Draft R6 #191: Rangers select Rico Gredig (LW, HC Davos/Swiss NL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Thanks so much. This is great. @nyr2k2 - you should add this to the first post for now.

@Hinterland - So basically, we're looking at a 3rd/4th line center candidate who may be a bit bigger than listed. He's 6'1" 180 per NHL; so thinking more like 6'2", 6'3"?

He should be eligible for the Swiss team again this year. Hopefully he takes a bit of a leadership role if he stays healthy and makes the roster.
I guess so but don't quote me on this.

I definitely expect him to be a leader at the upcoming WJC20, potentially wearing a letter as well. He had a fairly large role in the last tournament already. Played over 20mins in the OT quarterfinal loss vs Sweden. He also won 45.83% faceoffs at the WJC20 which was pretty impressive for a guy usually playing left wing.

I don't know if he projects as a Center at NHL level. I don't think he played the position much in juniors. He, to my surprise, did very well at the WJC20 as a shutdown Center but he played Wing only in the NL.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I guess so but don't quote me on this.

I definitely expect him to be a leader at the upcoming WJC20, potentially wearing a letter as well. He had a fairly large role in the last tournament already. Played over 20mins in the OT quarterfinal loss vs Sweden. He also won 45.83% faceoffs at the WJC20 which was pretty impressive for a guy usually playing left wing.

I don't know if he projects as a Center at NHL level. I don't think he played the position much in juniors. He, to my surprise, did very well at the WJC20 as a shutdown Center but he played Wing only in the NL.

This is such a huge help for all of us. Honestly, thanks so much!!!

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Late riser. Surprisingly made the Davos NL team out of camp and ran with the chance he got. Got more and more icetime until he finally got hurt. Strong two way forward. Until this season I thought he was a winger but he actually did very well for Switzerland as a shutdown Center at the WJC20.

Smooth skating. I also think he's taller and bigger than his EP profile says. If not he's certainly playing bigger. Physical player. Solid skillset but nothing too crazy.

I think the Rangers just liked his trajectory and him playing such a mature two way game at the highest level in Europe. They may also liked the versatility he displayed at the WJC20. If he continues to trend nicely then I could see him make the NHL in a bottom six role. I don't know if he's gonna make it but he's come a long way in recent months.

Vladimir Sobotka upside??? 4th line checking center.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Vladimir Sobotka upside??? 4th line checking center.
I think that's not a bad comparison. From what I recall Sobotka mostly didn't play Center at NHL level but was able to play the position if necessary. He was a faceoff expert though and won lots of them even when playing on the wing. I think it will be tough for Gredig to become this good at faceoffs without an opportunity to play Center (or regularly take faceoffs). Gredig is a bit bigger than Sobotka though.

However, Sobotka was a 4th round pick and I believe he was drafted in his first year of eligibility. Gredig has some catching up to do if he wants to become this good. I loved Sobotka. Great player.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Late riser. Surprisingly made the Davos NL team out of camp and ran with the chance he got. Got more and more icetime until he finally got hurt. Strong two way forward. Until this season I thought he was a winger but he actually did very well for Switzerland as a shutdown Center at the WJC20.

Smooth skating. I also think he's taller and bigger than his EP profile says. If not he's certainly playing bigger. Physical player. Solid skillset but nothing too crazy.

I think the Rangers just liked his trajectory and him playing such a mature two way game at the highest level in Europe. They may also liked the versatility he displayed at the WJC20. If he continues to trend nicely then I could see him make the NHL in a bottom six role. I don't know if he's gonna make it but he's come a long way in recent months.
Thanks buddy.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad