Preds lines for next season right now

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
If we do not sign any of our ufa’s our current lineup would be as follows I feel (best lineup with current players under contract)

Forsberg O’Reilly Nyquist

Parssinen Novak Evangelista

Afanasyev Sissons Glass

Smith McCarron Jankowski

Tomasino

Josi Fabbro

Lauzon Schenn

Stastney Del Gaizo

Livingstone

Saros

Askarov

I think with one solid top six addition the offense actually looks decent. The goaltending is astronomical and that’ll change but that defense minus McDonagh is weeeeeeeeak!!
We will have a ton of cap space that’s for sure. Not sure exactly but lots. Like lots.
I feel like we gotta be in on at least one high end dman. A good top pair RD to bump Fabbro down like pesce is fine by me!

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
With the cap space we have it's not going to look like that. Trotz will sign someone even if it's just a project guy like Poile used to do.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
With the cap space we have it's not going to look like that. Trotz will sign someone even if it's just a project guy like Poile used to do.
Yes this is exactly my question. This is just what the lines look like now without free agency, draft or trades this offseason.

Where do we need the most work? I say defense big time. Who stays in the lineup and who doesn’t?
I personally think Afanasyev deserves a shot this season and hope he stays. We shall see though. Lauzon and Schenn are not top 4 guys that’s for sure as well. Especially Schenn…

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yes this is exactly my question. This is just what the lines look like now without free agency, draft or trades this offseason.

Where do we need the most work? I say defense big time. Who stays in the lineup and who doesn’t?
I personally think Afanasyev deserves a shot this season and hope he stays. We shall see though. Lauzon and Schenn are not top 4 guys that’s for sure as well. Especially Schenn…
You need " work " based on what the expectation is. If the goal is the playoffs then you need help everywhere minus goalie. If the goal is to have the team get better long term with a mix of UFA and kids, then it looks completely different.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Livingstone definitely isn't in the running to be on the team. He isn't even playing for the Ads in the playoffs now. I think it's pretty likely the Preds will bring Carrier back also. I'm not a big fan of his, but it sure seems like the organization likes him. And they play him like a top-4 guy, his utilization level argues for something like a 4x$4M contract, even though I'd rather just let him walk myself.

Anyway, if I was building a default lineup with the bodies on hand, it would be as below. I think that's a fairly abysmal lineup, though. The 2nd line won't work, the defense will get killed. On the bright side we'd have $16M for upgrades. I think we need to add at least 2 forwards, and at least 1 more D - I would prefer to let Carrier go and add 2 more D. And in doing so, it'd be guys like Glass, Tomasino, Fabbro likely kicked to the curb when the new arrivals slot in, in all likelihood, even if there are others I'd rather replace.

2024-25 Nashville Predators

Forsberg ($8.5M) - O'Reilly ($4.5M) - Nyquist ($3.185M)
Novak ($3.5M) - Glass ($2.5M) - Evangelista ($0.7975M)
L'Heureux ($0.8633M) - Parssinen (RFA - $0.775M) - Tomasino (RFA - $0.775M)
Afanseyev (RFA - $0.775M) - Sissons ($2.857M) - Smith ($1M)
McCarron ($0.900M) - Jankowski ($0.900M)

Josi ($9.059M) - Fabbro ($2.5M)
Lauzon ($2M) - Carrier (UFA - $4M)
Stastney (RFA - $0.775M) - Schenn ($2.75M)
Del Gaizo (RFA - $0.775M)

Saros ($5M)
Askarov ($0.925M)

Ekholm retention: $0.250M
Johansen retention: $4M
Turris Buyout: $2M
Duchene Buyout: $5.5556M

TOTAL: $71.41743M
2024-25 NHL Cap: $87.7M
REMAINING CAP SPACE: $16.28257M

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Then if I was going to tweak things with free agent signings, I'd look at something like below. And I'm intentionally avoiding making assumptions about us being able to get any of the really big UFAs (Stamkos, Reinhart, Guentzel, Skjei) even though I'd happily kick the tires on anybody. Now since this is my lineup, I'm letting Carrier walk, letting somebody claim Glass on waivers, and assuming Tomasino gets traded for a 5th round pick or whatever. I'll still keep Fabbro around since we're a bit light on natural RD here.

So I've signed:

Jason Zucker 3x$3M
Jonathan Marchessault 4x$6M
Brett Pesce - 6x$6M
Nikita Zadorov - 6x$6M

... I'm not too particular on the specific players signed, I'm just saying it would be nice to add a couple of at least "decent" top-9 forwards who play with some consistent urgency, and two actually good defensive D. There are several other names on the FA list in these categories who could be substituted. But again, I'm not assuming we win any "free agent sweepstakes" on the biggest names, nor making big splashes with trades. We should still pursue those things - I'm just saying the "Bare Minimum" default need for me is to upgrade along these types of additions. Free agents are pricey in terms of $$$/Cap, unfortunately. But don't cost any futures assets. I just think we need this "Bare Minimum" level to at least tread water while our younger players and prospects continue to progress.

Zucker (UFA - $3M) - Novak ($3.5M) - Evangelista ($0.7975M)
L'Heureux ($0.8633M) - Parssinen (RFA - $0.775M) - Marchessault (UFA - $6M)
McCarron ($0.900M) OR Jankowski ($0.900M)

Josi ($9.059M) - Pesce (UFA - $6M)
Stastney (RFA - $0.775M) - Zadorov (UFA - $6M)
Lauzon ($2M) - Fabbro ($2.5M)
Del Gaizo (RFA - $0.775M) - Schenn ($2.75M)

Saros ($5M)
Askarov ($0.925M)

TOTAL: $84.2424M
REMAINING CAP SPACE: $3.4576M

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro

Afanasyev will be up or we’ll lose like we did with tolvanen I believe. Same with tomasino

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Then if I was going to tweak things with free agent signings, I'd look at something like below. And I'm intentionally avoiding making assumptions about us being able to get any of the really big UFAs (Stamkos, Reinhart, Guentzel, Skjei) even though I'd happily kick the tires on anybody. Now since this is my lineup, I'm letting Carrier walk, letting somebody claim Glass on waivers, and assuming Tomasino gets traded for a 5th round pick or whatever. I'll still keep Fabbro around since we're a bit light on natural RD here.

So I've signed:

Jason Zucker 3x$3M
Jonathan Marchessault 4x$6M
Brett Pesce - 6x$6M
Nikita Zadorov - 6x$6M

... I'm not too particular on the specific players signed, I'm just saying it would be nice to add a couple of at least "decent" top-9 forwards who play with some consistent urgency, and two actually good defensive D. There are several other names on the FA list in these categories who could be substituted. But again, I'm not assuming we win any "free agent sweepstakes" on the biggest names, nor making big splashes with trades. We should still pursue those things - I'm just saying the "Bare Minimum" default need for me is to upgrade along these types of additions. Free agents are pricey in terms of $$$/Cap, unfortunately. But don't cost any futures assets. I just think we need this "Bare Minimum" level to at least tread water while our younger players and prospects continue to progress.

Zucker (UFA - $3M) - Novak ($3.5M) - Evangelista ($0.7975M)
L'Heureux ($0.8633M) - Parssinen (RFA - $0.775M) - Marchessault (UFA - $6M)
McCarron ($0.900M) OR Jankowski ($0.900M)

Josi ($9.059M) - Pesce (UFA - $6M)
Stastney (RFA - $0.775M) - Zadorov (UFA - $6M)
Lauzon ($2M) - Fabbro ($2.5M)
Del Gaizo (RFA - $0.775M) - Schenn ($2.75M)

Saros ($5M)
Askarov ($0.925M)

TOTAL: $84.2424M
REMAINING CAP SPACE: $3.4576M
If we sign marchessault then he’ll be in our top 6. I like what you have on our defense though. That’s a solid defense in my opinion one of the top defenses in the league. If tomasino isn’t traded he’ll have a spots as well. If it was up to me I wouldn’t sign zucker and upgrade him with the 6.5 million we have instead of giving him 3. Maybe a guy like tarasenko if possible. We need secondary scoring. I think with the defense you have you can look to get more offense out of you forwards and zucker has only 1 20 goal season in the last 6 years and has missed a lot of games in those 6 years. On another note I like to see what we see from molendyk in camp. If it’s true that brunette wanted to keep him up this year then maybe he cracks the line up. Who knows what we’ll do but we have plenty options to make this team a lot better than last year

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If we sign marchessault then he’ll be in our top 6. I like what you have on our defense though. That’s a solid defense in my opinion one of the top defenses in the league. If tomasino isn’t traded he’ll have a spots as well. If it was up to me I wouldn’t sign zucker and upgrade him with the 6.5 million we have instead of giving him 3. Maybe a guy like tarasenko if possible. We need secondary scoring. I think with the defense you have you can look to get more offense out of you forwards and zucker has only 1 20 goal season in the last 6 years and has missed a lot of games in those 6 years. On another note I like to see what we see from molendyk in camp. If it’s true that brunette wanted to keep him up this year then maybe he cracks the line up. Who knows what we’ll do but we have plenty options to make this team a lot better than last year
To me the 2nd/3rd lines I suggested are interchangeable. I just wanted a veteran-ish player on each line (Zucker/Marchessault). And I do still really like Parssinen as a center, even though I'm not sure the Preds braintrust does.

I like the idea of getting a better player than Zucker, I just don't know how much $$$/term the better guys will cost. There are finishers like Tarasenko and Toffoli who are candidates, but to me they really don't play with a lot of pace/urgency to their games?... I'm not sure if a 15-20 guy like Zucker or a 20-25 guy like they could be here (given the lines they'd be on) would be worth the extra premium we'd pay? It might be only 5-10 goals difference... but a big difference in terms of "hustle"? And an even bigger difference on $$$/term of the contracts?

I think if we added 2 D, then the smart money is just on returning Molendyk to junior. That's if the goal is to truly replicate the 99-pt type season and make the playoffs. If we can't sign 2 D, and if we really don't care about making the playoffs, then accelerating Molendyk would be interesting. I feel like maybe the "Brunette wanted to keep him" narrative is a bit overstated around here; you don't keep 18-year old (or 19-year old) defensemen who have junior eligibility - outside of some nearly generational level talents. And as nice as Molendyk is looking, I think it's a huge stretch to really jump on board that narrative bandwagon... that's some classic HFBoards prospect overhype to me. He is looking like a really great pick - one which surprised us at the time - but... let's not get TOOOOO carried away here? :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
To me the 2nd/3rd lines I suggested are interchangeable. I just wanted a veteran-ish player on each line (Zucker/Marchessault). And I do still really like Parssinen as a center, even though I'm not sure the Preds braintrust does.

I like the idea of getting a better player than Zucker, I just don't know how much $$$/term the better guys will cost. There are finishers like Tarasenko and Toffoli who are candidates, but to me they really don't play with a lot of pace/urgency to their games?... I'm not sure if a 15-20 guy like Zucker or a 20-25 guy like they could be here (given the lines they'd be on) would be worth the extra premium we'd pay? It might be only 5-10 goals difference... but a big difference in terms of "hustle"? And an even bigger difference on $$$/term of the contracts?

I think if we added 2 D, then the smart money is just on returning Molendyk to junior. That's if the goal is to truly replicate the 99-pt type season and make the playoffs. If we can't sign 2 D, and if we really don't care about making the playoffs, then accelerating Molendyk would be interesting. I feel like maybe the "Brunette wanted to keep him" narrative is a bit overstated around here; you don't keep 18-year old (or 19-year old) defensemen who have junior eligibility - outside of some nearly generational level talents. And as nice as Molendyk is looking, I think it's a huge stretch to really jump on board that narrative bandwagon... that's some classic HFBoards prospect overhype to me. He is looking like a really great pick - one which surprised us at the time - but... let's not get TOOOOO carried away here? :dunno:
How can you overstate something that was said by the GM himself? It's not like it was some narrative that was created by the fan base :huh:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
How can you overstate something that was said by the GM himself? It's not like it was some narrative that was created by the fan base :huh:
Part of their mandate is to send guys back with encouragement and some motivation to keep working.

Tell me all the defensemen from last year's draft who are in the NHL right now?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Part of their mandate is to send guys back with encouragement and some motivation to keep working.

Tell me all the defensemen from last year's draft who are in the NHL right now?
Girard came in and played a full season in 17-18 after being drafted in 2016. Molendyk's play and maturity remind me alot of Girard. I don't think it would be about of the question that they hold onto him for atleast a couple games as I don't think he is gonna get a whole lot out of destroying the WHL some more.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Doesn't mean it's not possible, I give you Girard.
That’s who I was gonna bring up. I just wish this organization would give our young players more chances early to succeed in the nhl. While I see young players around the league succeeding we constantly leave most of our young players in the ahl till they’re not wavier exempt. I’d like to give younger players more of a chance

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Girard came in and played a full season in 17-18 after being drafted in 2016. Molendyk's play and maturity remind me alot of Girard. I don't think it would be about of the question that they hold onto him for atleast a couple games as I don't think he is gonna get a whole lot out of destroying the WHL some more.
I have made some teams in arm chair gm that has him making the team. If we can get a good defensive defenseman like pecse or zadarov so he can focus more on his offensive game it would do him a lot of good in my opinion

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I have made some teams in arm chair gm that has him making the team. If we can get a good defensive defenseman like pecse or zadarov so he can focus more on his offensive game it would do him a lot of good in my opinion
I feel like at least 2 defensemen are needed. I’m personally hoping for Skjei and Pesce so we can have:

Josi Pesce
Skjei Fabbro

Instead of the current top 4:

Josi Fabbro
Lauzon Schenn

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Doesn't mean it's not possible, I give you Girard.
Nobody said it's "impossible"... Girard making it as a 19-year old was also highly unlikely and unexpected. He didn't make it at 18. Others have done it at 18 or 19 also. It will come as a similar level of rarity/surprise if Molendyk makes it now at 19 after not making it at 18. Go post on the main boards and find out how many people are thinking he might be in the NHL next season. It won't be many. Folks aren't talking him up as that kind of prospect anywhere. Again, doesn't make it "impossible"... but I'm not sketching him into my default lineup plans based on that extremely thin possibility.

I was thinking I could add to this also: it's reasonable to wonder whether that early start for Girard actually helped him or not? His career seems to have floundered somewhat for the past several seasons. And also, since I'm sure Poile was shopping aggressively for a center throughout that whole off-season, how much of a part Girard's NHL start might have been related to the potential to include him in that trade. His name surely would have been involved in discussions even before training camp started.

Last edited:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I feel like at least 2 defensemen are needed. I’m personally hoping for Skjei and Pesce so we can have:

Josi Pesce
Skjei Fabbro

Instead of the current top 4:

Josi Fabbro
Lauzon Schenn
I think Pesce would be a stable partner for Josi. At this point, I think theyd probably put Stastney in offhand with lauzon as a Carrier replacement and that would leave Moldenyk or Del Gaizo to pair up with Schenn. I've already let go of Fabbro in my mind but if he is around still things would change.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Nobody said it's "impossible"... Girard making it as a 19-year old was also highly unlikely and unexpected. He didn't make it at 18. Others have done it at 18 or 19 also. It will come as a similar level of rarity/surprise if Molendyk makes it now at 19 after not making it at 18. Go post on the main boards and find out how many people are thinking he might be in the NHL next season. It won't be many. Folks aren't talking him up as that kind of prospect anywhere. Again, doesn't make it "impossible"... but I'm not sketching him into my default lineup plans based on that extremely thin possibility.

I was thinking I could add to this also: it's reasonable to wonder whether that early start for Girard actually helped him or not? His career seems to have floundered somewhat for the past several seasons. And also, since I'm sure Poile was shopping aggressively for a center throughout that whole off-season, how much of a part Girard's NHL start might have been related to the potential to include him in that trade. His name surely would have been involved in discussions even before training camp started.
Most of Girard' issues are due to being small and having injury issues. No amount of time in the AHL is going to make a guy grow.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Most of Girard' issues are due to being small and having injury issues. No amount of time in the AHL is going to make a guy grow.
Ok, so Molendyk is also small, btw. Is it usually a good idea to put a smaller teenager onto an NHL defense, or is it a risk he might get hurt? It's not even about time in the AHL in their cases, they were both only eligible for junior hockey if they weren't in the NHL.

I like what I've seen of Molendyk so far, he's the best D prospect we've had in a very long time, and I'm very hopeful/expectant that he'll be in our top 4 one day. But I'm not expecting him to be in the NHL at 19, nor do I expect Barry Trotz to accelerate him into that spot, despite any glowing words of praise in press conferences, that's all. He'll be captain in Saskatoon next year, play in the World Juniors, those are going to be important next steps in his development.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Where is the pipedream line with Stamkos and Marner?
I’m honestly not against stamkos signing at all. He’s old but so is Josi, oreilly and Nyquist. He’d actually fit in well here. He’s got a few good years left at least.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Stamkos on a 3 year contract (maybe 4) wouldnt be bad at all. He may be old but he is still operating at a very high level and his health over the past 3 seasons has been good. Not like we have a C/LW that can overtake him right now. Also with Nyquist contract falling off next offseason, thatd open a spot for Evangelista to move up at RW then maybe kemell to come up from the AHL if he is ready.

Novak Stamkos Evangelista could have alot of offensive flair.

Pop L'Heureux into the 3rd line if he is ready with Parssinen and Tomasino (if around) or Glass and you could have a hearty 3rd line. Sissons can anchor the 4th with smith/Jankowski/McCarron

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Stamkos on a 3 year contract (maybe 4) wouldnt be bad at all. He may be old but he is still operating at a very high level and his health over the past 3 seasons has been good. Not like we have a C/LW that can overtake him right now. Also with Nyquist contract falling off next offseason, thatd open a spot for Evangelista to move up at RW then maybe kemell to come up from the AHL if he is ready.

Novak Stamkos Evangelista could have alot of offensive flair.

Pop L'Heureux into the 3rd line if he is ready with Parssinen and Tomasino (if around) or Glass and you could have a hearty 3rd line. Sissons can anchor the 4th with smith/Jankowski/McCarron
Oh, I would pay Stamkos lots and lots, like 5x$8M to come here. But I don't think he would take it. He'll get that from TB anyway. Which is where he wants to be. I don't think it's going to be about money for him. He has made over $100M in his career already. He has won Stanley Cups. He is the Captain in TB. He is going to stay there, even if he took less money.

Reactions: Armourboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad