Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
We have CapFriendly at home
CapFriendly at home:

82558-004-EC7A45D9.jpg

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
All this talk of drafting Russians got me wondering....who are some of the best Russians drafted by the Canes outside of Svech?

Who are some of the best to play for us?

Seems like a short list.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
All this talk of drafting Russians got me wondering....who are some of the best Russians drafted by the Canes outside of Svech?

Seems like a short list.
Kochetkov is an obvious pick, but the list for skaters isn’t very pretty. Outside of Svech, only samsonov and semin scored more than 100 points playing for the canes.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
4 prospects in the Wheeler Top 100, two of them (Nikishin and Jackson Blake) being from draft picks below the second round. That's pretty good work. In fact, the only guys in Wheeler's Top 100 who were not drafted in the first two rounds of their respective draft are Nikishin, Joshua Roy (MTL), Jordan Dumais (CBJ), and Jackson Blake.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Seems like a short list.
Drafted: Svech and Kooch, that's it, that's the list. Hartford didn't go heavy on the Russian drafting and JR didn't take one after Knyazev

Played: add Samsonov, Semin, Kovalenko

edit: forgot that Nikolishin was drafted by Hartford, that's the one notable there.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Seems like a short list.

since 2018, we have drafted 23 players from Russia. The next closest are TML and SJS with 10.
We also have the most drafted in the top 64 at 5. There are 3 teams tied with 4 (NJ, NSH, and ARZ)

at the same time only a handful have had a chance to show off their skills either due to KHL contracts or general prospect growth time lines.

We have a couple more ready to go to add to the 2 so far.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Drafted: Svech and Kooch, that's it, that's the list. Hartford didn't go heavy on the Russian drafting and JR didn't take one after Knyazev

Played: add Samsonov, Semin, Kovalenko

edit: forgot that Nikolishin was drafted by Hartford, that's the one notable there.
Not sure if I am missing something, but Kuzy should be on your list.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I was eager to add Igor Chibirev who scored an amazing hat trick for the Whale back in the day. He didn’t last long. Turns out he was Ukrainian who had played in Russia so…. not so much a Russian.

Andrei Nikolishin was a successful drafted Russian.
Nikolishin has some eye popping stats his sophomore season.

How did it play out on the ice and how did his fans percieve his ceiling at the time?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Nikolishin has some eye popping stats his sophomore season.

How did it play out on the ice and how did his fans percieve his ceiling at the time?

He was hyped as a defensive minded two way center that had some offense and he was as advertised. He wasn’t big, maybe 5’10” or 11” and he was skinny but he protected the puck well and was strong with it on his stick. He used a stick like a foot too long because he preferred it for his defensive work. If he used a shorter stick he would’ve had more points because it generally was in his way when he carried the puck. He had some moves, that same move he scored on Irbe he also scored on prime Hasek. He played with Kron a lot and he had great chemistry with him. Above average playmaker. They played with Shanahan too for awhile. Sometimes he played with Ranheim and Kapanen. He was the 2C pretty much right off the bat. He had a solid career in that defensive center role though he was more of a 3C. If you YouTube search him they have a lot of footage of him. This other highlight was him at his best, just annoying and in the way, out working people you didn’t think he could. I loved him, one of many young guys JR traded early for vet help. God I hated JR at times.

Rod would’ve loved him.

Ps the year he played with Shanahan a lot I think bumped his stats. He was a guy you’d think could get 40-50 most years with a full schedule.

Last edited:

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
We signed Tolchinsky, but he wasn't drafted. I was really hoping that kid would work out . I know, a real Smurf, but he did have some skills. Anyone that size (he wasn't just short he was also very slight) needs that "something special" attitude as well as amazing skills and I never got the feeling he had it. Not based on anything, just an impression.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Why are we leaving off Danny Markov?

I would think he would be one of the first brought up. He was a character and a half for sure! :)

Plus look who we got in a trade for him!!!

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I remember Tolchinsky being the guy who quit on the Checkers during the playoffs because he didn't like his usage. Or he wasn't playing, don't remember which. I too thought he'd be something interesting but at a time where the team was starving for any kind of young talent, he couldn't make it.

On another note, the Hurricanes website produced a documentary type series about the 2013 prospect camp. They followed Tolchinsky but were mostly focused on Ryan Murphy, and to a lesser extent Brock McGinn, Brent Woods, Lindholm, and a slew of other draft picks who were spending time with the Checkers. Don't remember Pesce or Slavin in this particular series (they got some airtime the following year). Of all those guys, the only one that really had a positive impact on the Hurricanes was McGinn, and there was a time he was looking AHL-ish.

Sometimes I guess you just can't tell

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
We signed Tolchinsky, but he wasn't drafted. I was really hoping that kid would work out . I know, a real Smurf, but he did have some skills. Anyone that size (he wasn't just short he was also very slight) needs that "something special" attitude as well as amazing skills and I never got the feeling he had it. Not based on anything, just an impression.
He's one of the KHL's elite scorers these days, playing on SKA with our favorite Russian prospect. He's a legit star back in home and I'm sure he makes good money,

As for making it in the NHL, remember that that was an era when Francis was looking to get bigger and tougher. And he didn't exactly light the AHL on fire.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Why are we leaving off Danny Markov?

I would think he would be one of the first brought up. He was a character and a half for sure! :)

Plus look who we got in a trade for him!!!
I was about to make a comment about trading Ponikarovsky for the pick we using on jaccob slavin. But, Ukrainian. Oops.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He's one of the KHL's elite scorers these days, playing on SKA with our favorite Russian prospect. He's a legit star back in home and I'm sure he makes good money,

As for making it in the NHL, remember that that was an era when Francis was looking to get bigger and tougher. And he didn't exactly light the AHL on fire.
Yep. Plus he didn't play a style that Peters had the team playing.

Guys as small as he is have to really excel at something to make it in the NHL I'm not talking just height, but weight. He's almost 30 and still about 160lbs.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad