Preds lines for next season right now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I'd personally pay more for Tkachuk. Less concern that he would perform here. A skillset made for the playoffs. Lower cap hit with certainty for 4 seasons. All those things have value.

Teams are willing to pay alot for the the size and style of play that Tkachuk represents. Heck jeannot got a haul and is a fraction of the player Tkachuk is. Huberdeau was added to Weegar, Schwindt, and a 1st to get Matt Tkachuk. Huberdeau was on the last year of his contract and coming off a 115 pt season. Actually the 4 seasons leading up to the trade huberdeau has 103G 243A 346P in 286 games. Marner's past 4 seasons he has 111G 237A 348P in 276 games. That's pretty much an identical rate. Marner will be 2 years younger than Huberdeau was traded if marner is traded this offseason. Huberdeau's caphit at time of trade was about 5 million less than Marner's is now. Huberdeau had an 8 team no trade list compared to Marner's full NMC.

Anyways, just goes to show you what extra teams are willing to pay for that style of play that the Tkachuks represent.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
As for the tkachuk>>>>>marner comments I would say as an example. Look at Matt Tkachuks stats in Calgary. Then look at Huberdeaus.

Brady can do it on his own and is a big frame built for playoff hockey. He’s tough and is a leader. He’s as talented as marner but with many more intangibles. Age being a big one too.
I think it's just when folks read a ">>>>>" it is taken literally as "much much much much much" better than. Like, Josi >>>>> Barrie. But two star players like Tkachuk and Marner, it doesn't really warrant any extra ">"s and they just come off as exaggeration? Anyway, it didn't bother me, because I assumed you were just exaggerating for emphasis. I like Tkachuk more than Marner, but I would suggest writing just "Tkachuk > Marner". :dunno:

But then where I balk also is the acquisition cost, because Tkachuk has the better contract situation, plus even less incentive for his team to trade him, so I don't think there's any room whatsoever for finding a "relatively painless" way to acquire him. We'd have to pay such a high price it would likely hurt us too much to go through with it. Our team isn't good enough or deep enough yet to be able to afford to part with that many assets, nor do we have any truly bluechip star prospects, so I think even our "painful" bid might be rated lower than what some other interested teams could put together too.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
As for the tkachuk>>>>>marner comments I would say as an example. Look at Matt Tkachuks stats in Calgary. Then look at Huberdeaus.
I don't find comparing two different players a particularly compelling argument.
Brady can do it on his own and is a big frame built for playoff hockey. He’s tough and is a leader. He’s as talented as marner but with many more intangibles. Age being a big one too.
I'd imagine Tkachuk would be a good playoff player but the fact of the matter is he hasn't made it there in his career. If we're going to penalize Marner for his teams playoff performances despite him personally being generally good than why doesn't Tkachuk get penalized for not being able to lead his team to the playoffs? Given the quality of the bubble teams in the Eastern conference Ottawa had a great shot at the playoffs and weren't even close. That obviously doesn't all fall entirely on Tkachuk but neither do Toronto's failures fall on Marner.

To be clear I like both players but I feel like Tkachuk is being way overhyped because of what his brother did and Marner is being way undersold because of the overall failures of Toronto. Acquisition cost being equal you easily take Tkachuk but I don't think that is the reality in this case.

Reactions: wmupreds

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Ottawa isn't going to let Tkachuk go for less than an absolute haul I think. Marner may be available on the "cheap" relatively speaking which I think is why he may be the better way to go.

Reactions: Scoresberg

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I don't find comparing two different players a particularly compelling argument.

I'd imagine Tkachuk would be a good playoff player but the fact of the matter is he hasn't made it there in his career. If we're going to penalize Marner for his teams playoff performances despite him personally being generally good than why doesn't Tkachuk get penalized for not being able to lead his team to the playoffs? Given the quality of the bubble teams in the Eastern conference Ottawa had a great shot at the playoffs and weren't even close. That obviously doesn't all fall entirely on Tkachuk but neither do Toronto's failures fall on Marner.

To be clear I like both players but I feel like Tkachuk is being way overhyped because of what his brother did and Marner is being way undersold because of the overall failures of Toronto. Acquisition cost being equal you easily take Tkachuk but I don't think that is the reality in this case.
The main thing in the comparison is because a big frame player with skillset like the tkachuks have just shows how they can do it on their own. Huberdeau isn’t putting up 115 point seasons in Calgary is he?
Marner has never played without the leagues best goal scorer.
This scares me given our track record with these type of acquisitions…
Tkachuk is gonna be good anywhere he goes. Maybe marner too but marner could easily be a 65-70 point guy here as well.

Brady is younger, contract situation much better, he’s that big playoff type you need to win with, he can kill it without Matthews, but if sounds like Ottawa isn’t gonna move him anyways and I’m more then happy to give marner a go if we get him. I just think Brady would be such a better option but also much make costly.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
The main thing in the comparison is because a big frame player with skillset like the tkachuks have just shows how they can do it on their own. Huberdeau isn’t putting up 115 point seasons in Calgary is he?
Marner has never played without the leagues best goal scorer.
This scares me given our track record with these type of acquisitions…
Tkachuk is gonna be good anywhere he goes. Maybe marner too but marner could easily be a 65-70 point guy here as well.

Brady is younger, contract situation much better, he’s that big playoff type you need to win with, he can kill it without Matthews, but if sounds like Ottawa isn’t gonna move him anyways and I’m more then happy to give marner a go if we get him. I just think Brady would be such a better option but also much make costly.
I just don't really get the comparison between Huberdeau and Marner other than superficially so I don't find anything relating to Huberdeau a compelling point. FWIW Marner played without Matthews early in his career and put up great numbers (granted he was with Tavares instead). The reality is that both Marner and Matthews have benefited from playing with each other. We also have a really great goal scorer on our team in Forsberg that Marner would likely elevate too. Marner has four straight seasons over 1.2 points per game and six straight seasons over 1.1 point per game. Tkachuk wasn't even over 1 point per game this year. I get the linemate argument but that is a pretty significant difference no matter how you slice it.

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I just don't really get the comparison between Huberdeau and Marner other than superficially so I don't find anything relating to Huberdeau a compelling point. FWIW Marner played without Matthews early in his career and put up great numbers (granted he was with Tavares instead). The reality is that both Marner and Matthews have benefited from playing with each other. We also have a really great goal scorer on our team in Forsberg that Marner would likely elevate too. Marner has four straight seasons over 1.2 points per game and six straight seasons over 1.1 point per game. Tkachuk wasn't even over 1 point per game this year. I get the linemate argument but that is a pretty significant difference no matter how you slice it.
I am on board bringing in marner. He’s gonna cost less, he’s still a complete stud, and hopefully he would sign here long term. I just hope he does as well with an old ROR as his centre and not one of the leagues premier centres… I do agree Forsberg gets more goals with him on the team without a doubt.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

If Marner is actually traded it's because of the cap, not his playoff performance. That's just the "reason" fans except it.

Reactions: PREDy 4 the Cup

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
...so we are getting Marner and Tkachuk right??
That's what I'm hearing. I don't think we have a goalie or Evangelista anymore after these two trades. Have to waive Glass, and I'm upgrading Carrier to Pesce too. Novak doesn't mind...

Your 2024-25 Nashville Predators

Forsberg ($8.5M) - O'Reilly ($4.5M) - Nyquist ($3.185M)
Tkachuk ($8.205M) - Novak ($3.5M) - Marner ($10.903M)
L'Heureux ($0.8633M) - Parssinen (RFA - $0.775M) - Tomasino (RFA - $0.775M)
Afanseyev (RFA - $0.775M) - Sissons ($2.857M) - Smith ($1M)
McCarron ($0.900M) - Jankowski ($0.900M)

Josi ($9.059M) - Pesce (UFA - $6M)
Lauzon ($2M) - Fabbro ($2.5M)
Stastney (RFA - $0.775M) - Schenn ($2.75M)
Del Gaizo (RFA - $0.775M)

Lankinen (UFA - $2M)
Grosenick (UFA - $0.775M)

Ekholm retention: $0.250M
Johansen retention: $4M
Turris Buyout: $2M
Duchene Buyout: $5.5556M

TOTAL: $86.0779M
2024-25 NHL Cap: $87.7M
REMAINING CAP SPACE: $1.6221M

... there's actually enough money left over to find some other UFA goalie on the scrapheap...

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Are there any stats of Marner not with a fairly high level to elite center (not playing with Taveres or Matthews)? I know people crap on Tavares but he is still basically a 30G near point per game center which is better than anything we got here and Matthews is a level beyond that. Just curious how he performs away from those two.

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
That's what I'm hearing. I don't think we have a goalie or Evangelista anymore after these two trades. Have to waive Glass, and I'm upgrading Carrier to Pesce too. Novak doesn't mind...

Your 2024-25 Nashville Predators

Forsberg ($8.5M) - O'Reilly ($4.5M) - Nyquist ($3.185M)
Tkachuk ($8.205M) - Novak ($3.5M) - Marner ($10.903M)
L'Heureux ($0.8633M) - Parssinen (RFA - $0.775M) - Tomasino (RFA - $0.775M)
Afanseyev (RFA - $0.775M) - Sissons ($2.857M) - Smith ($1M)
McCarron ($0.900M) - Jankowski ($0.900M)

Josi ($9.059M) - Pesce (UFA - $6M)
Lauzon ($2M) - Fabbro ($2.5M)
Stastney (RFA - $0.775M) - Schenn ($2.75M)
Del Gaizo (RFA - $0.775M)

Lankinen (UFA - $2M)
Grosenick (UFA - $0.775M)

Ekholm retention: $0.250M
Johansen retention: $4M
Turris Buyout: $2M
Duchene Buyout: $5.5556M

TOTAL: $86.0779M
2024-25 NHL Cap: $87.7M
REMAINING CAP SPACE: $1.6221M

... there's actually enough money left over to find some other UFA goalie on the scrapheap...
Oh man I would love this!!
I feel like we are for sure going to get a top six guy and a top end defenseman or two. I mean I’ve been disappointed many many off seasons before lol, but this feels like it’s gonna happen, I sure hope in 1.5 months from now we have a much more vamped up roster than what we currently have here.

I think a Tkachuk trade could happen anytime if it does, but does not look like it will. With marner though it’s a waiting game until after July 1st when he gets his bonus. Preds don’t wanna pay that lol. I sure hope any deal made is a sign and trade as well.
Is it July yet?!?!

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I agree 100% about tomasino but Brunette doesn’t like him for some reason.

The 7th defenseman I could go either way.

Lankinen is ufa.
The Preds better sign Lanky because Askarov is not NHL ready. Grosenick looks ready based on his last game.

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
The Preds better sign Lanky because Askarov is not NHL ready. Grosenick looks ready based on his last game.
Are you joking? Lol
Grosenick looks NHL ready? You think he’s gonna get an NHL call up finally after 20 years in the minors??
Finally made it! Lol

Lankinen is not a head goalie either.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Grosenick will be 35 at start of next season. He is at retirement age for goalies.

Askarov's regular season was better than Grosenick's as well. Askarov may not be NHL ready but Grosenick's opportunity has already passed. There are no NHL starters available via free agency unless you want Talbot. Brossoit or Stolarz would be a high quality backup option. Samsanov, Nedeljkovic, Kahkonen would be placeholder starters and hope they bounce back. Trade options would include Merzlikins and Husso and hope they bounce back.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Grosenick will be 35 at start of next season. He is at retirement age for goalies.

Askarov's regular season was better than Grosenick's as well. Askarov may not be NHL ready but Grosenick's opportunity has already passed. There are no NHL starters available via free agency unless you want Talbot. Brossoit or Stolarz would be a high quality backup option. Samsanov, Nedeljkovic, Kahkonen would be placeholder starters and hope they bounce back. Trade options would include Merzlikins and Husso and hope they bounce back.
Yeah, I think we could easily pick up some "placeholder" goalie to split starts with Lankinen, if we wanted to go that route and had liquidated both Saros and Askarov. There are enough candidates out there to do that. It's not impossible we could "get by" while doing so. Some of those goalies were on playoff teams. I guess however there's a "next step" somewhere that most teams hope to take in goal, and we'd be back to Square One along with all those teams who are struggling to find a longterm goaltending answer. Whether the improvements we obtained elsewhere on the roster by switching into that group are worth it... :dunno:

I don't think we have to worry too much about that, though. It's not like Trotz is actually going to trade BOTH of Saros and Askarov as part of getting Tkachuk and Marner. That was just a joke.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Yeah, I think we could easily pick up some "placeholder" goalie to split starts with Lankinen, if we wanted to go that route and had liquidated both Saros and Askarov. There are enough candidates out there to do that. It's not impossible we could "get by" while doing so. Some of those goalies were on playoff teams. I guess however there's a "next step" somewhere that most teams hope to take in goal, and we'd be back to Square One along with all those teams who are struggling to find a longterm goaltending answer. Whether the improvements we obtained elsewhere on the roster by switching into that group are worth it... :dunno:

I don't think we have to worry too much about that, though. It's not like Trotz is actually going to trade BOTH of Saros and Askarov as part of getting Tkachuk and Marner. That was just a joke.

Kindof amazing that Edmonton has made it as far as they have with Skinner and Campbell. Campbell has been a train wreck and got sent to the AHL. Skinner's sv% in the playoffs is .885%. Florida's Bobrovsky is just .904%. Yet both teams are toe to toe with teams with far superior goaltending.

Strong goaltending helps and poor goaltending can be overcome by good goalscoring. Probably wouldn't be the end of the world if we traded Saros and ran with a Samsanov type goalie while Askarov gains experience and develops. I think we would probably still be good enough to keep us in playoff contention.

Would we win the cup with Samsanov? No. Would we win the cup with Saros? I dont think so unless we make meaningful roster upgrades.

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Kindof amazing that Edmonton has made it as far as they have with Skinner and Campbell. Campbell has been a train wreck and got sent to the AHL. Skinner's sv% in the playoffs is .885%. Florida's Bobrovsky is just .904%. Yet both teams are toe to toe with teams with far superior goaltending.

Strong goaltending helps and poor goaltending can be overcome by good goalscoring. Probably wouldn't be the end of the world if we traded Saros and ran with a Samsanov type goalie while Askarov gains experience and develops. I think we would probably still be good enough to keep us in playoff contention.

Would we win the cup with Samsanov? No. Would we win the cup with Saros? I dont think so unless we make meaningful roster upgrades.
Didn’t Vegas win with Aidan Hill?

Goalies get hot and cold. Anything can happen. But star forwards and defensemen don’t go in such ways of “luck” if you will.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Goalies get hot and cold. Anything can happen. But star forwards and defensemen don’t go in such ways of “luck” if you will.
Yep they won with Hill. Hill also played well in his 3 games this post season 1.70 GAA .931 sv% and still went 1-2-0 in those games. Only won with a shutout and lost the other two with 2GA and 3GA.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

Hmm, I wouldn't mind if Josi had been a little hotter in the last several playoffs for us. :skeptic:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Are you joking? Lol
Grosenick looks NHL ready? You think he’s gonna get an NHL call up finally after 20 years in the minors??
Finally made it! Lol

Lankinen is not a head goalie either.
Get used to Askarov having a SO then giving up 4 or 5 goals the next game. He has inconsistency issues. I think it is about 20% of the time. My wife thinks it is about 1/3 or 33%. I believe that the underlying cause is his relative inexperience. He needs another year in the AHL!

BTW, Troy played in 4 NHL games, 2 each with the Sharks and Kings.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

Lanky is 29. Nashville needs at least one more season out of him, maybe 2 or 3, if Saros is traded. Then Asky can take over.

Reactions: ShagDaddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad