Prospects who have stagnated.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Zac Jones.

Felt like NYR just haven't ever given him a chance or role that fits him.
He’s actually done well and improved each season, it’s more just that he hasn’t gotten a chance to play. It looks like he’ll finally play a regular shift this season. There’s zero competition for him to earn the 6D spot. For a third round pick to even make the NHL and play 100 games (he should easily clear 100 this season) is an accomplishment.

Kakko is a better example if you wanted a Ranger.

well, there is a pretty strong consensus that you are wrong, so you tell me if the truth hurts.
Where’s your proof?

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I can question what I want. People can’t have differing opinions on the same subject?

This is a great post. And I absolutely agree.

What's supporting your opinion? Do you stat watch or watch him play? You can question his hockey IQ but you are going up against the scouts and ppl that watch him who consider that a strength. Their opinions.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
What does where a guy plays in their draft year have to do with when they physically mature? A previous poster suggested Reinbacher stagnated. Maybe the player did mature earlier than his draft year peers? Like you say, he was playing against men.

Because being physically mature before your peers brings no advantages against men. It would be a great argument if he did play in junior, but he didn't.

He played in the same level in his D and D+1 year, against men. His regression/stagnation in his D+1 cannot be explained by being physically mature early.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
He’s actually done well and improved each season, it’s more just that he hasn’t gotten a chance to play. It looks like he’ll finally play a regular shift this season. There’s zero competition for him to earn the 6D spot. For a third round pick to even make the NHL and play 100 games (he should easily clear 100 this season) is an accomplishment.

Kakko is a better example if you wanted a Ranger.

Where’s your proof?
Reading this thread…with my eyes.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Leo Carlsson and Adam Fantilli?!?! They played in the NHL in their d + 1 haha
Go figure that the guy who has been boohooing Carlsson since before he was drafted thinks he can no longer reach his potential and has "stagnated" simply because he didn't have a 65+ point season as an 18/19 year old playing in North America for the first time.

Savoie was the only somewhat valid name on the list and that's still a guy that can turn it around.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
What's supporting your opinion? Do you stat watch or watch him play? You can question his hockey IQ but you are going up against the scouts and ppl that watch him who consider that a strength. Their opinions.
It’s my own opinion. I’m sorry if that’s not enough for you, but it is for me.

I think this sort of thread should be exclusively for players who haven't progressed in two years. Having "stagnated production" in D+1 shouldn't mean all that much; William Eklund's D+1 season was disastrous but now he's back on track with no concerns.
This is exactly what I’m looking for

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Go figure that the guy who has been boohooing Carlsson since before he was drafted thinks he can no longer reach his potential and has "stagnated" simply because he didn't have a 65+ point season as an 18/19 year old playing in North America for the first time.

Savoie was the only somewhat valid name on the list and that's still a guy that can turn it around.
Cant quote me?

Yeah, of course it’s about Carlsson with you. You were once pleasant, and since I brought up the inconvenient truth months ago that he had a disappointing season for a 2OA you’ve turned utterly hostile.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Cant quote me?

Yeah, of course it’s about Carlsson with you. You were once pleasant, and since I brought up the inconvenient truth months ago that he had a disappointing season for a 2OA you’ve turned utterly hostile.
Maybe you want to try actually backing up your flawed logic on any number of the names on your list aside from Savoie who, I'll concede, has objectively stagnated but by no means can't recover.

I brought up Carlsson because I'm most familiar with him but in the case of both he and Fantilli, claiming that they've stagnated is baffling and the only plausible metric I can try to guess that you're using is that because they didn't stay healthy and put up 65+ points in their D+1, as 18/19 year olds on bad teams playing at a much higher level than they were at in their draft years (Carlsson in particular had to adapt to a much higher level of play while adapting to North American ice), that means their development has stagnated and they can no longer reach their potential as elite forwards.

I just don't understand the logic or the analysis since you have provided none. You just keep waxing poetic about how it's the "truth." So I'd like to hear how two players thrust into the NHL as 18 year olds who both put up around 43-45 point pro rated paces that were marred by injuries, playing on offensively challenged teams have had their development stagnate and in your words, can no longer reach the potential people once thought they had.

I'd like your analysis and not more complaining about my perceived hostility. You didn't give it to me last time I disputed one of your opinions, so I'm not holding my breath but try to actually support your opinion if you can. If you want to persist in posting controversial opinions you should be ready to back them up. So far in this thread, you haven't.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just blithering by a poster who can safely be added to your ignore list as they bring nothing to any conversation. Search their name in the Fantilli thread on the prospect board for more insane hot takes.
We can discuss Fantilli also.

All I heard coming into last season was that he was better than Jack Eichel, and would outdo his rookie season. Obviously you can't penalize a guy for an unfortunate injury, but pro rate it to 82 games and he averaged 11.5 points per 82 games worse than Eichel. A whole different category. Actually a fine rookie season for a 3OA, and he got better as the season went on, but all we heard was how Fantilli was better than the ordinary 3OA and he was picked over some pretty good players because Columbus had to win now and needed a center. Yet, he was like a league average forward and only split time at center.

I'll give him credit for being better than Carlsson, yet both were the wrong pick over Michkov. That'll be shown even further this season.

Maybe you want to try actually backing up your flawed logic on any number of the names on your list aside from Savoie who, I'll concede, has objectively stagnated but by no means can't recover.

I brought up Carlsson because I'm most familiar with him but in the case of both he and Fantilli, claiming that they've stagnated is baffling and the only plausible metric I can try to guess that you're using is that because they didn't stay healthy and put up 65+ points in their D+1, as 18/19 year olds on bad teams playing at a much higher level than they were at in their draft years (Carlsson in particular had to adapt to a much higher level of play while adapting to North American ice), that means their development has stagnated and they can no longer reach their potential as elite forwards.

I just don't understand the logic or the analysis since you have provided none. You just keep waxing poetic about how it's the "truth." So I'd like to hear how two players thrust into the NHL as 18 year olds who both put up around 43-45 point pro rated paces that were marred by injuries, playing on offensively challenged teams have had their development stagnate and in your words, can no longer reach the potential people once thought they had.

I'd like your analysis and not more complaining about my perceived hostility. You didn't give it to me last time I disputed one of your opinions, so I'm not holding my breath but try to actually support your opinion if you can. If you want to persist in posting controversial opinions you should be ready to back them up. So far in this thread, you haven't.
I named 11 players. Did you expect 11 or more paragraphs? I think for most of those players it's pretty self explanatory why they've stagnated. Before the draft people make every top 10 pick into a future all-star, and not all of them end up being that. Many don't satisfy their draft slot. Thus, they stagnate.

Carlsson is looking like a player who won't satisfy his draft slot, especially in the draft he was in. He might end up a fine 2OA for an average draft, but of course you can't leave out of the equation that he was taken over Michkov and then there's also the Fantilli discussion too, as the majority had Fantilli above Carlsson also. This was viewed as the best draft in years.

Carlsson's PPG was even lower than Fantilli with about 2 and a half minutes more ice time, and being babied by his team. Carlsson's stats likely would've been under .5PPG if he had to play every game and wasn't rotated in and out of the lineup so frequently to keep him fresh. Further, what I don't understand is why people act like Zegras can't play center, yet they are willing to just brush off that Carlsson was literally the absolute worst face off man in the NHL last season. He's young and I'm sure he'll get better, but there's a long way from last to respectable. Seems like a pretty big area of needed improvement and if he can't significantly improve then he's not a center. So much for drafting him because they wanted a center.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
We can discuss Fantilli also.

All I heard coming into last season was that he was better than Jack Eichel, and would outdo his rookie season. Obviously you can't penalize a guy for an unfortunate injury, but pro rate it to 82 games and he averaged 11.5 points per 82 games worse than Eichel. A whole different category. Actually a fine rookie season for a 3OA, and he got better as the season went on, but all we heard was how Fantilli was better than the ordinary 3OA and he was picked over some pretty good players because Columbus had to win now and needed a center. Yet, he was like a league average forward and only split time at center.

I'll give him credit for being better than Carlsson, yet both were the wrong pick over Michkov. That'll be shown even further this season.

I named 11 players. Did you expect 11 or more paragraphs? I think for most of those players it's pretty self explanatory why they've stagnated. Before the draft people make every top 10 pick into a future all-star, and not all of them end up being that. Many don't satisfy their draft slot. Thus, they stagnate.

Carlsson is looking like a player who won't satisfy his draft slot, especially in the draft he was in. He might end up a fine 2OA for an average draft, but of course you can't leave out of the equation that he was taken over Michkov and then there's also the Fantilli discussion too, as the majority had Fantilli above Carlsson also. This was viewed as the best draft in years.

Carlsson's PPG was even lower than Fantilli with about 2 and a half minutes more ice time, and being babied by his team. Carlsson's stats likely would've been under .5PPG if he had to play every game and wasn't rotated in and out of the lineup so frequently to keep him fresh. Further, what I don't understand is why people act like Zegras can't play center, yet they are willing to just brush off that Carlsson was literally the absolute worst face off man in the NHL last season. He's young and I'm sure he'll get better, but there's a long way from last to respectable. Seems like a pretty big area of needed improvement and if he can't significantly improve then he's not a center. So much for drafting him because they wanted a center.
Okay so a lot of conjecture. Yeah Eichel had a better rookie year jumping out of the NCAA and walking right into the NHL. And? Do I need to cite to Chris Kreider to explain how development isn't linear? I'm sure you're very familiar with his career path after a fairly average start to his NHL career which, incidentally, didn't start right out of college either. Obviously that's not a point for point comparison but how about Jack Hughes? A fair number of people were ready to write him off after 21 points in 61 games (a point percentage that was much lower than Carlsson and Fantilli by the by). Now he's one of the finer U-23 forwards in the NHL today and almost hit 100 points two seasons ago

I'll just jump ahead to your comments on Carlsson and lump in Fantilli to my counterargument because a lot of your gripes about Carlsson appear to stem from expectations that just don't align with reality. Sure, his faceoff numbers weren't great but you are once again assuming that just because these two were highly touted as better than average 2nd and 3rd overalls that they should have just walked into the 18 year olds ready to handle everything the league might throw at them but realistically, sticking with Carlsson, how many players come over from the Euro leagues and dominate as 18 year olds?

The list is a lot shorter than you think:

Patrik Laine: 64 pts (another good example of nonlinear development)
Jaromir Jagr: 57 pts (considered a top ten player all time)
Ilya Kovalchuk: 51pts (first overall pick)
Rasmus Dahlin: 44pts (first overall pick)

The point is, making the jump from Europe to NA ice which is smaller, more physical, and faster paced is an adjustment for any European player but especially one still developing and growing into his body. Your Ovechkins, Malkins, Selannes, etc. usually take about 2-4 years continuing to play on Europe before coming over and by then their game has progressed enough that they can have dominant rookie years without the adjustment period impacting them too hard.

Now am I able to say that Leo is definitely going to be a legend of the game? No. But I don't think you can say he can't be elite just because he had a tough go adapting to the NHL and NA hockey while playing first line minutes with wingers he objectively had next to zero chemistry with, while still growing into his body, and while dealing with intentional healthy scratches and a string of mid tier injuries. In spite of all of that he still finished with a respectable 43 point pro rated pace on the third worst offense in the league.

But the bigger issue, overall, between your takes on both these kids is the statement that they just can't reach the heights people predicted for them based on what they showed this year as 18 year olds. Why not? Why was Jack Hughes able to turn around from a 0.34 ppg average his rookie year but Carlsson and Fantilli can't go on to be elite with a higher ppg average? Why was 18 year old Mark Messier able to put up multiple 100 point seasons, some without Gretzky in spite of starting with a 0.44 PPG average? Or how about an 18 year old Lecavalier with 28 points in 82 games? Or Joe Thornton, how did he get a 100 assist season after starting his career with 7 points in 55 games as an 18 year old? Maybe it's because kids aren't all physically capable or in appropriate situations to shine in the NHL right out of the draft. It's the best league in the world. Most need time to get used to it.

I can go on and on with more examples but you haven't disspelled what has been repeated about your post numerous times in this thread, that it's too early to say these two kids have stagnated and can't reach their projected ceilings just based off what they did as 18 year olds. You've posted a lot of conjecture and a bald statement that Michkov, who still hasn't even played in the NHL, was the right pick at 2 or 3, but you still haven't really provided qualitative reasons why these two are essentially barred from reaching the upper limits of their potential while they are still growing and developing. If they were 23, I'd even give you 22, and they were still languishing around 50 points I might give it to you, but once again development is not linear.

Though I'll give you that I'd be all the more interested to see how Michkov himself performs in the NHL this coming year. If he struggles, you can bet I'll remember this exchange.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Okay so a lot of conjecture. Yeah Eichel had a better rookie year jumping out of the NCAA and walking right into the NHL. And? Do I need to cite to Chris Kreider to explain how development isn't linear? I'm sure you're very familiar with his career path after a fairly average start to his NHL career which, incidentally, didn't start right out of college either. Obviously that's not a point for point comparison but how about Jack Hughes? A fair number of people were ready to write him off after 21 points in 61 games (a point percentage that was much lower than Carlsson and Fantilli by the by). Now he's one of the finer U-23 forwards in the NHL today and almost hit 100 points two seasons ago

I'll just jump ahead to your comments on Carlsson and lump in Fantilli to my counterargument because a lot of your gripes about Carlsson appear to stem from expectations that just don't align with reality. Sure, his faceoff numbers weren't great but you are once again assuming that just because these two were highly touted as better than average 2nd and 3rd overalls that they should have just walked into the 18 year olds ready to handle everything the league might throw at them but realistically, sticking with Carlsson, how many players come over from the Euro leagues and dominate as 18 year olds?

The list is a lot shorter than you think:

Patrik Laine: 64 pts (another good example of nonlinear development)
Jaromir Jagr: 57 pts (considered a top ten player all time)
Ilya Kovalchuk: 51pts (first overall pick)
Rasmus Dahlin: 44pts (first overall pick)

The point is, making the jump from Europe to NA ice which is smaller, more physical, and faster paced is an adjustment for any European player but especially one still developing and growing into his body. Your Ovechkins, Malkins, Selannes, etc. usually take about 2-4 years continuing to play on Europe before coming over and by then their game has progressed enough that they can have dominant rookie years without the adjustment period impacting them too hard.

Now am I able to say that Leo is definitely going to be a legend of the game? No. But I don't think you can say he can't be elite just because he had a tough go adapting to the NHL and NA hockey while playing first line minutes with wingers he objectively had next to zero chemistry with, while still growing into his body, and while dealing with intentional healthy scratches and a string of mid tier injuries. In spite of all of that he still finished with a respectable 43 point pro rated pace on the third worst offense in the league.

But the bigger issue, overall, between your takes on both these kids is the statement that they just can't reach the heights people predicted for them based on what they showed this year as 18 year olds. Why not? Why was Jack Hughes able to turn around from a 0.34 ppg average his rookie year but Carlsson and Fantilli can't go on to be elite with a higher ppg average? Why was 18 year old Mark Messier able to put up multiple 100 point seasons, some without Gretzky in spite of starting with a 0.44 PPG average? Or how about an 18 year old Lecavalier with 28 points in 82 games? Or Joe Thornton, how did he get a 100 assist season after starting his career with 7 points in 55 games as an 18 year old? Maybe it's because kids aren't all physically capable or in appropriate situations to shine in the NHL right out of the draft. It's the best league in the world. Most need time to get used to it.

I can go on and on with more examples but you haven't disspelled what has been repeated about your post numerous times in this thread, that it's too early to say these two kids have stagnated and can't reach their projected ceilings just based off what they did as 18 year olds. You've posted a lot of conjecture and a bald statement that Michkov, who still hasn't even played in the NHL, was the right pick at 2 or 3, but you still haven't really provided qualitative reasons why these two are essentially barred from reaching the upper limits of their potential while they are still growing and developing. If they were 23, I'd even give you 22, and they were still languishing around 50 points I might give it to you, but once again development is not linear.

Though I'll give you that I'd be all the more interested to see how Michkov himself performs in the NHL this coming year. If he struggles, you can bet I'll remember this exchange.
Why are we talking about linear vs. nonlinear development for players drafted 2nd or 3rd? I don't even disagree about your examples. But the discussion is about which prospects are stagnating. I think having a pedestrian, at best, D+1 for a 2OA from a great draft is showing stagnation.

And look, the same applies to everyone. Bedard had high expectations. And he went out there and averaged like 30 points more per 82 than both of the two guys behind him. You can talk about the adjustment from Europe to North America, and I'm not saying it's nonexistent, but a rookie season isn't easy for anyone. How easy do you think it was for Bedard when the media decided that his teammate was having an affair with his mom? It's a challenge for all of them.

I'm not saying Carlsson or Fantilli won't turn into good NHL'ers. They probably will, but I don't think their seasons were what was expected of them. I think more was expected and they had pedestrian seasons. Not disastrous like Slafkovsky the year before, and you're right that development isn't linear. Slafkovsky turned it around. Possible that Carlsson will score 100 points next season, but we're dealing with right now and I think more was expected of Carlsson based off last season.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Why are we talking about linear vs. nonlinear development for players drafted 2nd or 3rd? I don't even disagree about your examples. But the discussion is about which prospects are stagnating. I think having a pedestrian, at best, D+1 for a 2OA from a great draft is showing stagnation.

And look, the same applies to everyone. Bedard had high expectations. And he went out there and averaged like 30 points more per 82 than both of the two guys behind him. You can talk about the adjustment from Europe to North America, and I'm not saying it's nonexistent, but a rookie season isn't easy for anyone. How easy do you think it was for Bedard when the media decided that his teammate was having an affair with his mom? It's a challenge for all of them.

I'm not saying Carlsson or Fantilli won't turn into good NHL'ers. They probably will, but I don't think their seasons were what was expected of them. I think more was expected and they had pedestrian seasons. Not disastrous like Slafkovsky the year before, and you're right that development isn't linear. Slafkovsky turned it around. Possible that Carlsson will score 100 points next season, but we're dealing with right now and I think more was expected of Carlsson based off last season.
You're still discounting that they are in their D+1 entering the NHL as 18 year olds. The examples I provided weren't for rookies in general, they were rookies who played in the NHL right out of the draft. Kids like Crosby, Gretzky, Yzerman, Mackinnon, Jagr, Bedard (he had the 14th best D+1 season of all time) are the exceptions not the rule. And I'm not really sure why you're comparing Bedard to Fantilli and Carlsson here. It's well understood that Bedard was a generational draft prospect. The line on Fantilli, Carlsson, and Michkov were that they could go first overall in some but not all years. Like in a more average year with guys like say, Hischier. Obviously expectations for Bedard were going to be higher and it should surprise exactly no one that he performed well as an 18 year old.

That doesn't mean that guys like Fantilli and Carlsson are immune from the challenges of adapting to the NHL that affect everyone. Again, big rookie seasons for 18 year olds are a rarity. In the years since stats started getting recorded there's been exactly 24 players who have scored 50 or more points as 18 year old rookies. Yet you're talking about it like it should be expected of every highly touted second and third overall pick.

And you're conflating emotional challenges with very real transitional realities for players making the jump from Euro pro or tier 2/3 leagues to North American hockey. Sure people making jokes about Bedard's mom is no easy thing for the kid to deal with but that's a very different challenge compared to going from a much larger ice sheet to NA hockey where, especially at the NHL level, the competition is bigger, there is less space to maneuver, the pace of play is much much faster, the incidence of physical contact is much higher, and the games played schedules are much longer.

So focusing on Carlsson, he has to adapt to all those things while still growing into his body and developing his hockey tools while playing top line minutes with guys he has no chemistry with (Killorn who seemed to have chemistry with nobody, and Terry who was an incorrigible puck hog and turnover machine all year). The reality is for every individual Kaprizov, Kucherov, and Laine that finds success jumping from Europe to the NHL, there's 10 other exciting European prospects who can't adapt to the difference between ice sheets and the high level of play and they never amount to anything. Hitting a 43 point pace under the conditions Carlsson faced is not stellar but it's promising because there's a difference between watching a player play and looking at raw stats. Carlsson still needs to work on faceoffs, obviously, and his timing needs work given that, as mentioned, he has less space and time to work with than he used to, but on the flip end, he showed that his hockey IQ and natural game sense can make him adaptable going forward since he showed on many occasions that he has the ability to find lanes and make plays in tight and under heavy pressure. This can only improve as he puts more muscle on his 6'3 frame as he's already fairly strong in terms of puck retention under pressure, the issue is he's been light on his frame and gets knocked over from time to time. As he gets stronger that will be less and less of an issue for him. It's also promising that, even though it's a super small sample size, the one game Carlsson played with Gauthier it appeared like they had far better chemistry together than Carlsson with Killorn and Terry. This is what I mean by qualitative analysis by the way.

Ultimately I don't know who was out there expecting Carlsson to step into the league as an eighteen year old and scorch the league up. If I had to guess I probably would have said 40-50 points considering all the factors I've already discussed. He ended up at around a 43 point prorated pace which would be on the lower end of my estimation, but again that's because I'm not expecting 18 year olds to score more than 50 points in their rookie seasons, particularly if they have to deal with adapting to a different style of hockey while adapting to a higher level of it too. Like I said, generational prospects are exceptions and not the rule and a guy like Laine was an abberation and he hasn't really progressed much past that heater of a 64 point season.

So I guess the conclusion is your belief that he and Fantilli have stagnated are based on your own imagined false equivalency that people saying they could be first overalls in other years equates to "they were expected to have scored 60 or more points as D+1s"

But that brings us back to the Jack Hughes comparison and your reducing Fantilli and Carlsson's potential to just possibly being "good." If we were to employ your logic, we should have looked at his rookie year and determined that he stagnated as a young player and no one should expect him to become an elite player because he couldn't amount to more than just "good" as based on his disappointing rookie year. We'd all proclaim that and all be proven stupid as we watched Hughes end up a hair under 100 points. That's my point when I bring up linear development. Prospects aren't cars. It's not like you draft a Ferrari second overall and if the engine isn't up to par, it's a dud and there's nothing you can do about it other than gut and rebuild the engine. Some prospects hit their stride later than others. It's not like you draft a kid with promise and they either scorch the league as an 18 year old or they're incapable of later greatness. The entire point I'm trying to make is it's entirely too early to bring down expectations on Fantilli and Carlsson's potential cap and it makes no sense to claim they've "stagnated" as prospects just because they didn't have all-timer D+1 seasons. They're still developing and it's their first year developing as NHLers. I'll give you another concession, now that they have a year of NHL play (truncated as both seasons may have been), if you watch the players and observe both on the scoresheet and in the qualitative evaluation of their play that they aren't progressing and growing, then you can say they've stagnated. But you just can't reliably compare the performance of two fresh faced kids in the NHL as 18 year olds to their play in the NCAA or SHL under any recognized definition of the word "stagnated."

By my observation of both players, both have made meaningful strides in their individual games compared to their draft years, so that's what irritates me about you seemingly only looking at raw stats to draw sweeping and conclusive opinions like this.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I think this sort of thread should be exclusively for players who haven't progressed in two years. Having "stagnated production" in D+1 shouldn't mean all that much; William Eklund's D+1 season was disastrous but now he's back on track with no concerns.
Lekkerimaki also had a disastrous D + 1 and looks very promising.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Leo Carlsson and Adam Fantilli?!?! They played in the NHL in their d + 1 haha
That's fair but their rookie seasons didn't match the hype and it's a lesson to be learned here that even the best looking prospects rarely have a big impact in their rookie seasons to match the hype.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Matt Savoie

5 years ago, people debated whether he might go first overall or not.

Now he was the 4th or 5th best forward at times on his junior team.

5 years ago he was seen as a can't miss prospect that would eventually turn the tides for whatever team drafted him.

This summer, he was traded for a bottom 6 centre.

He had so much hype and skill but never lived up to it. It's seems year after year players pass him and it's harder and harder to justify him as a top prospect. For the Ice, he quickly fell behind Lambos and Benson as key parts to the team, in Moose Jaw it was clear that Yager, Firkus, and Calvert were more effective than him.

Savoie will continue to put up the points but he really doesn't do anything else. He doesn't win board battles, he's not a primary play driver, he's weak in puck battles, he never became shifty and allusive... He still plays like a juniors star. He's 5'9" and is doing nothing to overcome it.

His route to being a top 6 NHLer just seems too far to overcome right now. Go back in time 5 years and tell people that and you'd get laughed out of a room.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Saying Matt Savoie when the guy hasn't even played in the NHL and has 5 points in 6 AHL games is stupid.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Carlsson and Fantilli had better rookie seasons than Jack Hughes, Slafkovsky and Lafreniere.
Also they both got injured during their rookie years and missed some time, Carlsson got injured twice I think.
With both of them its more important to look at point per game rate than point totals. Carlsson was averaging over half a point per game as was Fantilli. Carlsson showed that his shooting and skating was better than advertized and Fantilli showed that his hockey IQ and playmaking are good.

Reactions: squashmaple

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Matt Savoie

5 years ago he was seen as a can't miss prospect that would eventually turn the tides for whatever team drafted him.

He had so much hype and skill but never lived up to it. It's seems year after year players pass him and it's harder and harder to justify him as a top prospect. For the Ice, he quickly fell behind Lambos and Benson as key parts to the team, in Moose Jaw it was clear that Yager, Firkus, and Calvert were more effective than him.

Savoie will continue to put up the points but he really doesn't do anything else. He doesn't win board battles, he's not a primary play driver, he's weak in puck battles, he never became shifty and allusive... He still plays like a juniors star. He's 5'9" and is doing nothing to overcome it.

His route to being a top 6 NHLer just seems too far to overcome right now. Go back in time 5 years and tell people that and you'd get laughed out of a room.
I don't think Savoie stagnated more so the other players just had more significant progress.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Matt Savoie

Excellent post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad