Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The biggest pattern that I see from the Canes drafting team is that when there's skepticism about a certain crop of players due to whatever the factors are, they then spam that particular button and draft directly from those spots. At the moment, all of the skepticism is surrounding Russia and the political turmoil there. If the league cools down a bit on the Russian factor and starts to turn on NCAA-bound guys because of the likes of Gauthier and McGroarty within the next decade, I will bet that the Canes will then draft a mass quantity of NCAA-bound guys in future draft classes.

Last edited:

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
The biggest pattern that I see from the Canes drafting team is that when there's skepticism about a certain crop of players due to whatever the factors are, they then spam that particular button and draft directly from those spots. At the moment, all of the skepticism is surrounding Russia and the political turmoil there. If the league cools down a bit on the Russian factor and starts to turn on NCAA-bound guys because of the likes of Gauthier and McGroarty within the next decade, I will bet that the Canes will then draft a mass quantity of NCAA-bound guys in future draft classes.

I dont know about the last part but my thought on why they are drafting Russians is simply because with other teams shying away from them they are valued much higher than where they are being drafted.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Agreed, I think they chase what they see as value. They make their list and follow it no matter what, including where the prospect is from. I suspect we get Russians partially because simply we ranked them with everyone else and when it comes time to pick we have five Russians everyone else avoided at the top of our list.

I have also wondered at times if since we didn’t have a great minor league situation we took Russians because we could leave them there for awhile instead of having to develop them but we have a team now and we’re still Russian heavy. I think it’s simple as we’re following our list and if it’s a Russian so be it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I dont know about the last part but my thought on why they are drafting Russians is simply because with other teams shying away from them they are valued much higher than where they are being drafted.
I could be wrong, but I think that's exactly what @TheReelChuckFletcher was getting at.

When other teams have skepticism of a group and thus shy away from drafting higher valued guys in that group, then the Canes go after it. (spam that particular spot was his word).

I agree with you that it's not likely to happen at the NCAA level, mainly because I don't see it becoming such an issue with guys not signing with teams that drafted them to warrant avoiding NCAA guys. If it got to that point, I bet they'd change the CBA first.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I guess the mindset is to take guys who have top-6 and top-4 potential and hope they develop as such, and if they do it's easier to keep those guys and sign guys like Ghost, Chatfield, Carrier, Fast, etc in free agency to round out the rest of the roster. Goalies are a little trickier but Kotch appears to be the starter next year and a few other guys seem to be a few years out.

Kind of wonder, say in 2011 seems like this regime would easily draft Kucherov, especially given their like of Russian prospects. But then who knows if they take Slavin/Pesce/Faulk in their respective years. I get the feeling at least two of the 3 get drafted but you just don't know. Aho would probably be a given.

Whatever the case, the drafting is definitely different than it used to be. Still waiting for the success rate but there's promise here, moreso than in previous drafts. At least they aren't ignoring Russia altogether like they did in 20+ drafts before. Feel like under Karmanos the formula was take at least one Plymouth Whaler, one son of a former player (even if said player wasn't very good, or son didnt have a high trajectory), and a bunch of North American kids who either had skill issues or skating issues, or both. And then occasionally hit on a Aho or Faulk.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah I don’t totally understand drafting guys that grade out as bottom 6ers. You can always sign William Carrier to 6x$2m. You can always have your skill guy actually just settle in as a bottom 6er. But the guys that don’t have the defining skill characteristic just don’t do it for me, or the Borg. I’d take Justin Poirier having a 10% chance of being a top 6er over a guaranteed bottom 6er any day of the week.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I could be wrong, but I think that's exactly what @TheReelChuckFletcher was getting at.

When other teams have skepticism of a group and thus shy away from drafting higher valued guys in that group, then the Canes go after it. (spam that particular spot was his word).

I agree with you that it's not likely to happen at the NCAA level, mainly because I don't see it becoming such an issue with guys not signing with teams that drafted them to warrant avoiding NCAA guys. If it got to that point, I bet they'd change the CBA first.

Was just clarifying. I dont think they would target a group because everyone else stays away if there wasn't value. They jump at Russians because other teams are staying away because of off ice stuff

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
IMG_1531.jpeg

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’m not sure any of them are ready. All the forwards have work to do aside from maybe Suzuki, who seemed like a guy Rod would have start lower in the lineup. FUS seems to be the most intelligent and willing to be a 200 ft guy of the new generation but he’s still very young, small and inexperienced. Despite them saying there’s a spot I can’t help but think there’s a strong chance a bottom six guy like Martinook will be moved up. Or that we find a way to acquire someone late in the off season. I think Rod sees a kid as a desperation move for a top six spot unless the kid blows the doors off in camp.

This guy was on with AG for his bit about the camp and he seems like a fan more than a scout. He’s probably on here.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I’m not sure any of them are ready. All the forwards have work to do aside from maybe Suzuki, who seemed like a guy Rod would have start lower in the lineup. FUS seems to be the most intelligent and willing to be a 200 ft guy of the new generation but he’s still very young, small and inexperienced. Despite them saying there’s a spot I can’t help but think there’s a strong chance a bottom six guy like Martinook will be moved up. Or that we find a way to acquire someone late in the off season. I think Rod sees a kid as a desperation move for a top six spot unless the kid blows the doors off in camp.

This guy was on with AG for his bit about the camp and he seems like a fan more than a scout. He’s probably on here.
Agree. FUS and Suzuki are the guys I thought might see time here. Morrow maybe as well, but right now, with Jarvis, Necas and Drury, we have 14 forwards (Including Lemieux but not Jost).

I hope Suzuki can stay healthy and gets a chance before it's too late for him in Carolina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad