GDT: Preseason Game 06 - Winnipeg Jets @ Calgary Flames - Friday, October 4th, 2024 - 8:00pm CDT - TSN3 - Power 97

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Fleury hasn't done much to inspire any confidence. I'd rather play the kid then him. We need a much better year from Pionk and I'm not sure we'll get it.
Honestly, this is exactly the scenario that most teams would slot a guy like Salo in. The situation is super ripe for that to happen and you need to give him a chance. This team cannot just continue to wait for perfection for young players to step in.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I would have him play big minutes in the AHL as well but I don't see him getting a small handful of games at the start of the year to show him the pace of the NHL games as harmful. I think it would help him.
We're in agreement. Shelter him, give him some reps - maybe even have 7 D to further insulate him?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
hope demelo is okay, I think salo deserves to start with the team and it's funny you can copy and paste some of the comments from last preseason in this thread...

To me, that shows admirable consistency.

Same roster, same special teams, same deployment, same preseason thread comments.

Jets and fanbase are finally aligned.

Weird game but looks like team minus Gus survived the preseason gauntlet of goons. Next up — the real test.

Last edited:

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Honestly, this is exactly the scenario that most teams would slot a guy like Salo in. The situation is super ripe for that to happen and you need to give him a chance. This team cannot just continue to wait for perfection for young players to step in.
It's more than perfection. I think in Salos case is developing the player properly and putting him in a position to succeed.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
They also have Ville and Stanley coming back by as early as the end of the month. We need to know what we have in Ville this year and we desperately need his retrieval and breakout ability to translate.
It will be interesting to see how they manage their d corps when Stan and Ville are back. Of course, it could be a situation where one or more of our D is out at any given time, but if not - pretty confident the only way to retain depth is to assign/ waive in order:

Salo
Coghlan
Fleury

Morrissey Demelo
Samberg Pionk
Heinola Miller
Stanley

Unless they decide to carry 8 defensemen which I don't think is a good idea.

Reactions: Buffdog

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Still only his 3rd game. I can see the issues in his game but hopefully he can clean that up. He might not have the head for it.

I still firmly believe that Salo has some development needed to take the step to the NHL. He played a 31 game season in SEL last year, and while that is pro hockey amongst men, the skill level and sheer amount of games in NA pro, along with the rink size and physicality is a huge step. You're risking his confidence and body by asking him to adapt to that in the nhl.

The one thing that has changed for me is the idea that maybe we get him a couple of games until Heinola or Stan back, kind of as a reward for his strong preseason. That will also give him a better idea of what he needs to work on on the Moose.

Agree he needs AHL time - but last year he played 31 regular season games in SHL, + 16 PO games, + 11 Sweden U20 games. 58 games in all.

I like how much he has improved since that first game. I think he might be ready in as few as 10-20 AHL games. But a full season might be best for him. He can replace Pionk next year.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Still only his 3rd game. I can see the issues in his game but hopefully he can clean that up. He might not have the head for it.

I still firmly believe that Salo has some development needed to take the step to the NHL. He played a 31 game season in SEL last year, and while that is pro hockey amongst men, the skill level and sheer amount of games in NA pro, along with the rink size and physicality is a huge step. You're risking his confidence and body by asking him to adapt to that in the nhl.

The one thing that has changed for me is the idea that maybe we get him a couple of games until Heinola or Stan back, kind of as a reward for his strong preseason. That will also give him a better idea of what he needs to work on on the Moose.
If we judged Colin Miller by his first 5 games as a Jet, there wouldn't be much confidence either. I think Fleury for sure starts on the road against Edmonton. I would be surprised if Salomonsson's first game is against Mc David/Draisaitl. That's a steep learning curve. But the home stretch of 4 games, he's played against some good Wild players already. San Jose seems like a team to play him against. I definitely think Arniel will want some control over how he matches up a rookie.

I think the Moose makes sense is you want him to develop as a top 4 RD. But the quality of players on that team is mostly up front. I'd say he probably gets a shutdown role with Lundmark, if he goes there. Maybe you have Torgersson, Zhilkin, Salomonsson all in that role this year.

Reactions: Jet and thereturn

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
They also have Ville and Stanley coming back by as early as the end of the month. We need to know what we have in Ville this year and we desperately need his retrieval and breakout ability to translate.
True. But what if Salo exceeds expectations or has a fantastic start. Why not move him back to his natural RHD and slot Ville in at LHD. They dont have to play together, they can play with whoever. But maybe push Miller to 7D?
Just a thought.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Give Salmon 6 or so games and you'll know where he should be playing.
I think he starts with the Moose.
Villie, Miller, Fleury and Stanley will compete for 3rd line minutes.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think Barron Kupari Iafallo will be the 4th line and Lambo and Chibs go down to the Moose.
Gus will be the extra forward.

Reactions: Buffdog

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I still believe that Stanley is ahead of Ville on the depth chart. I look at the last game. Fleury played 2nd unit PK, two straight games for him, no goals against. Arniel is going to want that PK to improve, and Stan has a better chance of slotting in there than Ville. Morrissey only played a reserve role. When De Melo was in the box. Good way of keeping him fresh. Miller had 0 minutes on PK. Though he had played PK earlier in preseason.

2nd PP Pionk is still running it, 2nd PP has looked good in preseason, last game Iafallo was in there instead of Miller, which I though was interesting. Miller has traditionally been an offensive zone guy in his career. Which makes sense with that shot. That still leaves Samberg and Pionk in a shutdown role eventually, which I think is the most inconsistent looking pairing so far in preseason.

Stan makes a good first pass too, but he has the frame to win puck battles, it remains to be seen if Ville can absorb the physicality of the NHL.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I still believe that Stanley is ahead of Ville on the depth chart. I look at the last game. Fleury played 2nd unit PK, two straight games for him, no goals against. Arniel is going to want that PK to improve, and Stan has a better chance of slotting in there than Ville. Morrissey only played a reserve role. When De Melo was in the box. Good way of keeping him fresh. Miller had 0 minutes on PK. Though he had played PK earlier in preseason.

2nd PP Pionk is still running it, 2nd PP has looked good in preseason, last game Iafallo was in there instead of Miller, which I though was interesting. Miller has traditionally been an offensive zone guy in his career. Which makes sense with that shot. That still leaves Samberg and Pionk in a shutdown role eventually, which I think is the most inconsistent looking pairing so far in preseason.

Stan makes a good first pass too, but he has the frame to win puck battles, it remains to be seen if Ville can absorb the physicality of the NHL.

I'm sure Stanley will get his games as well and likely is the first choice atm. But the org is still going to need to see Ville this year if he is healthy.

Reactions: voyageur

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think Barron Kupari Iafallo will be the 4th line and Lambo and Chibs go down to the Moose.
Gus will be the extra forward.
Be interesting to see if JAD stays up. Might get more offense out of him than Gus or Kupari. Jets still have about $2.5 million in Cap space once Comrie gets demoted. Not sure how SOIR works, if Stan and Heinola end up there.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Be interesting to see if JAD stays up. Might get more offense out of him than Gus or Kupari. Jets still have about $2.5 million in Cap space once Comrie gets demoted. Not sure how SOIR works, if Stan and Heinola end up there.
I think the surprise was how well JAD played with and complemented Lowry/Neidereitter in his chances there. I wonder if they might want to try him as an upgrade to Appleton in an effort to increase the line `s offensive punch?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think the surprise was how well JAD played with and complemented Lowry/Neidereitter in his chances there. I wonder if they might want to try him as an upgrade to Appleton in an effort to increase the line `s offensive punch?
After the play Appleton made on Nino's goal, I'd say he's safe for now, he still seems to be a cog in that line.

But Anderson-Dolan has the ability to make that a bigger, more physically imposing line.

I think organizationally you always have to look down your depth chart. Replacements for Appleton on Lowry's line have consisted of Vesalainen, Reichel, Poganski, Harkins, Kuhlman. If Apples goes down it's good to have a guy who can step in and keep the pace of play up.

You need certain guys who can have long stretches in the PB. Gustasson has been one of them, Stanley. Practice hard, stay positive until you get your chance. Be a good teammate. For players who have had long stints in the minors, making the show and staying in it is enough to be happy about. I think JAD has the Kings connection in his favour. Maybe the Calgary angle too. As a way to fit the team. Honestly if he gets waived, would a team like Calgary pick him up as their 4C...He's better than Rooney. Guess we'll find out tomorrow what coach and GM think.

Reactions: ecolad

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
After the play Appleton made on Nino's goal, I'd say he's safe for now, he still seems to be a cog in that line.

But Anderson-Dolan has the ability to make that a bigger, more physically imposing line.

I think organizationally you always have to look down your depth chart. Replacements for Appleton on Lowry's line have consisted of Vesalainen, Reichel, Poganski, Harkins, Kuhlman. If Apples goes down it's good to have a guy who can step in and keep the pace of play up.

You need certain guys who can have long stretches in the PB. Gustasson has been one of them, Stanley. Practice hard, stay positive until you get your chance. Be a good teammate. For players who have had long stints in the minors, making the show and staying in it is enough to be happy about. I think JAD has the Kings connection in his favour. Maybe the Calgary angle too. As a way to fit the team. Honestly if he gets waived, would a team like Calgary pick him up as their 4C...He's better than Rooney. Guess we'll find out tomorrow what coach and GM think.
Don`t disagree with anything you say - it`s just that there seemed to be flashes of significant chemistry between Lowry and him in particular. and that`s something the org should really be looking for. If Lowry`s line could become more balanced and generate more consistent offence, it would be a major game-changer.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Don`t disagree with anything you say - it`s just that there seemed to be flashes of significant chemistry between Lowry and him in particular. and that`s something the org should really be looking for. If Lowry`s line could become more balanced and generate more consistent offence, it would be a major game-changer.
I think it's interesting that JAD, who has similar point totals to Kupari in his NHL career (more goals though), would be thought of as an offensive catalyst over Appleton. The numbers are in Apples favour in that regard. I think organizationally you are probably satisfied with that line winning matchups but there are a number of players who could slot into a more offensive looking 4th line, especially Lambert over Kupari, to change the look of the team to a more balanced attack. Nino is the one player I wonder if he doesn't get moved around a bit, because he looks like he could have a nice season after a strong preseason.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

How does JAD make them bigger? He is 5'11. Appleton is 6'2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad