Prospect Info: prospect camp 24-25

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Well that list got thin pretty quick. I didn’t realize how much Russian dmen have dropped off in recent years.
Yeah. Gone are the likes of Markov, Zubov, Gonchar. Having followed hockey in the 2000s and 2010s I guess I hit somewhat of a heyday for Russian D.

At the same time, gun to my head I'd say Orlov is the better defenseman than Nikishin today. I'd love it if Nikishin is better, but we should temper our day 1 expectations. It's possible he just pans out as a solid top 4 guy, even if the #1 defenseman ceiling looms large.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yeah. Gone are the likes of Markov, Zubov, Gonchar. Having followed hockey in the 2000s and 2010s I guess I hit somewhat of a heyday for Russian D.

At the same time, gun to my head I'd say Orlov is the better defenseman than Nikishin today. I'd love it if Nikishin is better, but we should temper our day 1 expectations. It's possible he just pans out as a solid top 4 guy, even if the #1 defenseman ceiling looms large.
Fully agreed. I feel if you’re thinking Nikishin is stepping in at a level higher than Orlov than you’ve let the hype get away from you. I’ve been hoping he steps in as a third pair guy who can settle in as a second pair type. If he’s more than that on day one great. If he never gets above the third pair great. He’s been a good pick and the KHL is a tough league to rate, especially the last couple of years I’ve heard.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Fully agreed. I feel if you’re thinking Nikishin is stepping in at a level higher than Orlov than you’ve let the hype get away from you. I’ve been hoping he steps in as a third pair guy who can settle in as a second pair type. If he’s more than that on day one great. If he never gets above the third pair great. He’s been a good pick and the KHL is a tough league to rate, especially the last couple of years I’ve heard.
Time will of course tell but I’m much more optimistic than you re: his future.

For one, he’ll step into the league at a mature age of 23 and more importantly it’s apparent Canes management rate him highly. If they looked at him as a 3rd pair he would have been made available to the market and traded for a good asset the last two years. From what we’ve heard Nikishin name is never floated in trade talks. Thus, I’m pegging him as top 2 pair with probable disruptive top pair potential.

Reactions: geehaad and DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Time will of course tell but I’m much more optimistic than you re: his future.

For one, he’ll step into the league at a mature age of 23 and more importantly it’s apparent Canes management rate him highly. If they looked at him as a 3rd pair he would have been made available to the market and traded for a good asset the last two years. From what we’ve heard Nikishin name is never floated in trade talks. Thus, I’m pegging him as top 2 pair with probable disruptive top pair potential.
I’m optimistic about him I just like setting my hopes at a realistic level because after watching the team as long as I have it gets old having unrealistic expectations not being met. It’s not like I won’t be happy if he steps right in, and it’s certainly possible he can do it. I’m just not assuming he will. I absolutely think he has top four potential. I’m just not assuming he will do it from the day he shows up.

I don’t think they view him as third pair either. The post you quoted is me talking about how he arrives the first season. I’m fine with him just making the team to start.

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016

we giving Connor Lockhart a 2nd chance? Vancouver didnt give him a contract after 2 really strong scoring seasons.
Never heard of him. Would be the Canes M.O. to offer a distressed asset / skilled little guy another chance.

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Verrault is another name to watch. Guy was the 2020 2OA pick in QMJHL. He has battled a lot on injuries in his pre draft season and the 2 since. He was healthy this year and put up over 100 points (granted he i20 playing in the Q).

Lavoie is a shoot first guy. Names captain of his OHL team. We'll see there.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Brind'Amour wearing 77

1724791713476.png

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm a bit confused with Rod's son, it says he was born in Raleigh in July of 1999. July of 1999 Rod was still a Flyer.

:huh:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

Pronman tends to be on the conservative side for prospects, so for us to get to #12 after 6 straight postseasons is a real testament to what the Canes are doing. The Canes have 10 guys on his list that have at least made it to the "projected to play" category, which is the most of any of the playoff-contending groups, a whopping 12 guys in the "has a chance to play" category, and two bubble All-Stars in Nikishin and Jarvis.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Pronman tends to be on the conservative side for prospects, so for us to get to #12 after 6 straight postseasons is a real testament to what the Canes are doing. The Canes has 10 guys on his list that have at least made it to the "projected to play" category, which is the most of any of the playoff-contending group, a whopping 12 guys in the "has a chance to play" category, and two bubble All-Stars in Nikishin and Jarvis.

He’s also got Nikishin ahead of Jarvis, which is pretty bold.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Love me some Jarvis but it would not surprise me in the least if Nikishin winds up being a top 10 player league wide. Jarvis I could see getting to like Brayden Point caliber but not really that much higher of a ceiling. 100% bold and I wouldn't say it until we at least see Boom play a few games in the NHL, but as much hype as he is getting I still think people are sleeping on him.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

Love me some Jarvis but it would not surprise me in the least if Nikishin winds up being a top 10 player league wide. Jarvis I could see getting to like Brayden Point caliber but not really that much higher of a ceiling. 100% bold and I wouldn't say it until we at least see Boom play a few games in the NHL, but as much hype as he is getting I still think people are sleeping on him.
I feel the same. Not saying I’m expecting this, but Nikishin has the ceiling of a top 5 defensemen in the game. Jarvis is amazing, but he probably ends up as like a top 20-40 forward in the league.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I feel the same. Not saying I’m expecting this, but Nikishin has the ceiling of a top 5 defensemen in the game. Jarvis is amazing, but he probably ends up as like a top 20-40 forward in the league.

What a potential luxury for the Canes to have Slavin slotted down a pairing in a few years if Nikishin truly turns out to be a superstar. With the rising cap, a $6.4M cap hit isn't exactly onerous at that slot, either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad