GDT: Preseason Game 06 - Winnipeg Jets @ Calgary Flames - Friday, October 4th, 2024 - 8:00pm CDT - TSN3 - Power 97

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Fleury hasn't done much to inspire any confidence. I'd rather play the kid then him. We need a much better year from Pionk and I'm not sure we'll get it.
Honestly, this is exactly the scenario that most teams would slot a guy like Salo in. The situation is super ripe for that to happen and you need to give him a chance. This team cannot just continue to wait for perfection for young players to step in.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I would have him play big minutes in the AHL as well but I don't see him getting a small handful of games at the start of the year to show him the pace of the NHL games as harmful. I think it would help him.
We're in agreement. Shelter him, give him some reps - maybe even have 7 D to further insulate him?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
hope demelo is okay, I think salo deserves to start with the team and it's funny you can copy and paste some of the comments from last preseason in this thread...

To me, that shows admirable consistency.

Same roster, same special teams, same deployment, same preseason thread comments.

Jets and fanbase are finally aligned.

Weird game but looks like team minus Gus survived the preseason gauntlet of goons. Next up — the real test.

Last edited:

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Honestly, this is exactly the scenario that most teams would slot a guy like Salo in. The situation is super ripe for that to happen and you need to give him a chance. This team cannot just continue to wait for perfection for young players to step in.
It's more than perfection. I think in Salos case is developing the player properly and putting him in a position to succeed.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
They also have Ville and Stanley coming back by as early as the end of the month. We need to know what we have in Ville this year and we desperately need his retrieval and breakout ability to translate.
It will be interesting to see how they manage their d corps when Stan and Ville are back. Of course, it could be a situation where one or more of our D is out at any given time, but if not - pretty confident the only way to retain depth is to assign/ waive in order:

Salo
Coghlan
Fleury

Morrissey Demelo
Samberg Pionk
Heinola Miller
Stanley

Unless they decide to carry 8 defensemen which I don't think is a good idea.

Reactions: Buffdog

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Still only his 3rd game. I can see the issues in his game but hopefully he can clean that up. He might not have the head for it.

I still firmly believe that Salo has some development needed to take the step to the NHL. He played a 31 game season in SEL last year, and while that is pro hockey amongst men, the skill level and sheer amount of games in NA pro, along with the rink size and physicality is a huge step. You're risking his confidence and body by asking him to adapt to that in the nhl.

The one thing that has changed for me is the idea that maybe we get him a couple of games until Heinola or Stan back, kind of as a reward for his strong preseason. That will also give him a better idea of what he needs to work on on the Moose.

Agree he needs AHL time - but last year he played 31 regular season games in SHL, + 16 PO games, + 11 Sweden U20 games. 58 games in all.

I like how much he has improved since that first game. I think he might be ready in as few as 10-20 AHL games. But a full season might be best for him. He can replace Pionk next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad