GDT: Preseason Game 06 - Winnipeg Jets @ Calgary Flames - Friday, October 4th, 2024 - 8:00pm CDT - TSN3 - Power 97

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Fleury hasn't done much to inspire any confidence. I'd rather play the kid then him. We need a much better year from Pionk and I'm not sure we'll get it.
Honestly, this is exactly the scenario that most teams would slot a guy like Salo in. The situation is super ripe for that to happen and you need to give him a chance. This team cannot just continue to wait for perfection for young players to step in.

AtomicJets

Dec 20, 2014
Fleury is acceptable as a #8 depth defenceman. Coghlan is not. If Coghlan makes the team we should be worried. I'm fine with Fleury especially given how thin we are on the left side right now.

Reactions: surixon

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I would have him play big minutes in the AHL as well but I don't see him getting a small handful of games at the start of the year to show him the pace of the NHL games as harmful. I think it would help him.
We're in agreement. Shelter him, give him some reps - maybe even have 7 D to further insulate him?

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
hope demelo is okay, I think salo deserves to start with the team and it's funny you can copy and paste some of the comments from last preseason in this thread...

To me, that shows admirable consistency.

Same roster, same special teams, same deployment, same preseason thread comments.

Jets and fanbase are finally aligned.

Weird game but looks like team minus Gus survived the preseason gauntlet of goons. Next up — the real test.

Last edited:

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Honestly, this is exactly the scenario that most teams would slot a guy like Salo in. The situation is super ripe for that to happen and you need to give him a chance. This team cannot just continue to wait for perfection for young players to step in.
It's more than perfection. I think in Salos case is developing the player properly and putting him in a position to succeed.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's more than perfection. I think in Salos case is developing the player properly and putting him in a position to succeed.

They also have Ville and Stanley coming back by as early as the end of the month. We need to know what we have in Ville this year and we desperately need his retrieval and breakout ability to translate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad