Prime Crosby & Malkin in Stanley Cup Runs

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Crosby is a complete player and actually played defense.

He also led the team. Both by example and actually led the team.

Do you get leadership vibes from McDavid?

The Oiler duo are fun to watch. It is why I wanted them in the finals even though I didn't think that the Oilers could keep up with Florida.

But there is a reason beyond bad surrounding players choices and coaches that the Oilers never have won anything in this era. McDavid is the Ovechkin of this era. Fun to watch but will never match Crosby's multiple Cups.
I agree with the leadership thing....
McDavid should have scored on that partial breakaway, or at least hit a post or something, instead of a weak shot into the pads. That's where it all starts!

Also sacrifice....
Like Crosby could have played the half-wall instead of Geno, but he gave that position up because it made the PP (and team) better overall.

He's an amazing player, and sure he's not Crosby, but ultimately, they are taking way too long to fill holes on their team. I mean...their goaltender is Skinner...seriously?? They needed a few clutch saves in game 1&2 which they didn't get.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I agree with the leadership thing....
McDavid should have scored on that partial breakaway, or at least hit a post or something, instead of a weak shot into the pads. That's where it all starts!

Also sacrifice....
Like Crosby could have played the half-wall instead of Geno, but he gave that position up because it made the PP (and team) better overall.

He's an amazing player, and sure he's not Crosby, but ultimately, they are taking way too long to fill holes on their team. I mean...their goaltender is Skinner...seriously?? They needed a few clutch saves in game 1&2 which they didn't get.
And yet Skinner is infinitely better than Jarry….lol

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Always made me a little/very sour on Orpik, Cooke, Adams and Staal after hearing that meeting story.

Also made me appreciate Malkin and laugh/love that Ashams was in there defending Sid's C 10 months into being a Penguin.

Still remember Malkin coming onto the ice for that practice with a Cyrillic C taped onto his jersey.

Also, f*** Adams for being a bitch and getting his ass whooped by Geno in practice

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Evidently Adams and Staal were in the "Orpik Camp" as well.

Buncha douchebags.

I always think back to the HBO show where his kid wouldn’t call him Dad and just called him Craig lol

And this does bring a tear to my eye
IMG_0757.jpeg

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Crosby is a complete player and actually played defense.

He also led the team. Both by example and actually led the team.

Do you get leadership vibes from McDavid?

The Oiler duo are fun to watch. It is why I wanted them in the finals even though I didn't think that the Oilers could keep up with Florida.

But there is a reason beyond bad surrounding players choices and coaches that the Oilers never have won anything in this era. McDavid is the Ovechkin of this era. Fun to watch but will never match Crosby's multiple Cups.
McDavid is decisively more skilled than Sid. More dynamic, faster, just better. Sid is no slouch but McDavid is fantastic. Lemieux, Gretzky then McDavid. Orr was before my time so keep quiet.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
And yet Skinner is infinitely better than Jarry….lol
You really think so?

Career stats are pretty similar:
Skinner 2.69GAA @ 0.910 SV%
Jarry 2.70GAA @ 0.912 SV%

Last year even...
Skinner 2.62GAA @ 0.905 SV%
Jarry 2.91GAA @ 0.903 SV%

I don't know how many "clutch" saves Skinner has made over the season and playoffs, but he doesn't seem all that great a goalie.

To be fair goalies are weird, and you never know when they figure it out. I mean look at Bobrovsky. I remember everybody talking about how horrible that $10M cap hit is and no way to get out of it, and yet, now everybody would love to have him!

Well maybe not for $10M :D.

Reactions: Andy99

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
McDavid is decisively more skilled than Sid. More dynamic, faster, just better. Sid is no slouch but McDavid is fantastic. Lemieux, Gretzky then McDavid. Orr was before my time so keep quiet.

Ehh, more skilled, yes, decisively better, no. Sid is a better 5v5 player, is stronger on the boards and has better vision. McDavid is a better pp player and has more skill. Id rather have Sid because in the playoffs 5v5 play becomes more valuable than in the regular season, especially as you enter the later rounds.

Also, Sid has consistently had mediocre linemates compared to McDavid. Imagine if the Pens played prime Sid and Geno together in the playoffs for 25min a night, like Edmonton does with McDrai. Sid and Geno would have put up video game numbers, but likely at the expense of team success

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The only thing prime McDavid definitively has on prime Sid is speed, imo. Skill with the puck, shot, passing ability, vision, I think are about even. McDavid's just much faster than Sid ever was (and he was very fast before his high ankle sprain), but McDavid's also got nothing on Sid's puck protection or edgework. /shrug

I think they're pretty radically different players tbh. The more apt comparison would be prime McDavid and prime Geno in terms of style.

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON

Don’t agree at all.

Just seems that way because….

A. We never saw Sid’s best years offensively.

B. They shrunk goalie pad size.

We went from 1-2 guys breaking 100 points, some years none… to 15-20 guys breaking 100 points.

Is Huberdeau or Gaudreau better than Geno because of numbers? No way.

Scoring is up league wide and it makes it seem like McDavid has done more.

C. More teams pull goalies sooner. There are more meaningless empty net points.

D. We haven’t seen McDavid’s decline.

What happens when he’s not faster than everyone else?

You put prime Sid in this era and he’s easily a 150 point guy.

While playing a 200-foot game.

McDavid can get there but he has a long way to go.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
You really think so?

Career stats are pretty similar:
Skinner 2.69GAA @ 0.910 SV%
Jarry 2.70GAA @ 0.912 SV%

Last year even...
Skinner 2.62GAA @ 0.905 SV%
Jarry 2.91GAA @ 0.903 SV%

I don't know how many "clutch" saves Skinner has made over the season and playoffs, but he doesn't seem all that great a goalie.

To be fair goalies are weird, and you never know when they figure it out. I mean look at Bobrovsky. I remember everybody talking about how horrible that $10M cap hit is and no way to get out of it, and yet, now everybody would love to have him!

Well maybe not for $10M :D.
Well I meant that facetiously but Skinner and Jarry are close to being the same goalie, though Skinner might be more clutch lol…does it matter because EDM has way more talent and better coaching than the Pens to more than make up for the below average goaltending they get…

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009

Every time it pops up on twitter I just watch it with awe. This goal and the goal Jagr scored sliding on his side on the ice against Hextall and the Flyers were the two best goals I've ever seen.

Still remember that goal. Same night as I graduated HS (f*** I’m getting old) and we all went to Bdubs after and the game was still on and when Geno scored this goal we all cheered loudly.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Still remember Malkin coming onto the ice for that practice with a Cyrillic C taped onto his jersey.

Also, f*** Adams for being a bitch and getting his ass whooped by Geno in practice
just for the record its actually K, since the sound has a diferent sign than in English, a Cyrillic C is a completely different sign;)

Reactions: End of Line

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
That game where Orpik got Thornton'd was insane. Orpik slobberknocked a dude in Eriksson who had just come back from a concussion and he didn't even have the puck. Neal kneed Marchand in the head iirc. Just a shitshow. :laugh:

Some of those Bylsma era teams had some psychotic streaks.

I can't believe they kept Dan after this series.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
After the Pens won that game where they put up 10, a buddy and I decided that night to drive overnight to Pittsburgh to catch a the next home game and the one after on the big screen outside.

Man, that series was so bad. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad