GDT: Preseason Game 03 - Calgary Flames @ Winnipeg Jets - Wednesday, September 27th, 2023 - 7:00pm CDT - TSN3 - CJOB/Power 97

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Bauer looks a couple of leagues in over his head. He'd be a solid ECHL player. Just a pylon in the NHL...
One league. I thought he was pretty decent in the AHL.

And while he gets turned - he may be able to improve on the reads and his footspeed in time- he is v. good at taking out his guy along the boards. And he has that one skill that makes him valuable. He is a ****** good fighter.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Never really understood this organization being smitten with Logan Stanley. But now it's starting to become worrisome. There's a few that offer the same or better options, yet we re-sign the guy and we may wind up losing Chisolm to waivers and - if he demands a trade - Heinola.

It's really baffling.
We will soon see if they are still smitten as decisions will soon need to be made. As of today Chevy has navigated keeping all his young defenceman. Soon that option will be out of hands and IMO he needs to act proactively if there is still a residual market for Stanley.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
I just don't see the same things in Perfetti that everyone else seems to. I think we are a legit 2nd line center away from being a threat.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I just don't see the same things in Perfetti that everyone else seems to. I think we are a legit 2nd line center away from being a threat.
80+ xGF% yesterday, 60% on the face-off dot, limits chances very effectively in the defensive zone. If there's any issue to be had with his two games it's a lack of offense, but apart from that he's been very good at doing the things you want from a centre and I have no concerns about his offensive game coming together.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
80+ xGF% yesterday, 60% on the face-off dot, limits chances very effectively in the defensive zone. If there's any issue to be had with his two games it's a lack of offense, but apart from that he's been very good at doing the things you want from a centre and I have no concerns about his offensive game coming together.

Agreed. He's probably been asked by the coach to focus on his defensive play first, faceoffs second and offense third. My guess is it really comes together once he's fully comfortable with his defensive reads.

Not really worried about his offense, even whe focusing on defense he's generated some real good looks.

Also my guess is the org is taking more of a Jonathan Toews type template for him then a Scheifele type one. They probably want him to be a true two-way C, not a one dimensional scoring C. He's shown some good signs already and we are only teo games in. It's not about the now bit the end product for the org.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Agreed. He's probably been asked by the coach to focus on his defensive play first, faceoffs second and offense third. My guess is it really comes together once he's fully comfortable with his defensive reads.

Not really worried about his offense, even whe focusing on defense he's generated some real good looks.
I'd also suggest that Nino is kind of doing the preseason vet coast out there. Either that or him and Perfetti aren't really clicking offensively. Either way though not really concerned.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Cheap shot or not (it was) Perfetti is an injury waiting to happen. Him and Lucius will always be question marks until they can play a whole season.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That was part of my point I was making. If you put yourself in a position to lose players to waivers along the way you will lose players you don’t want to lose.

Sure - but in this case, they chose the wrong player to expose. They kept both AJF and Kuhlman. IIRC we already had Kuhlman at the time and he is the one who should have been waived.

Not a big deal, just an instance of poor player evaluation. If we had kept Mikey we would probably be waiving him in a couple of weeks anyway.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Sure - but in this case, they chose the wrong player to expose. They kept both AJF and Kuhlman. IIRC we already had Kuhlman at the time and he is the one who should have been waived.

Not a big deal, just an instance of poor player evaluation. If we had kept Mikey we would probably be waiving him in a couple of weeks anyway.
There will always be debates on who should be waived, but the bottom line is you want to avoid waiving players you would like to have kept. And for the record I would have waived Kuhlman personally.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Stanley was likely shopped all off season to no takers. His value is nothing. He clears waivers
You never know with Chevy as he is the ultimate grinder. Could be there have been offers, but he is holding out for more and won't make a move until his hand is forced. Generally speaking as a group posters are not great pretend traders. We give away some players and want double the market value for others. If Chevy waives Stanley we will know there was no market. If he trades Stanley we will know that that was his maximum value.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Stanley was likely shopped all off season to no takers. His value is nothing. He clears waivers
If I'm at a Jets game, and someone at a concession yells out to me, "Hey, want a Jet Dog? Only $20 (or whatever stupid price they charge)" I'm like, uh no thanks. It's not worth what you're asking plus I'm going to feel obligated to eat it if I've paid for it.

But if someone says, "Hey want a free Jet Dog?" I'm like, sure why not? It's not costing me a thing and if it turns out I don't like it after taking a bite or two, I can always take it back and say, "This thing is shit, you can have it back".

See what I'm saying? :nod:

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
There will always be debates on who should be waived, but the bottom line is you want to avoid waiving players you would like to have kept. And for the record I would have waived Kuhlman personally.

That was a real headscratcher for me. I'd watched Mikey play for the Moose and the kid never quit on a play, had an endless motor and flashed some skill. At the very least I thought he might be a puck-digger who had some of the skill and drive of a Tanev, and decent D.

Kuhlman was... from Minnesota?

Agree with all that these were not make or break calls, but in an org that needs to get its talent spotting nailed down and pretty much all these player calls right to have a consistent shot, it's worth keeping track of.

And now we're looking, still, at a LD logjam where the player with the least upside and most pronounced D flaws is, according to some local pundits with presumably inside sources, a lock for the roster despite patchy preseason play, raising the prospect of a solid 7/8 in Capo risking waivers and a prospect with upside in Chisholm also having to pass through.

Hoping they do the right thing with the D, but I think some concern is warranted.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Cheap shot or not (it was) Perfetti is an injury waiting to happen. Him and Lucius will always be question marks until they can play a whole season.
He'll need to get more than 2 injuries before I think of him as injury prone. He was durable through juniors.

Reactions: hn777

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
To follow up from our conversation from last night. Under the current CBA rules rolling guys in and out on tryouts would most likely lead to the team losing a good junk of the player depth you are excited by. Right before the season the Jets and all other teams will have to reduce down to a 23 man roster which is the maximum allowed. Currently the Jets have the following players in hunts for roster positions:

Forwards:
Scheifele
Connor
Ehlers
Valardi
Names
Nino
Lowry
Perfetti (ELC)
Iaffalo
Baron
Appleton
Kupari
Gus
AJF
Harkins

Defenseman:
Morrissey
Dillon
Samberg
Pionk
Schmidt
DeMelo
Stanley
Capo
Chisholm
Heinola (ELC)

Goalies:
Helly
LB

That is 27 players, so 4 will be sent to the minors. The only 2 not subject to waivers are Perfetti and Heinola. No way Perfetti gets sent down so at least 3 players requiring waivers will have clear or be picked up by another team and lost for nothing. End of camp "cuts" are usually the safest as all teams are sending down players, but they are not without risk as we saw last year with Kovy.

After that bringing in players on your proposed tryouts would require waiving a player that then could be lost for nothing. Mid season waivers are far more risky as teams pay close attention to the waiver wire for player replacements of their own or to fill in for injuries. So a good chance each proposed tryout could to lead to the loss of 1 of our depth players. No team would ever follow such a strategy as it would potentially lead to a loss of their depth.

In terms of burning ELCs, no team does that as ELC contracts are very team friendly in terms of player movement rand cost control, especially under a cap situation.

Also you were the one who over reacted when an obvious flaw to a proposal was pointed out, even to the point of name calling.

Fair post. Thanks for taking the time. I apologize if i came off as a Dick. Not my intention as the vast majority of the time i genuinely appreciate your criticism knowing that you are more informed than i am.

Having said that, it sounds like with the number of players seemingly about to start the season on "IR" (albeit day-to-day), that perhaps we'll get to see an "extended tryout" afterall.

I still feel this team should (and will) see more rotation this year compared to previous years. Especially with PoMo gone and the depth this team has to offer. I dont believe this to be an impossibility as you had initially suggested. The CBA certainly restricts rotation, but There's always a way to circumvent CBAs and rules and were seeing it now.

Agree to disagree on this one KingBogo, but i will always respect your opinion and appreciate your feedback.

Here's a clip of Bonus (4 hours ago) talking about potentially injecting more prospects into the line up due to "IR".

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Fair post. Thanks for taking the time. I apologize if i came off as a Dick. Not my intention as the vast majority of the time i genuinely appreciate your criticism knowing that you are more informed than i am.

Having said that, it sounds like with the number of players seemingly about to start the season on "IR" (albeit day-to-day), that perhaps we'll get to see an "extended tryout" afterall.

I still feel this team should (and will) see more rotation this year compared to previous years. Especially with PoMo gone and the depth this team has to offer. I dont believe this to be an impossibility as you had initially suggested.

Agree to disagree on this one KingBogo, but i will always respect your opinion and appreciate your feedback.

Here's a clip of Bonus (4 hours ago) talking about potentially injecting more prospects into the line up due to "IR".

Well if there are injuries then by all means insert the prospects. When the team is fully healthy it gets really hard to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad