Premier League 2018-2019 Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Not an inter fan but the whole point of a trophy win is to win after the game is played not in a ticker, a news report, or on goggle search engine. I personally wouldn't consider it a win at all.

I fully agree with you, but given the existence of a precedent I am curious as to how they view it in relation to their other titles.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Why call it North London Stadium? Seems redundant to me. If it is not going to be "Nike/Sponsor Stadium" it quite clearly will only be called White Hart Lane among the fans (which I hope it will in any case, but...).

Would love it if it is true though. Much better it being White Hart Lane than Nike Stadium (assuming Nike for some strange reason are willing to pay the same amount sponsoring the name - which would be very odd).

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
There is some desire to mark their London territory for what it's worth. With so many clubs, they want to declare what areas they're in, and where they're from. It's quite hard with the EPL being so massive, and locality changing up a bit, but I can see the desire to stake their claim.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Could be I guess. I can't think of a better explanation myself. Completely irrelevant for any knowledgeable fan, but I guess making yourself attractive to casual followers from NA and Asia is important these days.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
The fact is that new stadia do not really keep their names if they are rebuilt and renamed. Maybe for a while and among some, but not across the board. If I think about iconic hockey arenas this has definitely not been the case, though of course in North America it is much easier to pave over tradition with corporate booklicking. As for North London Stadium, it is a clear claim to Actually represent North London even though there happens to be another major team from there too, which... I totally understand, really. There is a much bigger team in the same neighbourhood as my team and whenever anyone talks about them being from here I scoff because from my perspective there's only one local team and the other one just happens to have their ugly monstrosity here.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
How often will the new one be built on the exact same place as the old? I think that is pretty unique - which is why I believe the name will be WHL if for some reason it doesn't become something like Nike Stadium. I certainly won't ever call it North London Stadium.

If pundits etc are then instructed to call it NLS I could see that sticking with time - certainly among the younger fans that never knew WHL.

Pretty sure no-one will ever use the full name at least NLS WHL :D

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It looks spectacular. Love how close the first row is to the pitch. Love the colour. And hopefully it retains sound as well as it is supposed to - if so this will be something special in terms of match day experience (unfortunately Spurs haven't got the best fans in the world when it comes to singing, but when it gets going it can still be very very good).

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I don't have any particular affinity for Tottenham, but I definitely appreciate the ship Daniel Levy runs and the way he's built that club. Good on him.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The timing on this is a little strange, no? I mean I know they made promises to people in the financial/management world - outside of the actual games.

But you're going to adapt on the fly to an entirely new arena and pitch in April, 3 points ahead of 5th and still to play the Champs League QF?

You get one match vs Crystal Palace before City comes into your new home to play a CL match? Seems kinda of crazy.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Don’t know where to put this but Moyes just did an interview saying that he wanted to play the United way while there. He said 7 months wasn’t enough and that Toni Kroos agreed to join and then LVG cancelled the deal. Also Cesc Fabregas was close to joining. Honestly wouldn’t have liked either of these signings because then we wouldn’t have gotten Pogba/Matic/Herrera.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
The timing on this is a little strange, no? I mean I know they made promises to people in the financial/management world - outside of the actual games.

But you're going to adapt on the fly to an entirely new arena and pitch in April, 3 points ahead of 5th and still to play the Champs League QF?

You get one match vs Crystal Palace before City comes into your new home to play a CL match? Seems kinda of crazy.

Absolutely, but at this point anything is better than Wembley.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Evaluating Mohamed Salah | StatsBomb

So this is pretty interesting. I think it shows that teams have adjusted to Salah and have basically taken away his biggest weapon (cutting onto his left from the right) and forced him to try and adjust. Right now he seems to be dealing with it worse and worse (seems like now he's trying to do a Robben where he shoots from further out, but just doesn't have the same quality of shot). Will be interesting to see going forward if he can adapt to the way other teams are defending him. This is also why I thought that Mane would be as good or better in the long run because he's much more dynamic when he's playing at his best (and in general offensively, his "two way" game is also much better); teams before were just scrambling to handle Salah's explosive acceleration and close control but for the most part he's a very straightforward player. I hope they can work on his mental game and he gets a bit more creative so he doesn't get stuck in a rut and continue to lose confidence; he has all the talent and physical ability to be at least as good as his early/mid season form.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
It looks spectacular. Love how close the first row is to the pitch. Love the colour. And hopefully it retains sound as well as it is supposed to - if so this will be something special in terms of match day experience (unfortunately Spurs haven't got the best fans in the world when it comes to singing, but when it gets going it can still be very very good).

A Spurs season ticket holder I worked with was allowed a preview tour of the new pile, and the pictures he showed me were magnificent. It has the makings of a world-class venue.

Reactions: Havre

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Never forget.

I used to watch all the Fulham games I could get my hands on due to the USMNT connection. I remember this game well. I was in Ireland for this one. Hungover as hell after the Paddys day day in Dublin. Great game.

Gonna see if I can find this whole match on youtube actually.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
FML; because Wolves game was postponed due to Europa and due to the international break, Arsenal's next game isn't until April 1st. WTF?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad