Euro: Round of 16 - Portugal v. Slovenia - Jul. 1

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
One of my biggest disappointments, Barcelona should have won their first European/CL title then. I disliked Helmut Ducadam for rest of his career.
The first team from the Eastern Block to win the CL. It meant so much for the whole country and it was the beginning of the golden generation of Romanian football. I watched that game as a kid on a shitty black and white tv.... still gives me the goosebumps.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
The first team from the Eastern Block to win the CL. It meant so much for the whole country and it was the beginning of the golden generation of Romanian football. I watched that game as a kid on a shitty black and white tv.... still gives me the goosebumps.
A masterclass in bus parking but it made sense, Steaua was basically playing away as the game was in Seville.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but seeing Ronaldo so mentally fragile, when the game was still being played, was weird and a bit concerning.

And I usually can’t stand the guy.

Reactions: cgf

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but seeing Ronaldo so mentally fragile, when the game was still being played, was weird and a bit concerning.

And I usually can’t stand the guy.
It was definitely weird, I think it had more to do with a guy finally accepting that he's finished at this level. Not so much the potential outcome of the match.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
It was definitely weird, I think it had more to do with a guy finally accepting that he's finished at this level. Not so much the potential outcome of the match.
Same feeling from him. It was the guy finally realizing that his old self would have gotten some of those headers; that he would have had a few better first touches on the ball. Basically just a man coming terms with his own age and the knowledge that it's the end of the road in real time on camera, which is always a little sad. Surprising level of self awareness from a man who shouldn't have been allowed to take a free kick in a decade.

Reactions: cgf and luiginb

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Martinez is an absolute joke of a manager. He's honestly making me pine for Santos, which is unfathomable.

Ronaldo shouldn't even be on the field at this point, but the problems go far beyond that. Guy makes two substitutions (don't count the defensive changes with ET nearly over) in a game where they struggled to create anything against a vastly inferior opponent, and they were to take off Vitinha and Leão, who were the best players on the field? Wtf? Then he has the gall say they played very well?

The last two games have been atrocious. They've only really performed decently against Turkey. Needing penalties to get past Slovenia? Who were pretty awful themselves. Any decent side would have knocked Portugal out on their ass today.

Don't see how they get past France even if Ronaldo gets dropped, which he won't be. All enthusiasm has gone out of the tournament. Wasting one of the most talented Portugal squads ever with another lame duck coach.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad