs to be dealt for futures because I don't see them as key pieces in the a 2 year plan let alone a 3 or 4 year plan: Lupul, Raymond, Bolland, McClement, Franson, Kulemin or even a guy like Gunnarson. All secondary pieces that have can bring a nice return.

For all the draft schmaft people. All the players above open up cap room. Picks/prospects acquired now means picks/prospects that can be packaged in a deal later on when we truly need to add a piece (like a Bernier or Bolland) or even a more high end piece (like a Kessel or JayBo or Iggy or Seguin or Ryan or Carter or Richards or one of the other many high end players that always get dealt every year). We simply need assets that other teams will want because right now we don't have enough of them.

This team simply needs to accumulate more cheap young assets at the moment and quit being so short-sighted in making moves for just this year or next.

Last edited:

MajorityRules*

Lately? Lately???

We haven't won in regulation in over 15 games. I think we are at 19 or 20 games now. Think about it... No regulation wins in over a month. A ton of blown leads and many games we were completely dominated.

That's pathetic.

It is early though. Lot's of time to turn it around, but this is starting to get more than just a skid. This is really concerning.

Of all the things to over react to in my post. Lately is not a defined time so yeah it is lately. It's just been a long lately.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

I fully support this!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad