Post-Game Talk: PS3 7:08 PM - Flyers 4 BRUINS 3 F/SO

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I agree with all of your post except , I am not so sure Forbort is the odd man out The D needs to have some PK skills and some muscle
It's not very nice, but if I could drop Zboril off at the front door of a town in Alaska and ring the doorbell, and then run away, I would.

Clarity on the last name! My night is made.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Think Lohrei, Beecher and Paw (someone said it I like it for a nickname) should be sticking around till end of preseason. I want to see more of Lysell too, not sure why he hasn’t played more games. He played in the AHL he should be better this year hopefully moving forward in his career

The rest aren’t bad, all good soldiers and played a good systematic game. None really showed more than that (talking prospects and young guys). Not bad but definitely seems to be lacking top end skills which is not surprising because the Bs have been tops in the league and traded a lot of picks.

Not sure I care for any of the PTOs, they have enough competition going on and they really don’t bring more than what the Bs already have.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Lohrei, he is in the top 4 to start the season. Easy replacement for Grizz and his 3.5m contract. Bigger with better offensive skills. Pair him with Carlo and Mac with Lindholm, very, very solid top 4 with Shattenkirk and Forbort as you 3rd pair

Poitras, the more I watch the more I see a less physical Sam Bennett with better vision. Works hard in all zones, mucks in the corners and has a sneaky good shot and backhand. To me he has to at least get 9 games and go from there.

Liked Laukos game and think a Lucic-Beecher-Lauko 4th line would be a beast.

See ya Chiasson.
My thoughts also about Lohrei, I’d rather see him play in the top 4 .

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I’m not sure what else Lorhei needs to do to show he can be on the big club, to be honest. He has had 5 straight periods of very good hockey. He tried a couple things that didn’t work and recovered. The fact that he was able to use his length and reach to recover is what you want to see as any D with the puck on his stick is gonna have mistakes happen.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If #6 stays someone is moving either Forbort, 67, or 48 . Is there a trade market for any ?????

67 is waiver wire fodder. Someone will pick him up, but I don’t think anyone will pay for it. With Gryz and Forbort you are getting bad value with so few teams with cap space and none of them being contenders. Love him or hate him in the playoffs, Gryz is a proven excellent 5 on 5 regular season defender that has played top pair for years and this team needs good regular season play to even get to the playoffs. With both he and Forbort you are really limited to teams looking to f*** your over and then resell at the deadline. I’d much rather take the L on Forbort…but the Bruins have an affinity for his ability to ear rubber, maybe too much of an affinity.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Richard- on the top line, didn’t do much for me this game, was still skating well but didn’t do anything that noticeable. Was hoping for more from him on that line, lot of missed passes/couldn’t handle passes.
Poitras- very solid performance again, crafty, creative, really good forecheck/back checking and thought he had good general awareness. Killing penalties, seems to be doing everything he can to earn at least a longer look, give the kid a shot and see what he can do, if it ends up being too much then back to juniors.

Farinacci- don’t know much about him or the game he plays. He looks ok, engaged at times, seems fairly responsible on the backcheck, not looking ready to me so I’m curious to see what he is after a season in providence.
Lauko-I continue to like the energy, good on him for the fight and he plays with a lot of passion, always have a spot for that on my team! I hope Lauko gets his shot this season to see what he can do in the bottom 6. Speed, energy, willing to muck it up, that’s what I want out of the depth. Puckhound!

Heinen- 1st period wasn’t feeling his play that much, he really stepped it up in the second, nice goal! Played with more confidence, crafty passing, I swear I saw him make a few hits/finish checks I swear! Looked very solid in the 3rd, wish he finished that beautiful feed from Merkulov in the 3rd.
Greer- last year he looked a lot more motivated to make the team and make his presence felt, not seeing the same energy this year. Hope he picks it up because otherwise I’d say we have younger guys who look more hungry for those bottom roles. Solid on the PK.

Chiasson- big pass from me, don’t like him on the PP, not seeing really anything else 5on5. He isn’t doing terrible just to me not doing enough to play himself onto this team.
Harrison- he’s been alright, not ready of course, in over his head at times but still good experience for him. Really looking forward to what he can do in providence this year.

Lohrei, awesome game. Looked more settled compared to the last one, real nice poise, I see the future there, calm smooth defender, I liked what he was looking to do in the rush and o-zone. Excited to see what he becomes!

Walsh- looked fairly solid to me, hit a post in the 3rd, i think he has made good pinches. I was hard on Ian Mitchell last games, can’t say Walsh is fairing that much better or anything but solid puck moving, good outlet passes, some good plays with the puck but overall the wotherspoon-Walsh pairing was pretty scary. Wotherspoon looking like the AHL vet he is, at times solid, at times hemmed in zone and can’t get it out.

Shattenkirk looked alright. Is what he is at this point, injuries will happen and can’t hurt to have vets like him around.

Merkulov- I will begin, I admit I am a big fan of his and am watching him very closely. I will say he looks like he needs a little more seasoning in the AHL, but as the game went on he got better and better. Doesn’t shy away from the physical play, he went hard on the forecheck, took some big hits to make plays. I swear he is looking like a faceoff ace, he wins a lot of faceoffs, haven’t checked the stats but I swear, he was consistently winning them, sometimes real clean.

He seems like a guy that does need good line mates, not a line driver but the skill set is there. He continually makes really good plays with the puck and crafty passes to line mates that usually do nothing with it and the play dies. Chiasson-Harrison not bringing much to help out that line. Throw him with NHL talent and I think he’d have a couple more assists than he has this preseason. He fed Greer on a real nice chance in the 2nd, nice to see him get an assist on the Heinen goal, as he made a good play taking the puck in and moving it to Shattenkirk. He got fed a few times on the PP, he has a good shot and more importantly looks for the shot. Drew a penalty. Beautiful set up to heinen late in the 3rd.

What can I say? I’m on the Merkulov train. I think he needs 40ish more games in providence but feels like a guy who will get called up during injuries and will pop a few goals and then will insert himself into the line up….I hope. DISCLAIMER- I was well on the Koko train back in the day having watched him in providence so…take it all with a grain of salt. Koko was awesome in providence and I had lots of fun watching him down there, thought he’d make it. Either way I focused in on Merkulov and to me there is a lot to like about his game, the shot, crafty passing and faceoffs. Hope he continues to build on it and make an impact!

I thought Merkulov earned one more shot with his play in the second half of the game. I’m not sure he has enough skill to be a skilled top 6 worthy player (outside of his shot) but I saw enough to want to see him get a shift at wing with a real NHL center on his side. Didn’t see enough to think he can take a C spot this season. But I’ve been wrong a lot before.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
McAvoy and Marchand looked fantastic.

Pasta's shot is amazing but it was disappointing to see him look disinterested in the shootout. I thought he looked really rusty at the start of the game.

I thought Lindholm looked terrible. Hopefully it's just rust and disinterest in a pre-season game but he got blown by repeatedly, and he left guys wide open.

Lohrei's growth is really exciting. I want to see him play every game from here to the end of camp to see if he can keep ramping up.

I thought Poitras' age showed a bit in this one. Smarts, hands and poise galore, but he looked a little slow to me out there, a little light, and when guys were being physical with him he'd come out of those confrontations looking gassed.

The PP looked good, Pasta has more options with Zacha as the bumper and all that focus on Pasta led to some wide open looks for Marchand.

Really didn't like Shattenkirk's game. Again, maybe it's rust or disinterest in a preseason game but he looked slow, he got beat 1on1 a couple times and he didn't bring much to PP2. He did make some poised breakout passes but overall I didn't like his game at all.

Merkulov got better as the game went on but still isn't there. I was rooting for him but he was pretty much a passenger for his first 4 periods of pre-season hockey. He's got to get his pace up another step or two and he may not get the chance.

I think Richard hurt his chances tonight. Couldn't ask for two better line mates and he fumbled the opportunity.

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022
Lohrei, he is in the top 4 to start the season. Easy replacement for Grizz and his 3.5m contract. Bigger with better offensive skills. Pair him with Carlo and Mac with Lindholm, very, very solid top 4 with Shattenkirk and Forbort as you 3rd pair

Poitras, the more I watch the more I see a less physical Sam Bennett with better vision. Works hard in all zones, mucks in the corners and has a sneaky good shot and backhand. To me he has to at least get 9 games and go from there.

Liked Laukos game and think a Lucic-Beecher-Lauko 4th line would be a beast.

See ya Chiasson.
I agree that Lohrei should be in the top 4, but I will go further and state that the Bruins have the perfect partner for McAvoy. He's even left handed. Carlo should play with Lindholm. Reminds me of when McAvoy broke into the league and he played as Chara's partner in his first year. Lohrei is a bonafide NHL talent. Can really move the puck up to the forwards. He's got great size and he is so calm with the puck. Very poised (like a veteran), I'm impressed. The Bruins cannot play Gryz in the 1st pairing with McAvoy. HE'S TOO SMALL. Let Lohrei play. He'll learn from Charlie. Kid is good. He's going to make the team.

I like Merkulov's game. He really upped his intensity tonight as the game went on. Really got into the flow. I don't know if he's ready yet, but he sure looks close. The bruins look like they will finally have a good Russian player on their roster. Nice job by Sweeney, signing this kid as a free agent out of Ohio State. They must have noticed him as they watched Lohrei. He's got talent.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
McAvoy and Marchand looked fantastic.

Pasta's shot is amazing but it was disappointing to see him look disinterested in the shootout. I thought he looked really rusty at the start of the game.

I thought Lindholm looked terrible. Hopefully it's just rust and disinterest in a pre-season game but he got blown by repeatedly, and he left guys wide open.

Lohrei's growth is really exciting. I want to see him play every game from here to the end of camp to see if he can keep ramping up.

I thought Poitras' age showed a bit in this one. Smarts, hands and poise galore, but he looked a little slow to me out there, a little light, and when guys were being physical with him he'd come out of those confrontations looking gassed.

The PP looked good, Pasta has more options with Zacha as the bumper and all that focus on Pasta led to some wide open looks for Marchand.

Really didn't like Shattenkirk's game. Again, maybe it's rust or disinterest in a preseason game but he looked slow, he got beat 1on1 a couple times and he didn't bring much to PP2. He did make some poised breakout passes but overall I didn't like his game at all.

Merkulov got better as the game went on but still isn't there. I was rooting for him but he was pretty much a passenger for his first 4 periods of pre-season hockey. He's got to get his pace up another step or two and he may not get the chance.

I think Richard hurt his chances tonight. Couldn't ask for two better line mates and he fumbled the opportunity.

Pasta's looked disinterested and casual on every shootout he's ever participated in. That's just how he approaches them. Glides in from left to right, throws a puck in there, if it goes in, great, if not, 'eh'. I don't think he's as carless about them as he looks, but at the same time I don't think anyone could argue they're something he takes really seriously. Not his thing.

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
I liked Lohrei with Mac. I think Lindholm and Carlo are a good top shut down pair. Can Forbort or Gryz play the right side? I would assume they can. This would be my top six.

Lindholm-Carlo
Lohrei-McAvoy
Forbort-Gryz

Shattenkirk, Zboril, Mitchell battle for the extra spot.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Bit late, watched this in replay. Not much to say except Zacha looks ready to assume Krejci's spot and I look forward to Pasta-Zacha for years to come. Poitras looks NHL ready to me. I really really hope they give it a shot and we see him on the opening night roster. They can always send him back with that 10 game window or whatever it is if it doesn't work but they really should give it a go. This kid is the real deal. I like Lohrei over Zboril so if they want to keep him up that's fine but if they go Shattenkirk and make Lohrei first injury call up I'm okay with that too. Lauko looked a lot more like Lauko from last year tonight even if he did lose the fight but I just like that guy and his whole attitude. He's a Bruin. Heinen might be a fit for a utility role just not sure where exactly he fits in. 13th forward maybe?

Now Chaisson, wtf? Is this some new hockey technique I've never heard of where you shoot from one knee? Three times and he seemed to do it on purpose? I don't know what that was but I think (contrary to what I thought earlier) JVR can have the job and Chaisson can just go away.

Ullmark was lights out in shootouts last year. Maybe not any more.

Brink was really good for Philly. Peterson surprisingly good as well. Maybe they will trade Hart.

Reactions: HustleB

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
I see Beecher sticking as the fourth line center. I see Lorhei in Providence but likely the first call up. And I see MP back in the OHL. Again, there's no rush.
I can see your point but he has played so well and has nothing left to prove playing in the O. I would give him a few games and see how he does.

Reactions: BBruins

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Lohrei had the wheels turning tonight, he has gotten better with each game, great to see.

Poitras took a bit of a beating and kept coming back for more, some great feeds from him, excellent vision.

Merkulov had probably his best game this preseason, still think he has more to offer tho.

All the regulars looked pretty good, Marchy is always a blast to watch lol.

Shattenkirk wasn’t great, hopefully just easing his way in.

Lauko was buzzin I like to see that, I’m starting to think he and Greer are pretty redundant with a little more upside in Lauko. I think we have plenty of 4th liners.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
I love potatoes -

I thought same on Merkulov tonight - he made plays and his pace was better

It’s as if last game he was 40 on the highway and tonight closer to 50

I agree with you on him - he adjusted to college & AHL and was first team all rookie - I think he does it again

I liked how after getting blown up in third he responded

I do hope he gets another game here
In my hockey fantasy world by February we would have 3 rookies centers Poitras,Merkulov and Beecher on our roster. I like Pavel better on the wing with Pasta.

Reactions: Over the volcano

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad