Post-Game Talk: PS3 7:08 PM - Flyers 4 BRUINS 3 F/SO

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
If #6 stays someone is moving either Forbort, 67, or 48 . Is there a trade market for any ?????
There could be but I don’t think the return will be decent. I think Lohrei makes the opening night roster and is then sent to Prov but is the first call up and never goes back. Happened with Boychuk and McQuaid as well as Gryz.

Forbort is the odd man imo.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I need them to bang a hell of a lot more. If you go back again just go look at Looch and his hits. He f****** hit everything. In one game. And we had about six seven eight nine other guys who would bang too or be physical, or even drop the gloves I seen nothing like that here and I'm just f****** sick of it f****** f****** sick of it.

Sorry.

It's pre-season.

Don't worry, be happy.

Reactions: Mad Dr Pepper

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Was looking at some game stats and didn't even realize that Harrison & Brunet had played tonight. Poitras had a rough night in the dot going 5-11
This is why he will not make it, or if he does it may be at wing to start. He doesn’t have the strength yet to beat other centers off the dot.

Reactions: PlayMakers

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
This is why he will not make it, or if he does it may be at wing to start. He doesn’t have the strength yet to beat other centers off the dot.
He beat 5 of them tonight and Im pretty sure he was in the positive in the other game he played

Reactions: Gordoff

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
There could be but I don’t think the return will be decent. I think Lohrei makes the opening night roster and is then sent to Prov but is the first call up and never goes back. Happened with Boychuk and McQuaid as well as Gryz.

Forbort is the odd man imo.
I agree with all of your post except , I am not so sure Forbort is the odd man out The D needs to have some PK skills and some muscle

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
To lazy to go through entire thread but just wondering if Harrison got injured because his shifts (12) and ice time was way down compared to rest of players in lineup.Chiasson was closest with (14) but played 5 more minutes total in just those 2 extra shifts amazingly.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Greer got the crap beat out of him by a guy who is a top fighter but blows as a hockey player - if he was 6 inches shorter he’s a division 3 third pair - that’s how bad he is

Lost is the excellent check Greer put on his teammate that led to the fight

Greer is underrated- we got him all as an afterthought but he ain’t a stiff at all

pizzafrylover420

Feb 5, 2020
Richard- on the top line, didn’t do much for me this game, was still skating well but didn’t do anything that noticeable. Was hoping for more from him on that line, lot of missed passes/couldn’t handle passes.
Poitras- very solid performance again, crafty, creative, really good forecheck/back checking and thought he had good general awareness. Killing penalties, seems to be doing everything he can to earn at least a longer look, give the kid a shot and see what he can do, if it ends up being too much then back to juniors.

Farinacci- don’t know much about him or the game he plays. He looks ok, engaged at times, seems fairly responsible on the backcheck, not looking ready to me so I’m curious to see what he is after a season in providence.
Lauko-I continue to like the energy, good on him for the fight and he plays with a lot of passion, always have a spot for that on my team! I hope Lauko gets his shot this season to see what he can do in the bottom 6. Speed, energy, willing to muck it up, that’s what I want out of the depth. Puckhound!

Heinen- 1st period wasn’t feeling his play that much, he really stepped it up in the second, nice goal! Played with more confidence, crafty passing, I swear I saw him make a few hits/finish checks I swear! Looked very solid in the 3rd, wish he finished that beautiful feed from Merkulov in the 3rd.
Greer- last year he looked a lot more motivated to make the team and make his presence felt, not seeing the same energy this year. Hope he picks it up because otherwise I’d say we have younger guys who look more hungry for those bottom roles. Solid on the PK.

Chiasson- big pass from me, don’t like him on the PP, not seeing really anything else 5on5. He isn’t doing terrible just to me not doing enough to play himself onto this team.
Harrison- he’s been alright, not ready of course, in over his head at times but still good experience for him. Really looking forward to what he can do in providence this year.

Lohrei, awesome game. Looked more settled compared to the last one, real nice poise, I see the future there, calm smooth defender, I liked what he was looking to do in the rush and o-zone. Excited to see what he becomes!

Walsh- looked fairly solid to me, hit a post in the 3rd, i think he has made good pinches. I was hard on Ian Mitchell last games, can’t say Walsh is fairing that much better or anything but solid puck moving, good outlet passes, some good plays with the puck but overall the wotherspoon-Walsh pairing was pretty scary. Wotherspoon looking like the AHL vet he is, at times solid, at times hemmed in zone and can’t get it out.

Shattenkirk looked alright. Is what he is at this point, injuries will happen and can’t hurt to have vets like him around.

Merkulov- I will begin, I admit I am a big fan of his and am watching him very closely. I will say he looks like he needs a little more seasoning in the AHL, but as the game went on he got better and better. Doesn’t shy away from the physical play, he went hard on the forecheck, took some big hits to make plays. I swear he is looking like a faceoff ace, he wins a lot of faceoffs, haven’t checked the stats but I swear, he was consistently winning them, sometimes real clean.

He seems like a guy that does need good line mates, not a line driver but the skill set is there. He continually makes really good plays with the puck and crafty passes to line mates that usually do nothing with it and the play dies. Chiasson-Harrison not bringing much to help out that line. Throw him with NHL talent and I think he’d have a couple more assists than he has this preseason. He fed Greer on a real nice chance in the 2nd, nice to see him get an assist on the Heinen goal, as he made a good play taking the puck in and moving it to Shattenkirk. He got fed a few times on the PP, he has a good shot and more importantly looks for the shot. Drew a penalty. Beautiful set up to heinen late in the 3rd.

What can I say? I’m on the Merkulov train. I think he needs 40ish more games in providence but feels like a guy who will get called up during injuries and will pop a few goals and then will insert himself into the line up….I hope. DISCLAIMER- I was well on the Koko train back in the day having watched him in providence so…take it all with a grain of salt. Koko was awesome in providence and I had lots of fun watching him down there, thought he’d make it. Either way I focused in on Merkulov and to me there is a lot to like about his game, the shot, crafty passing and faceoffs. Hope he continues to build on it and make an impact!

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I agree with all of your post except , I am not so sure Forbort is the odd man out The D needs to have some PK skills and some muscle
Forbort has black and blues someone else would have

Ideally Forbort would be exactly what he is but also one time heavy weight champion of rhe world who retired undefeated to play hockey

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
The way they deployed Poitras tonight was kinda interesting to me, cause he was decidedly not being deployed like a 19 year old kid that the org just wanted to give a taste of the NHL before sending him to juniors.

17 total minutes played, 12 at 5v5 (78% xGF% at 5v5 for those that care about that). Most common matchup was the Brink-Frost-Tippett line, which was the flyers top line tonight. Played a little over a minute on the PK, little under a minute on the PP. And on top of that he only started 28% of his 5v5 shifts in the ozone. That felt like a showcase game where they wanted to see how he'd do with tougher deployment against NHL talent, and he did well. Not saying he should make the roster btw, don't think he's ready yet physically. But still super encouraging for him to look like he belonged out there.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Guy with potatoes for hands, potatoes for hands, all the time, Derek Forbort.
I love potatoes -
Richard- on the top line, didn’t do much for me this game, was still skating well but didn’t do anything that noticeable. Was hoping for more from him on that line, lot of missed passes/couldn’t handle passes.
Poitras- very solid performance again, crafty, creative, really good forecheck/back checking and thought he had good general awareness. Killing penalties, seems to be doing everything he can to earn at least a longer look, give the kid a shot and see what he can do, if it ends up being too much then back to juniors.

Farinacci- don’t know much about him or the game he plays. He looks ok, engaged at times, seems fairly responsible on the backcheck, not looking ready to me so I’m curious to see what he is after a season in providence.
Lauko-I continue to like the energy, good on him for the fight and he plays with a lot of passion, always have a spot for that on my team! I hope Lauko gets his shot this season to see what he can do in the bottom 6. Speed, energy, willing to muck it up, that’s what I want out of the depth. Puckhound!

Heinen- 1st period wasn’t feeling his play that much, he really stepped it up in the second, nice goal! Played with more confidence, crafty passing, I swear I saw him make a few hits/finish checks I swear! Looked very solid in the 3rd, wish he finished that beautiful feed from Merkulov in the 3rd.
Greer- last year he looked a lot more motivated to make the team and make his presence felt, not seeing the same energy this year. Hope he picks it up because otherwise I’d say we have younger guys who look more hungry for those bottom roles. Solid on the PK.

Chiasson- big pass from me, don’t like him on the PP, not seeing really anything else 5on5. He isn’t doing terrible just to me not doing enough to play himself onto this team.
Harrison- he’s been alright, not ready of course, in over his head at times but still good experience for him. Really looking forward to what he can do in providence this year.

Lohrei, awesome game. Looked more settled compared to the last one, real nice poise, I see the future there, calm smooth defender, I liked what he was looking to do in the rush and o-zone. Excited to see what he becomes!

Walsh- looked fairly solid to me, hit a post in the 3rd, i think he has made good pinches. I was hard on Ian Mitchell last games, can’t say Walsh is fairing that much better or anything but solid puck moving, good outlet passes, some good plays with the puck but overall the wotherspoon-Walsh pairing was pretty scary. Wotherspoon looking like the AHL vet he is, at times solid, at times hemmed in zone and can’t get it out.

Shattenkirk looked alright. Is what he is at this point, injuries will happen and can’t hurt to have vets like him around.

Merkulov- I will begin, I admit I am a big fan of his and am watching him very closely. I will say he looks like he needs a little more seasoning in the AHL, but as the game went on he got better and better. Doesn’t shy away from the physical play, he went hard on the forecheck, took some big hits to make plays. I swear he is looking like a faceoff ace, he wins a lot of faceoffs, haven’t checked the stats but I swear, he was consistently winning them, sometimes real clean.

He seems like a guy that does need good line mates, not a line driver but the skill set is there. He continually makes really good plays with the puck and crafty passes to line mates that usually do nothing with it and the play dies. Chiasson-Harrison not bringing much to help out that line. Throw him with NHL talent and I think he’d have a couple more assists than he has this preseason. He fed Greer on a real nice chance in the 2nd, nice to see him get an assist on the Heinen goal, as he made a good play taking the puck in and moving it to Shattenkirk. He got fed a few times on the PP, he has a good shot and more importantly looks for the shot. Drew a penalty. Beautiful set up to heinen late in the 3rd.

What can I say? I’m on the Merkulov train. I think he needs 40ish more games in providence but feels like a guy who will get called up during injuries and will pop a few goals and then will insert himself into the line up….I hope. DISCLAIMER- I was well on the Koko train back in the day having watched him in providence so…take it all with a grain of salt. Koko was awesome in providence and I had lots of fun watching him down there, thought he’d make it. Either way I focused in on Merkulov and to me there is a lot to like about his game, the shot, crafty passing and faceoffs. Hope he continues to build on it and make an impact!
I thought same on Merkulov tonight - he made plays and his pace was better

It’s as if last game he was 40 on the highway and tonight closer to 50

I agree with you on him - he adjusted to college & AHL and was first team all rookie - I think he does it again

I liked how after getting blown up in third he responded

I do hope he gets another game here

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Lohrei, he is in the top 4 to start the season. Easy replacement for Grizz and his 3.5m contract. Bigger with better offensive skills. Pair him with Carlo and Mac with Lindholm, very, very solid top 4 with Shattenkirk and Forbort as you 3rd pair

Poitras, the more I watch the more I see a less physical Sam Bennett with better vision. Works hard in all zones, mucks in the corners and has a sneaky good shot and backhand. To me he has to at least get 9 games and go from there.

Liked Laukos game and think a Lucic-Beecher-Lauko 4th line would be a beast.

See ya Chiasson.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
He beat 5 of them tonight and Im pretty sure he was in the positive in the other game he played
As there are more NHLers playing as we are past the mid point of pre season he’ll be facing more NHL worthy centers. It’s going to be tougher than the first game where both teams sported most of their prospects

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Tell us what your thinking :sarcasm:
Well, again, I'm sorry. This is all speech to text. And again, I realize it's a preseason game, no one wants to get hurt etc. I'm not expecting anyone to put anyone else through the glass. But I really tired about hearing we need physicality from the fans, people like me, and Sweeney and Neely and Montgomery and whomever else promising that we're going to get physicality. And I don't mean to a bunch of goons. But it seems to be the same old story again I know it's a preseason game but they just don't do anything they don't do anything physical at all. And I'm just really really tired of it.

Speech to text!

💩

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad