Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART XII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
ITM covered it pretty well, don't like to make a definite schedule, the defensive game and getting stronger will come with time and expirience. Starting with his hockey sense, MDC has those qualities you have to be born with. What he needs to work on are very normal. That's good, he is the type who could come at a rapid pace.

Does MDC project to be a better talent than Strome?

PS. MAybe i've asked this before....

scott99

May 13, 2005

Probably as a goal scorer, but maybe not overall. Strome is a center and is a good passer. Dal Colle projects to be a better Moulson type, pure goal scorer who does well with a good set up man. Reminds me of Max Pacioretty with his size.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com

They are two different players and excel in two different areas of the ice. It's really a matter of preference.

Strome is a guy who will succeed in the NHL as a skater and transitional player. I'm talking even strength situations here as he is deadly on the powerplay. It's part of the reason why I have soured on the idea of trying (forcing) him to a wing, even if it is only temporary. He's a guy that will get the puck from you're own end and get it through the neutral zone and safely into the opposing zone with aplomb. Often times creating odd man rushes in transition with his skating and vision. But I see him do this a lot better with more ice (middle of the rink) then on the boards where NHL players take the angles away and quickly. On the Powerplay Strome shot has improved tremendously and he's still a threat to score from a good distance out. He works the half boards on the powerplay like few others and his ability to read plays and split the box with a tape to tape pass for an easy PP goal is among the best I've seen over the last few years.

Having said all that, I prefer Dal Colle. His body is more suited for the NHL. He has much better reach and his frame (and how he uses it) to shield the puck from defenders and his strength in doing so is going to be extremely valuable in the NHL. Dal Colle's passing is underrated. Again he thinks the game so well and sees things develop quickly. How quickly the puck is off his stick (whether its a pass or shot) when the opportunity presents itself is at SUCH a high level. I've compared him to Jeff Carter in the past I think that's a fair comp. I also see a little Ilya Kovalchuk in him too to be honest (with how heavy and hard his passes and shots are) and of course his ability to through you OR deke you out of your shorts. He is an animal on the Powerplay as well but in a different way. In addition to making good quick passes like Strome, his shot is so good he can score from anywhere. Also He's excellent at retrieving the pucks along the walls (something Strome struggles with).

Strome was a much better defensive player in Juniors. Hopefully MDC works on it, and fills out. Sky is the limit for MDC, I've been saying that for a while but now I'm glad I can say it while he's property of the Islanders.

NYIdieselandy

May 28, 2012
i was thinking im sure petrov is kicking himself for not coming over now haha. but if he had come where would he fit in this team we have now?

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

Sorry a little late to answer, teaching classes. Already good info posted, will just add a few things.

Watching the clip of MDC's goal from last night, just fantastic, very few NHL players can do that. Got into position, didn't have much time or space, lightening realease, beautiful. That was very Stamkos like. His hands are exceptional and he has the hockey sense-the gifts you are born with.

Like ITM prefer Strome in the middle, it's where he's looks to be most productive, not along the boards so much but on open ice where he can use his skating,passing, vision. Hie can score some goals from distance both with the slap and wrist shots. Strome does not seem to have the kind of body that will support too much bulk so it's something they have to consider.

MDC should grow into a big boy, already taller than Strome and probably not much lighter. Time and work takes care of that as should becoming better defensively. He may not at this point initiate a lot of contact but he goes to the scoring areas, uses his body to protect the puck,work the boards and gain possession. He can make plays which is something he may be under rated at, MDC can score from anywhere in a variety of ways, outstanding-some of the best hands I have seen on an 18 year old in almost 60 years of watching.

Not going to pick a preference,they both have qualities a team needs.

Last edited:

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
He doesn't have that type of speed or skating ability but he def as that type of skill and shot.

Think Jamie Benn

A lot of people have been nit picking us for giving away so many picks with the Vanek ordeal, and the now Boychuk addition.

They fail to realize that we have at least 3 top 6 forward potential players in the cupboard in Collberg, Dal Colle, and Ho-Sang. Not to mention we still have our best d man specs with Pulock & Reinhart with a couple of underrates with Crus Rydberg, Sundstrom, Pelech, and maybe Mayfield. He also re-tooled our goal tending specs.

What Garth did with his trades is that this team is set up to win now and still has a future, regardless of what other fans from other teams think.

I've never been so excited for an Islander season in my life, and watching our prospects grow and hopefully become good NHL quality players.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
A lot of people have been nit picking us for giving away so many picks with the Vanek ordeal, and the now Boychuk addition.

They fail to realize that we have at least 3 top 6 forward potential players in the cupboard in Collberg, Dal Colle, and Ho-Sang. Not to mention we still have our best d man specs with Pulock & Reinhart with a couple of underrates with Crus Rydberg, Sundstrom, Pelech, and maybe Mayfield. He also re-tooled our goal tending specs.

What Garth did with his trades is that this team is set up to win now and still has a future, regardless of what other fans from other teams think.

I've never been so excited for an Islander season in my life, and watching our prospects grow and hopefully become good NHL players.

we have a young core of roster players locked up.

Okposo(26)
Grabner(26)
Tavares(24)
Nelson(22)
Cizikas(23)

Hamonic(24)
Leddy(23)
de Haan(23)

Then we have a couple ready to join full time
Lee(24)
Strome(21)
Reinhart(20)
Pulock(20)
Church(23)

then we have 2 more recent highly skilled first round picks in

Dal Colle(18) and Ho-Sang(18)

Then the rest can be anywhere from long successful careers to being a bust
Mayfield 22
Collberg 20
Pelech 20
Persson 22
Pedan 21
Halmo 23
Sudstrom 22
VCR 19
Burroughs 19
Graham 20
Russo 21
Bischoff 20
Quine 21
Sutter 21
Somerby 20
Toews 20

Obviously all wont make it or even reach their potential but the point is we have a deep and talented system...It is time to start making moves to get veteran players who will help us win now and have an impact on our team...we can afford to trade away picks and prospects. This is what playoff and Stanley Cup winning teams do.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida

I've never been so excited for an Islander season in my life, and watching our prospects grow and hopefully become good NHL quality players.

Not to mention strome, Nelson, lee, dehaan.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Do we have a more likely comparable? Or are we actually looking at a top 5 nhl winger here

Possibly, but when I talk comparables I mean style of play not projected point totals.

Dal Colle plays like Jamie Benn. His size, skating and offensive skill set is very close to Benn.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Do we have a more likely comparable? Or are we actually looking at a top 5 nhl winger here

unless you're talking about generational talents (Gretzky, Lemiuex, Crosby etc) no comparable is out of the question. He was a top 5 draft pick. NHL teams expect players taken in these slots to become perennial all-stars. Now they won't come out and say that publicly too often. Why put pressure on the kids and themselves (the guys making the picks) if you don't have to.

MDC was selected 5th overall in a solid draft (and I think he was a steal at that), he's not some third round pick with some skill and upside but with a multitude of glaring weakness'. Over the course of an entire decade int this world, only 50 people are selected as top 5 picks in the NHL. Don't let lofty projections/comparables scare you, especially not in the case of MDC.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Possibly, but when I talk comparables I mean style of play not projected point totals.

Dal Colle plays like Jamie Benn. His size, skating and offensive skill set is very close to Benn.

Benn's got a physical game Dal Colle doesn't (yet) have. So I don't really see that comparison since a big part of what makes Benn such a good player is his added physical play on top of his skill. I also don't know if Dal Colle projects to drive the play as much as Benn can.

I still think a better comparable, in terms of what overall kind of game and production you can expect if Dal Colle reaches his potential, is someone closer to a Max Pacioretty. Max Pac is a goal scorer, like Dal Colle, who has decent wheels, a wicked shot, and while he has size, doesn't exactly use it consistently.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Benn's got a physical game Dal Colle doesn't (yet) have. So I don't really see that comparison since a big part of what makes Benn such a good player is his added physical play on top of his skill. I also don't know if Dal Colle projects to drive the play as much as Benn can.

I still think a better comparable, in terms of what overall kind of game and production you can expect if Dal Colle reaches his potential, is someone closer to a Max Pacioretty. Max Pac is a goal scorer, like Dal Colle, who has decent wheels, a wicked shot, and while he has size, doesn't exactly use it consistently.

Been saying this for a while, he reminds me of Max Pacioretty. Hopefully he can become as good as him, though being a former center, I think Dal Colle can be a better playmaker.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
MDC seems to find those spots, even if he doesn't have much time or space with his shot and lightning release, boom it's off his stick. He could develop into a more complete offensive player than Pacioretty with his ability to make plays. Agree with the comparison to Max, MDC will use his size to protect the puck but doesn't initiate contact or drive like Benn does, have to see if he adds some of that as he gets stronger.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
kent simpson info pls

Have to admit, I don't know much about him, maybe one of the other guys do, but here are a few fun facts. In the 2010 draft the Islanders traded two second round picks, numbers 35 and 58 to Chicago for the last pick in the first round, 30th overall. Worked out great for the Islanders, with pick 30 the Islanders took Brock Nelson. Chicago took Simpson with pick 58 acquired from the Islanders so a little irony. He played junior in Everett of the WHL. Since he was drafted sounds like he hasn't progressed. Just a guess, Simpson might have been throw into the Leddy deal just in case Poulin was claimed so Bridgeport would not get caught short in goal. Sorry, couldn't be of more help.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Just a guess, Simpson might have been throw into the Leddy deal just in case Poulin was claimed so Bridgeport would not get caught short in goal. Sorry, couldn't be of more help.

My guess is the Islanders wanted Chicago to eat a little salary so they threw in Brennan, Chicago needed a roster spot for Brennan so they threw in Simpson, Islanders in Return sent them Nilsson to replace Simpson who doesn't take up a roster spot.

From the little I read from Chicago fans Simpson is a dud and basically should be in the ECHL.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
My guess is the Islanders wanted Chicago to eat a little salary so they threw in Brennan, Chicago needed a roster spot for Brennan so they threw in Simpson, Islanders in Return sent them Nilsson to replace Simpson who doesn't take up a roster spot.

From the little I read from Chicago fans Simpson is a dud and basically should be in the ECHL.

Good points, basically for business reasons.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Good points, basically for business reasons.

I think the additions of Brennan and Nilsson added little value to the actual trade. Chicago basically get a little defensive depth in case of injury but at a big price for an AHL player(600k), Nilsson is a long shot prospect who might have the value of a 5th/6th rounder because you never know how goalies will do but it wasn't a case he was a deal breaker, more a sweetner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad