Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign Tyler Myers to 3y/3m Contract

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He better not be our 2RD so getting rid of him would have meant 2 extra mil of cap space to use on someone who actually belongs in the 2RD spot. There's a whole bunch of them available this summer.
UFA market isn't great for legit 2D unless it's Pesce and I doubt an American with options is coming all the way to Van. Marino is said to be shopped by NJ but has a 8 team No trade list, so coin flip for Van to be on it or not. Tanev has a market, so not getting a deal on him. Guessing 3 year term for him as well.

Reactions: mossey3535

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
UFA market isn't great for legit 2D unless it's Pesce and I doubt an American with options is coming all the way to Van. Marino is said to be shopped by NJ but has a 8 team No trade list, so coin flip for Van to be on it or not.
It's the best summer for 2RD in at least a decade. I can't remember the last summer this many good options for top 4 RD hit free agency.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Good deal, his play actually improves in the playoffs, rare trait (probably due to the fact akward hits, face washes, cross checks in front of the net, rough physical battles don’t get called in the playoffs like they do in the regular season). He was an effective player for the Canucks in a shutdown role.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The issue is the canucks do not have internal options pushing to replace someone like Myers (thanks Benning!).
There's a reason why RHDs are premium assets. I know the thanks Benning part is a throwaway comment but for the sake of discussion what would you have done differently besides something really general like go after certain Dmen who has now blossomed into a top 4. I mean our management kept and now re-signed Myers because there is no easy replacement. I suppose the easiest thing to do was to keep Chatfield.

I've been saying over the years that the best way to acquire a top 4 Dman is to draft them and not having spent high picks on a Dmen from Gillis through the Benning years was bound to haunt. Having more picks helps but sometimes it's also timing. Take the first three rounds. Who could we have drafted instead that would have given us that Myers RHD replacement? 2016 we could have drafted McAvoy but most of us would have drafted Tkachuk. In 2017 a lot of people here wanted Josh Brook instead of Gadjovich but Brooks is a bust.

In 2018 we could have drafted Dobson over the current Norris trophy winner. We also picked Jett Woo that year who if he did develop as Brackett had hoped Woo would be a direct replacement. In 2019 with Seider gone, there wasn't a RHD in the vicinity that you or I would have chosen. 2020 we didn't have a pick but that was for JT Miller. Certainly without the Miller trade and without Miller we would be in a position to draft Schneider, but we might have ended up in the 9-13 pick range and drafted a forward. In 2021 we traded the pick partly because Clarke wasn't going to be there. The next defenseman drafted was a RHD (Ceulemans).

Reactions: Billy Kvcmu

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Yeah hopefully another "Schenn" type of acquisition will turn up (and yes, Jim Benning should get credit for signing him on that one). Cheap vet on a one or two year deal. Just for depth. At worst, a good vet to have in Abby to "mentor" the prospects there.
Jim Benning doesn't get credit for that. How many former first or second rounders did he give second chances because of draft pedigree? It's stupid and lazy as a practice the way implemented in Benning Vancouver.

Piece of shit never saw anything in the person or player but "Schenn" which was a huge deal in CHL hockey and "2008 1st(5th ovr)".

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
There's a reason why RHDs are premium assets. I know the thanks Benning part is a throwaway comment but for the sake of discussion what would you have done differently besides something really general like go after certain Dmen who has now blossomed into a top 4. I mean our management kept and now re-signed Myers because there is no easy replacement. I suppose the easiest thing to do was to keep Chatfield.

I've been saying over the years that the best way to acquire a top 4 Dman is to draft them and not having spent high picks on a Dmen from Gillis through the Benning years was bound to haunt. Having more picks helps but sometimes it's also timing. Take the first three rounds. Who could we have drafted instead that would have given us that Myers RHD replacement? 2016 we could have drafted McAvoy but most of us would have drafted Tkachuk. In 2017 a lot of people here wanted Josh Brook instead of Gadjovich but Brooks is a bust.

In 2018 we could have drafted Dobson over the current Norris trophy winner. We also picked Jett Woo that year who if he did develop as Brackett had hoped Woo would be a direct replacement. In 2019 with Seider gone, there wasn't a RHD in the vicinity that you or I would have chosen. 2020 we didn't have a pick but that was for JT Miller. Certainly without the Miller trade and without Miller we would be in a position to draft Schneider, but we might have ended up in the 9-13 pick range and drafted a forward. In 2021 we traded the pick partly because Clarke wasn't going to be there. The next defenseman drafted was a RHD (Ceulemans).
Curious comment given I’m OK with the signing….

The comment was Benning destroyed the organizational depth. I don’t need to come up with a specific name or move. He destroyed the depth everywhere.

Reactions: MikeK

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I'm still surprised at all the negative nellyies here. I happily take Myers at a $3M cap hit. Term is maybe questionable but he still has game left. Worry about year 3 in year 3. I have no issues with this signing whatsoever. You were not going to replace his minutes for $3M on the open market.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm still surprised at all the negative nellyies here. I happily take Myers at a $3M cap hit. Term is maybe questionable but he still has game left. Worry about year 3 in year 3. I have no issues with this signing whatsoever. You were not going to replace his minutes for $3M on the open market.
I think most here would like Tanev, but that's not a sure thing. Dallas cleared up some cap room with the Suter buyout. And if he does hit the market, going to be multiple teams in on him.
Pesce, American kid from the NE, I doubt he'd sign in Canada.
Walker will be looking to get paid, same with Carrier (whom I'm surprised Nash allowed to hit the market at his age).

Reactions: MikeK

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Curious comment given I’m OK with the signing….

The comment was Benning destroyed the organizational depth. I don’t need to come up with a specific name or move. He destroyed the depth everywhere.
Not sure why you found my comment curious given I was discussing what you wrote but Okay…

Did he destroy our depth in goal?

Do half the teams have an internal RHD option that can replace a player like Myers? My point is that top 4 calibre RHDs are premium assets for a reason. Carolina is one of the few teams that have had RHD depth over the years and they drafted most of them or expensed premium assets to acquire one.

There’s a reason we are still talking about Tanev and Larsson. There aren’t early to mid 20s equivalents that we can easily just go out to acquire. The easiest way is to draft one and my point is that you have to be in the position to and use a premium pick to draft one and we haven’t.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
3 more years

giphy.gif

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Not sure I agree. Juulsen, Friedman, and Woo is probably the best collection of players the team has that could step in and fill a depth role, other than arguably fourth line wing. If there was any spot they could leave to a training camp competition it was third pairing RD. Comparably they have no one who can step in as a LD or at centre.

They now need a RD to slot in ahead of Myers and a LD.

this 100

My fear is that they intend to have Soucy and Myers on the second pairing….

they absolutely do

they went from an ideal lineup of

hughes - hronek
zad - tanev (let’s say $9m, 4.75 for z if you promise him the haircut pays for tanev)
soucy - someone soucy will babysit

to

hughes - hronek
soucy - myers
who? - idk

and really the best configuration is actually

hughes (1RD hole that needs to be filled)
soucy hronek
babysitter for - myers

ugh, bringing him back doesn’t just saddle us with myers, who i never wanted to see again, but it forecloses so many options when 3RD was the easiest hole to fill

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
this 100

they absolutely do

they went from an ideal lineup of

hughes - hronek
zad - tanev (let’s say $9m, 4.75 for z if you promise him the haircut pays for tanev)
soucy - someone soucy will babysit

to

hughes - hronek
soucy - myers
who? - idk

and really the best configuration is actually

hughes (1RD hole that needs to be filled)
soucy hronek
babysitter for - myers

ugh, bringing him back doesn’t just saddle us with myers, who i never wanted to see again, but it forecloses so many options when 3RD was the easiest hole to fill
Meh

Myers has been underrated because of his cap hit for many years

idm him at this cap hit at all

Also if 4.75 gets Zad to re-sign then it would have been done

Reactions: rypper

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Benning giving Chatfield away for anything is a criminally shit move that has not been talked about enough

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Benning giving Chatfield away for anything is a criminally shit move that has not been talked about enough
Chatfield hadn’t progressed at all. Him being let go was fine. The problem, and had been for a while under him, was the player development at the AHL and NHL level was atrocious.

So ultimately it’s a defensible move for him to make but only because he created an environment for him to do so.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lol!....so Demko was a big fan of Myers reupping with the Canucks. I guess having a big body back protecting the front of the net is reassuring.

But seems to me to be not much of a compensation for some of the inevitable turnovers that force Demko to bail him out. But probably after both guys have been with the organization for the past six years, they're pretty close.

But not the first time Demko has applauded a signing by the Canucks. He lobbied hard for Ian Clark when his contract expired and it looked like he might bolt to another NHL organization.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Well Chatfield was a Group VI UFA. These guys tend to move on unless you offer a 1 way / roster spot.

Chatfield hadn’t progressed at all. Him being let go was fine. The problem, and had been for a while under him, was the player development at the AHL and NHL level was atrocious.

So ultimately it’s a defensible move for him to make but only because he created an environment for him to do so.

Chatfield wasn't a polarizing player. Pretty much the entire fan base thought of Chatfield the same way. The most outside the norm comment about Chatfield actually came from Benning who said Chatfield was a cross between Stecher and Tanev.

I'm not so sure that our "development" of him was the problem. No way his stint in Chicago is the difference maker, then again, I hate Cull. He sucks. Chatfield did become the next Dman up in 20-21 following a strong camp. Of course, Green being Green, thrust Chatfield alongside Edler IRRC which was both good and bad. Good in that Edler was a quality partner but bad in that he played tough minutes - minutes that many others struggled in.

I think in hindsight, Green and Baumer's impact shouldn't be underestimated. If you recall back to the Tanev threads, there were genuine concerns that Tanev was in decline. He then leaves here (and Green) and straight away gets back to being an elite shut-down Dman. Edler was also terrific in his first year as a King. Meanwhile, Myers sucked except in OEL's first year here under Green.

Caboose

Jan 16, 2019
Other than Hughes and when Hronek is really rolling or the #7/#8 guy is in, Toch likes to play all his dmen similar minutes in that 19-20 range. Looking at Myers as a second or third pairing dman is irrelevant, he formed a very good to great pairing with Soucy. At 3 mil per giving us that success for about 20 mins a night with Soucy is a great contract. I'm happy to have him back especially if he continues that success he found late in the year and into the playoffs.

Reactions: mathonwy

Promethean

Jun 29, 2024
Adam Larsson is on a 1 year, $4M dollar contract for next season. He's on Seattle who will not be contending. It's a mismanaged organization.

That's the Zadorov target for next season, meanwhile Myers is a perfect 3rd pair for playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad