Post-Game Talk: PS3 7:08 PM - Flyers 4 BRUINS 3 F/SO

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Forbort has black and blues someone else would have

Ideally Forbort would be exactly what he is but also one time heavy weight champion of rhe world who retired undefeated to play hockey

My first insurance agents uncle, retired from baseball and became the literal undefeated HCOTW

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The only knock on Poitras so far is faceoffs - everything else looks like Bergeron rookie year to me. His pace, vision and the way the puck sticks to him are all NHL+ right now.

Vision and puck skills maybe, but he is a good deal smaller than Bergeron. Its going to be a challenge for him if he starts the season with the team physically. He has been going against at least 50% populated AHL defense corps the first two games.

Once the season starts, I think he and #6, to a lesser degree, are going to find it tough sledding. Barring injuries I see both back to juniors and AHL after 5-9 games.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Vision and puck skills maybe, but he is a good deal smaller than Bergeron. Its going to be a challenge for him if he starts the season with the team physically. He has been going against at least 50% populated AHL defense corps the first two games.

Once the season starts, I think he and #6, to a lesser degree, are going to find it tough sledding. Barring injuries I see both back to juniors and AHL after 5-9 games.
Strength and a top gear were the two big ? for Bergeron too.

Poitras more than held his own in the corners and hasn't been thrown off his game by any physicality so far. If it happens it happens but it hasn't happened yet.

Reactions: BBruins and HustleB

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Poitras more than held his own in the corners and hasn't been thrown off his game by any physicality so far. If it happens it happens but it hasn't happened yet.

First, #37 was two inches taller and at least 10 pounds heavier at D+1. This is D+2 for Poitras. Second the physicality he has faced so far, has been coming against mostly AHL level talent. If Poitras sticks with Boston this year barring injury reasons, its going to be a bubble year or worse because it means Geekie sucked.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
First, #37 was two inches taller and at least 10 pounds heavier at D+1. This is D+2 for Poitras. Second the physicality he has faced so far, has been coming against mostly AHL level talent. If Poitras sticks with Boston this year barring injury reasons, its going to be a bubble year or worse because it means Geekie sucked.
Bergeron wasn't his same height and weight when he broke in at 17 that he is now. Think he was maybe 6' 180lbs... maybe

The kid won't be killed by heading back to junior but it surrrrrrre looks like he has more to give up here

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Bergeron wasn't his same height and weight when he broke in at 17 that he is now. Think he was maybe 6' 180lbs.

Yeah, so #51 is listed by hockey DB at 5:11-170. Bergeron was listed when he retired
at 6:01-195, so I am taking about 15 pounds off Bergeron as weight to 180. That's 10 pounds heavier at least. I doubt Bergeron grew an inch after coming to Boston.

Anyway, want to argue an inch have at it but Bergeron was for certain stronger at D+1 than #51 as is at D+2. #51 looks good after a couple of games against majority AHL level talent. Once the season starts its significantly harder competition and I doubt very much he lasts past the 9 games, barring injury.

Bergeron wasn't his same height and weight when he broke in at 17 that he is now. Think he was maybe 6' 180lbs... maybe

The kid won't be killed by heading back to junior but it surrrrrrre looks like he has more to give up here

Bergeron was 18 when he played his first exhibition game, not 17.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
I have a question about Poitras. If he plays 9 games abd is sent back to Juniors does he burn a year of rookie deal or does he have to play more than 9 games. Just wondering as I know it will play into the Bruins decision

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Can Poitras hold up against the division duo’s Matthews & Taveras, Point & Cirelli, Thompson & Couzins, Stutzle & Norris …..

Or is he best served working on creating his shot, faceoffs, normal physical and mental development between 19 and 20? In CHL

You don’t want to screw this up because he’s pretty much the missing piece to a lineup that’s defensive D & G is young and skilled - has good top 6 wings

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

Mitch Marner is of similar stature, he seems to have coped quite well. Although Poitras needs to get bigger and stronger, his vision, hockey awareness, playmaking ability and most importantly his willingness to physically compete in all 3 zones should trump his issues related to size.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Mitch Marner is of similar stature, he seems to have coped quite well. Although Poitras needs to get bigger and stronger, his vision, hockey awareness, playmaking ability and most importantly his willingness to physically compete in all 3 zones should trump his issues related to size.

Marner was a superior skater than Poitras. Marner was very good in his rookie NHL season at small area elusiveness. #51 is good like that, but based on my viewings, don't see him in Marner's class same point. Not a knock on #51, but people need to pump the brakes comparing him to Bergeron of all people. If he turns out to be a
5:11 Steve Kasper, people should be happy.

Reactions: HustleB

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Marner was a superior skater than Poitras. Marner was very good in his rookie NHL season at small area elusiveness. #51 is good like that, but based on my viewings, don't see him in Marner's class same point. Not a knock on #51, but people need to pump the brakes comparing him to Bergeron of all people. If he turns out to be a
5:11 Steve Kasper, people should be happy.
Marner is HOF talent to me

Love to see him blow of Leafs and be Marchand eventual replacement in 2 years

Poitras offensive mind and attacking style way above Kasper

Kasper mindset was shutdown top center - Poitras is attack and create

However - great call because size skating and energy hockey brain all lineup

It’s kind of ying and yang but I like the many similarities

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Can Poitras hold up against the division duo’s Matthews & Taveras, Point & Cirelli, Thompson & Couzins, Stutzle & Norris …..

Or is he best served working on creating his shot, faceoffs, normal physical and mental development between 19 and 20? In CHL

You don’t want to screw this up because he’s pretty much the missing piece to a lineup that’s defensive D & G is young and skilled - has good top 6 wings
He struggled at the dot but otherwise seems to be a top 6 NHL player so far. Sure things could change, but to this point he's shown nothing that would lead people to believe he's in over his head.

The physical stuff is overblown- he's listed as being the same size as other guys he's competing against No one's fretting about Merkulov's size or Bovquist or Steen or Richard ...

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I assume there is no desire to keep Poitras up to play on the wing. I know that happened with Bergy way back when but it seems like top 9 center or bust for Poitras. I definitely want the 9 game tryout at this point.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site

The best scenario would have been living in Bergeron's Guest House, cooking the brood's breakfast every morn, and learning from the best role model as the team has Bergy, Coyle, #51, and Beecher down the middle. #51 could get occasional game off with Geekie slotting in at 3C.

Watching him on the boob tube, his on-ice vision is wow. I imagine seeing him at ice level is all the more impressive.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I didn't think Poitras had the type of game yesterday that gets a roster spot at 19. No knock on the kid at all, I still think he is great, but he needs to be carrying the play in these exhibition games, not just fitting in and making a nice play here and there. I'd give play him the next game and see if there is an uptick. If not, send him down to have a big season in the OHL and hopefully the World Juniors. Next season we have a lot of options, he can either make it out of camp or earn his way up through the AHL.

Reactions: wintersej

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
If Lohrei ends up sticking, how long until he is the 1st PP QB?

Wow, can we slow down here a little bit. First Poitras compared to rookie Bergeron and now we even expect Lohrei to play on the power play, let alone being the quaterback on the first pp line. Both didnt even play their first full professional season yet. I did see good things but nothing that makes me sure to know that both even can withstand the grind of 82 games regular season. Let's wait how they do against better NHL competition when the preseason games get tougher and then go from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad