OT: Prince George Cougars for sale, could relocate (Aquilini possibly involved)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Pretty big bombshell here out of the North. Would be tragic for the Cougars - who have a long history and a hardcore fanbase - to move.
Langley, Chilliwack and Abby for 2 WHL and AHL club. Is that wise? Would reduce travel for the W BC division. But, still...... if PG supports them, like to see them stay.

Who knows what is going to happen with the CHL over the coming years. Seems like CHL kids are going to be allowed to go to the NCAA now and no longer have to choose between the 2.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
That would be nuts of they did relocate. I remember back in the 90's and early 2000's they had arguably the biggest fanbase of all the BC teams. They have quite the history as well despite never winning a Memorial Cup. Hope they stay but if not, how about Nanaimo or Pentiction?

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Pretty big bombshell here out of the North. Would be tragic for the Cougars - who have a long history and a hardcore fanbase - to move.

I hope a local owner or group buys and keeps it there. PG needs them more than any other town in BC. The travel costs alone makes the franchise not too profitable.

Who knows what is going to happen with the CHL over the coming years. Seems like CHL kids are going to be allowed to go to the NCAA now and no longer have to choose between the 2.

So there's a lot of misconceptions and downright bad reporting by a lot of media over this issue. The proposed rule change would only grant CHL players that have aged out (ie, over 20) to go the NCAA. A player from 15-18 still has to decide to either go CHL, Junior A, USHL or the new BCHL. They can't hop back and forth.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
PG got the relocated Victoria Cougars in 1994, the Chilliwack team moved to become the Victoria Royals, now the PG Cougars might move to Chilliwack and complete the future considerations deal.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I grew up in Prince George. The Cougars were a big part of the community in the late 90s. I would hate to see them move, despite them being so isolated, northern BC really needs that team.
I also grew up in PG, I really hope they stay. :(

From what I heard, things have gotten rough in the city. Downtown isn't safe anymore, tonnes of break-ins. It's very depressing to hear. :(

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I also grew up in PG, I really hope they stay. :(

From what I heard, things have gotten rough in the city. Downtown isn't safe anymore, tonnes of break-ins. It's very depressing to hear. :(

Yeah, Prince George was always rough but it's gotten to a whole other level now. There were many high paying jobs back in the day but these have been significantly reduced due to outsourcing and reliance on migrant workers. There's way less disposable income nowadays.

Other communities (Kelowna) that have faced similar challenges in the past 30 years have heavily promoted tourism to keep on trucking but Prince George isn't a draw.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I mean, it all makes sense - but I also thought Aquilini had already closed on the purchase of that rink in Abbotsford, while the original article makes it seem like that transaction is far from complete.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It absolutely sucks for the grassroots aspect of the sport and medium-sized communities across Canada that the CHL is trending to just moving teams to metropolitan areas to sell a few more tickets.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
It absolutely sucks for the grassroots aspect of the sport and medium-sized communities across Canada that the CHL is trending to just moving teams to metropolitan areas to sell a few more tickets.

This is the trickle down effect of not having a productive economy and being overly reliant on Tim Hortons to prop up the GDP. There's way less money flowing though the smaller communities in Canada nowadays.

I suspect this will get way worse as many youth hockey leagues in smaller communities rely on local sponsors to survive.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
I think it’s important to emphasize this. Not just as an inspiration for youth to play the game, but even just involvement as a fan. A cultural investment.

It’s easy to take things for granted as a kid, but one thing I did grow to recognize was the access I had to major junior hockey in Prince George. High level competition at a very affordable price for families. Now that I live in New Westminster, have a toddler, and another baby on the way, I’ve realized I simply do not have the same level of access I did in PG. The Canucks are way out of the reasonable price range. The Giants play in the middle of nowhere. The AHL Canucks are even further out. There are some BCHL options around but it’s just not the same level or experience. As a father who would love to take his kids to live hockey games a few times a season, what are my options? That seems bonkers for anyone that lives in Vancouver-Burnaby-New West.

Fingers crossed that Surrey really makes a central arena a reality and anchors a team there. Skytrain access would make it a reasonable option for a ton of families.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think the PG Citizen jumped the gun or got a bad source on this and published an article they shouldn’t.

It seems one of the six shares of ownership is for sale while all other involved owners are staying on. Rather than the entire team being for sale.

Could very well be lip service and you hope it’s not but I wouldn’t be shocked of the day they do move. The support isn’t there and anyone saying otherwise is just lying.

This past season was the best team this franchise has ever seen and the attendance was still in the bottom third of the league. It’s pitiful.

Just don’t think many can afford to go all the time anymore and even though the team has been better lately it seems the support still isn’t quite there. The last few years have been great but it feels like we all get a sense that this will be a flash in the pan and the team will be fighting for 8 seeds once again. Need to have more years of this caliber of hockey for interest to really be back.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad