Proposal: Proposals Thread: Fix this broken club

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I was going to pile on the Chia hate by bringing up the Kaberle trade. He gave up a first, a 2nd , and Coborne for a guy who completely failed in his brief Bruin career.

Then I looked at the results. Burke hates 2nd round picks so he packaged his own 2nd round pick with Boston's first to select Biggs. He then traded the Bruin 2nd round pick for Liles.

Kaberle (bust) traded for Biggs (bust), Liles (bust) and Coborne (bust)

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Henrique, Dubinsky, ANisimov are 3 guys that would change the culture on this team. However I doubt very much they would be willing to come here.

I think Columbus is the best target. They have some of what we need and we have, perhaps, something that would interest them. I also believe Anisimov and Dubinsky do not have NTCs. Dubinsky has one year left on his deal - so getting a top end player for him (maybe Yakupov) might be very enticing. Risky move for Edmonton without having Dubinsky on an extension - which would likely be for 5.5-6M per season.

They are very deep at C right now:

Johansen
Dubinsky
Anisimov
Jenner

They also have Umberger, who can play in the middle and other depth Cs like Letestu.

We have Eberle or Yakupov to dangle. I would have to think that a Yakupov for Dubinsky deal would be of interest to the Jackets. I think Eberle is tougher to move due to his cap number.

Horton-Johansen-Umberger
Foligno-Anisimov-Yakupov
Letestu-Jenner-Atkinson

Jackets could be interested in a deal this summer.

Last edited:

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Here's another one:

Eberle (5 years left at 6M)

for

E. Kane (4 years left at 5.25M)

Kane has underperformed, but fits the mold of what the Oilers need in terms of a power forward. Would be a huge addition and I think you can absorb the loss of Eberle.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Here Is my all encompassing offseason plan for the oilers.

DO NOT CHANGE THIS ROSTER

1. All players have about their lowest trade value
2.This team sucks enough to get us McDavid
3. We could make some trades and make a shortcut to the playoffs but at most as a first round ext for years to come.

McDavid Gives us a real chance to perennial favriotes.

Draft Ekblad , keep him and Nurse in the OHL . Draft McDavid... Boom.

Trade RNH for Henrique and Larsson
Get a real goalie
Add some Defensive Defenseman that you can't be dominated by a forecheck.

Hall McDavid Perron
Yak Henrique Eberle

Nurse Ekblad
Larsson Klefbom
Shultz Marincin

Starscream

May 11, 2004
Riverview NB
Here's another one:

for

Kane has underperformed, but fits the mold of what the Oilers need in terms of a power forward. Would be a huge addition and I think you can absorb the loss of Eberle.

I always thought that would be a good deal for us to make as well. another one I just thought of

E. Staal, J. Staal, and C. Ward for Nuge, Gagner, Yakupov and Fasth

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

3. We could make some trades and make a shortcut to the playoffs but at most as a first round ext for years to come.

Get a real goalie

Hall McDavid Perron
Yak Henrique Eberle

Nurse Ekblad
Larsson Klefbom
Shultz Marincin

I would trade the entire top 6 except for Perron. No use anticipating McDavid as it is a lottery and the rules will change.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I would trade the entire top 6 except for Perron. No use anticipating McDavid as it is a lottery and the rules will change.

I am down with that too. However I would not change a thing until the 2015 draft. And its not just about McDavid. You got Eichel and Barzal.

Take the next year to artificially inflate everyones stats by giving them tons of ozone time and pp time. Then deal them.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Get a real goalie

Hall McDavid Perron
Yak Henrique Eberle

Nurse Ekblad
Larsson Klefbom
Shultz Marincin

I agree to a point although I think us drafting Ekblad this year is 50-50 at best. If we don't draft Ekblad I say just take one of the other high end centers this year and move RNH for a deal similar to what was proposed. Then next year hopefully finish in the bottom 8 and get one of the big 3 defensemen. The great part about the league parity is that we can challenge for the playoffs and still end up picking kind of low.

Sloth Slothersons*

I agree to a point although I think us drafting Ekblad this year is 50-50 at best. If we don't draft Ekblad I say just take one of the other high end centers this year and move RNH for a deal similar to what was proposed. Then next year hopefully finish in the bottom 8 and get one of the big 3 defensemen. The great part about the league parity is that we can challenge for the playoffs and still end up picking kind of low.

We need another center to fit in the top 6 with RNH not to take his spot.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
We need another center to fit in the top 6 with RNH not to take his spot.

I think the pick ends up being Draisaitl/Bennett. Bennett sounds like a good fit but doesn't seem to have that 'size' that Draisaitl does, even though Bennett seems like a crazy guy on the ice.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

Let's say we get the 3rd pick. I would make a serious effort to get into the top 2 by adding to that 3rd pick. I think we should target Ekblad and if that is a no go. Then Trade back accumulate a pick for next year and get Fleury. That increases the chances for Mcdavid next year and gives us another high end d prospect that we can keep in the minors.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Here's another one:

for

I have heard that he is a difficult person. Might be bad for the locker room athmosphere

oilers25

Aug 10, 2011
Islanders or Flames offer to Oilers for 2nd

If the Oilers select 2nd in the draft and Reinhart is available when they pick, can any of you see the Oilers trading down with Isles or Flames considering they both have a Reinhart in their organization? I guess the "X" factor will be if Ekblad is gone or still available when the Oilers pick but interesting to ponder considering the Isles would love to have both Reinharts as would the Flames.

If I were the Oilers, I would ask for future picks in 2015 and 2016 to flip as getting a decent roster player is unlikely.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
I have heard that he is a difficult person. Might be bad for the locker room athmosphere

If distilled, the amount of suck in our locker room atmosphere must be enough to knock the Miami Heat from the playoff picture. I can't imagine anything coming in and making it any worse than it already must be.

Obviously, sheer speculation, but hey. Why not have a spot of fun?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
well at least it should be obvious to everyone now that trading Yakupov isn't the solution to what ails us.

This team is rotten to the core, all the way down from the top (except MacT. Hilariously enough it's starting to look like the only bad move he's made is hiring Eakins)

I think going into next season we look something like

Hall-RNH-XXX
Perron-Arcobello/Lander-Yakupov
Hendricks-Gordon-Gagner's trade return
XXX-Lander/Arcobello-Pitlick

Eberle's trade return - UFA (quincey/niskanen/nikitin/greene)
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Klefbom
Belov

Scrivens
Fasth

As hilariously awful as it sounds I think - on paper at least - we have a worse team heading into next year, with Eberle traded for a #2 defenceman in the Carlson/Josi/Enstrom/Bogosian vein and Gagner traded at the draft for a roster forward and a 2nd round pick.

However maybe the mix will be better - like Friedman was saying, there's just something fundamentally wrong with how this team is constructed, and it's true - it's a half Tambo, half MacT frankenstein that was sliding by on great goaltending in the last 20 games or so.

I think MacT goes hard after one of the few remaining decent UFA defencemen, and signs a Jones replacement for the 3rd line and a Smyth replacement for the 4th line. Nurse stays in Junior, hopefully as does Ekblad. I also think we sign a Setoguchi/Downie/Kulemin/Vrbata to play top line RW - as big of a garbage fire as we are, we have both money and cap space and someone will sign here.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

Get a real goalie

Hall McDavid Perron
Yak Henrique Eberle

Nurse Ekblad
Larsson Klefbom
Shultz Marincin

Just throw in the towel on next season? :facepalm:

Hasn't this loser mentality revealed something to u yet?

F--K THE DRAFT PICKS!!! This is going to drive me to insanity.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
well at least it should be obvious to everyone now that trading Yakupov isn't the solution to what ails us.

This team is rotten to the core, all the way down from the top (except MacT. Hilariously enough it's starting to look like the only bad move he's made is hiring Eakins)

I think going into next season we look something like

Hall-RNH-XXX
Perron-Arcobello/Lander-Yakupov
Hendricks-Gordon-Gagner's trade return
XXX-Lander/Arcobello-Pitlick

Eberle's trade return - UFA (quincey/niskanen/nikitin/greene)
Marincin-Petry
Ference-Klefbom
Belov

Scrivens
Fasth

As hilariously awful as it sounds I think - on paper at least - we have a worse team heading into next year, with Eberle traded for a #2 defenceman in the Carlson/Josi/Enstrom/Bogosian vein and Gagner traded at the draft for a roster forward and a 2nd round pick.

However maybe the mix will be better - like Friedman was saying, there's just something fundamentally wrong with how this team is constructed, and it's true - it's a half Tambo, half MacT frankenstein that was sliding by on great goaltending in the last 20 games or so.

I think MacT goes hard after one of the few remaining decent UFA defencemen, and signs a Jones replacement for the 3rd line and a Smyth replacement for the 4th line. Nurse stays in Junior, hopefully as does Ekblad. I also think we sign a Setoguchi/Downie/Kulemin/Vrbata to play top line RW - as big of a garbage fire as we are, we have both money and cap space and someone will sign here.

Pretty good. I could see this happening.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
To be fair they were improving at a fairly steady clip each year of this rebuild (points wise) but have taken a massive step backwards this year.

There's no shame in admitting you hired a coach that's simply in over his head. It's always a risk in hiring an AHL coach.

Honestly the mistake was in firing Tom Renney. He wasn't the greatest coach, but he was experienced in the NHL and went from 62 points in his first year to 74 points in his second year, and all three of Hall, RNH, and Eberle thrived playing under him. We canned him in favor of the "mystery door" rookie option.

We should have cut our losses and hired Lindy Ruff in the summer or even Marc Crawford. One of the reasons Calgary is doing OK with limited talent is that Hartley is a proven NHL coach. Sometimes the rookie option works like Patrick Roy, but a lot of times it does not.

With a group this raw and all over the place, hiring a coach who's young and making his own rookie mistakes was a disaster waiting to happen unfortunately.

This is my thinking.
One of the best GMs, if not the best, chia in boston...made a mistake with his first coach choice in dave lewis. He then fired him after the year.
I agree renney did a good job. Thats on tambi. It made no sense firing him.
Unlike chia who landed chara, savard, boychuk that first year and got kessel, lucic and marchand at the draft before the season...mact had a cluster**** . Chia also had the inside track on chara coming from ottawa.
I think mact might feel he hasnt given eakins a proper team

Part of me thinks eakins is gone at year end, part of me thinks mact gives him a team after a summer of arduous work and eakins is canned the moment mact sees it not coming together.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
This is my thinking.
One of the best GMs, if not the best, chia in boston...made a mistake with his first coach choice in dave lewis. He then fired him after the year.
I agree renney did a good job. Thats on tambi. It made no sense firing him.
Unlike chia who landed chara, savard, boychuk that first year and got kessel, lucic and marchand at the draft before the season...mact had a cluster**** . Chia also had the inside track on chara coming from ottawa.
I think mact might feel he hasnt given eakins a proper team

Part of me thinks eakins is gone at year end, part of me thinks mact gives him a team after a summer of arduous work and eakins is canned the moment mact sees it not coming together.

Part of me thinks this but MacT waits till next season is lost, then hires Huddy.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

A year ago I'd have rolled my eyes at a comment like this, now, no arguments from me.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Just throw in the towel on next season? :facepalm:

Hasn't this loser mentality revealed something to u yet?

F--K THE DRAFT PICKS!!! This is going to drive me to insanity.

loser mentality? Maybe you have that. Imagine what pittsburgh would be had they not gotten crosby. They would be a 1 line center team nothing special maybe make the ecf every so often. But they got crosby the face of the nhl and now the pens are one of the marquee teams in the league. You get mcdavid and that could be the oilers.

And yes throw in the towel next year. You think they are winning a cup next year? Win the cup or get the first pick in the draft those are the two best outcomes in every season. But i guess you would enjoy a decade of first round exits just so you can say you root for a playoff team.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
And yes throw in the towel next year. You think they are winning a cup next year? Win the cup or get the first pick in the draft those are the two best outcomes in every season. But i guess you would enjoy a decade of first round exits just so you can say you root for a playoff team.

How's that strategy been working out for us for about....oh I dunno, the last half decade or so?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I am pretty sure Seguin was traded because of off ice issues and had nothing to do with their play. Chiraelli is to smart to trade a talented player like seguin all because of a rough performance in the playoffs.

Even Chara came out and said Seguin was a player that he reached out to numerous times over the years to get him to curb his lifestyle a bit and he refused to accommodate.

I'm talking about direct quotes and conversations the GM and their staff were having about him(the special is easy to find on google), he simply didn't fit their mold of commitment.The off ice stuff may have caused problems, but if Seguin had been performing when it counted and buying into the team's mandate, he'd still be a Bruin today and they'd have just dealt with the off ice stuff while he matured.

It's pretty obvious that Chia will build the franchise a specific way with specific players, and hard to criticise him when it's a vision that has resulted in a Stanley cup along with a second finals appearance a couple of years later.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I'm really reading around the boards that some Oiler fans would give up the first this year for Myers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad