Premier League 2018-2019 Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
No games until April 1st, then 6 days until Everton starts a stretch of 5 games in 13 days.

The endless stupidity of the FA. Spurs play midweek so it makes all the sense in the world to play on Saturday, but of course they have scheduled a late away game on Sunday.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
FML; because Wolves game was postponed due to Europa and due to the international break, Arsenal's next game isn't until April 1st. WTF?

The game that should have taken place on 30 March had to be moved to 8pm on a Monday night so that a certain TV company could spit in the faces of Newcastle United fans who wished to travel down from the north east.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
In the course of 21 days (3/31 through 4/20) Spurs travel to Anfield, travel to Etihad twice and host City.

So good luck with that.

Hardly a problem being in the CL QFs :) When I played I never feared the "big games" (all is relative) - those were the ones you looked forward to. We'll see. We got Trippier so usually a big game means he'll give away one goal to the opposition - which I guess makes it even more interesting for the other players.

I'm more worried about CP and Huddersfield than the big games. Spurs can afford to lose to Liverpool and City and still quite easily manage top 4 with some good results in the other games (like CP and Huddersfield). But if the big games become a distraction and they keep on playing like they did against Southampton..... well.... then this spring will be a disaster regardless of who they are playing.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
We got Trippier so usually a big game means he'll give away one goal to the opposition - which I guess makes it even more interesting for the other players.

I swear if he wasn't English he'd be considered half the player he is now by the media.
He delivers set pieces - and that's it.

I hope Spurs can give City a fight in the quarters - and get past them, but City have had Spurs' number since Pep came in.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I swear if he wasn't English he'd be considered half the player he is now by the media.
He delivers set pieces - and that's it.

I hope Spurs can give City a fight in the quarters - and get past them, but City have had Spurs' number since Pep came in.

He is not terrible all the time. And his crossing really is exceptional for a full back - not only at set pieces. He hits the ball so so sweetly. But playing for a team fighting for titles (or trying to) he just isn't consistent enough - and those individual mistakes in big games are just too costly. If you play for a mid table team you don't really expect points against the best so if you make a big individual mistake it hasn't really cost you anything. You move on and the next big game a Trippier cross might bring you a surprise win. All perfectly acceptable. Basically the way Spurs used to be.

I don't know how his general reputation is. Probably a bit hyped after the WC (which he played very well in - to his credit - he surprised me). Spurs bought him cheaply from Burnley as a backup kind of player. He is a decent that suddenly became the English first choice in a bit of a WC run. And with Aurier being a huge disappointment at Spurs he then found himself in a key role both for club and country. All fairly random. I can't really blame him for not coping with responsibilities he was never really expected to have. I would have no issues with him as a 2nd choice - even if Pochettino is a bit stupid when it comes to full back - they usually play every other game regardless when both alternatives are fit.

What is so surprising with his mistakes is that he always seems fairly intelligent in interviews. He is quite well spoken for a football player (bar is not high). He also seems to be quite disciplined. His mistakes are not down to laziness or lack of attention (the latter being quite typical for Aurier). If he was younger I would have expected them to disappear as he got more and more experience, but obviously that is not likely as he is closing in on 30.

The last game in October wasn't terribly one sided between Spurs and City, but good old Trippier made a huge mistake so 0-1 after 5 mins.... two premier league meetings before that City completely out-classed Spurs. I expect more of the same even if Spurs are quite decent when fit and confident. Haven't seen much of that this season though. Beat Chelsea, but other than that they have rarely played well against good teams. BVB is a good team, but not at the time Spurs played them. Barcelona obviously are very good, and I think Spurs did very well in the away leg, but clearly Barcelona didn't care much.

Reactions: GB and Stray Wasp

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Digne is not a bad comparison. And yes - I believe Digne is faster, but even if Trippier isn't especially fast he moves around decently enough. I don't know Digne nearly as well as I know Trippier, but I have watched him quite often as well. To me it feels like Digne has some untapped potential while Trippier probably peaked during the WC. He also has had decent spells at Spurs, but he has never been consistently good. And lately he has been close to a disaster. So bad in fact he suddenly was dropped from the squad due to "low energy" (which makes sense - he has seemed completely lost).

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Have no idea where to put this, but I just watched Liverpool legends play Milan legends. First of all these games should be a bigger deal, but secondly if I said that didn’t bring back memories I’d be a liar. The only big guys who didn’t play that could have were Alonso and Maldini. Sheva, as you may know, is a little busy.

Gerrard won the game with a goal from outside the box, a sight seen many times before, but never before did it make me sad until today.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Why should they be a bigger deal?

Personally I find them terribly boring unless Jay-Jay Okocha is playing.

Reactions: Cassano

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Why should they be a bigger deal?

Personally I find them terribly boring unless Jay-Jay Okocha is playing.
I feel like you have to have been watching the players when they were playing and it has to be your team’s legends playing otherwise it really isn’t entertaining.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I feel like you have to have been watching the players when they were playing and it has to be your team’s legends playing otherwise it really isn’t entertaining.

It's also entirely dependent on how good the players were when they were in their pomp. As you said, the memories of the players in their prime are what shine through.

The Milan team had Dida, Serginho, Cafu, Costacurta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Kaka, Rui Costa, and Inzaghi. So it wasn't just some bum Milan team and there are obviously a lot of memories of that team. One of the reasons they should be a bigger deal is because all proceeds go to charity in a sport that has increasingly lost touch with society.

Reactions: gary69 and Gecklund

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
It's also entirely dependent on how good the players were when they were in their pomp. As you said, the memories of the players in their prime are what shine through.

Back in 2013 I saw Steve Harper's testimonial featuring Newcastle United and Milan legend teams playing against each other. Maldini was quiet, but Franco Baresi showed hints of why his ability to play out from the back was so revered. Having only watched him on TV during his heyday, even a flash of the real Baresi was exciting to witness.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Have no idea where to put this, but I just watched Liverpool legends play Milan legends. First of all these games should be a bigger deal, but secondly if I said that didn’t bring back memories I’d be a liar. The only big guys who didn’t play that could have were Alonso and Maldini. Sheva, as you may know, is a little busy.

Gerrard won the game with a goal from outside the box, a sight seen many times before, but never before did it make me sad until today.

It did seem like a full stadium, at least. I thought Daniel Agger was still playing somewhere. Some of the players looked like they could still play at decent level. Pirlo's passing was joy to behold as ever, with a nice free kick goal to boot. Whereas some others were struggling more, especially the ones for whom speed had been an important assent in their prime (like Kaka). Some where just unfit (Fowler looked more likely to have an heart attack than score, but luckily he did the latter) or just too old even for a match like this (Costacurta & The Mayor of Tbilisi were so, so slow). Too bad were didn't see Inzaghi dive ;), at least he tried to score a scissors kick goal.

So while these aren't the real deal and lack some of the competitive and physical aspects of the game, they can still be entertaining events, if you know the players and have seen them in the past in their prime.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Why is it absolutely despicable? Genuinely curious; as far as I understand it it's not like Cardiff is taking money away from Sala's family. So it becomes whether or not the transfer was finalized (which Cardiff is obviously going to argue that it wasn't at the time). At the end of the day a player (and pilot) is dead and that is the terrible part; whether Cardiff or Nantes are missing out on his services really just means they're both arguing over money.

Unless of course Nantes is planning on giving this money to Sala's family and Cardiff wouldn't.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Nantes sold them their player, Cardiff stuck him on a rickety plane in their rush to get him there, tragedy ensues and now they're trying to use shaky legal arguments to get out of their obligations. I don't really know what there is to explain honestly...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad