Preds lines for next season right now

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Assuming the Stamkos-at-center experiment fails anyway. I'm assuming it does. But I'm also assuming the Preds coaches will at least try it.

Evangelista can eventually replace Nyquist, there is no rush for it to have to happen in the coming season however.

And I think folks do need to draw up their defense pairs as:
Skjei - Josi
Lauzon - Carrier
... at the top-4 anyway. :(
Yeh not thrilled thinking we are going back to the lazuon carrier pairing but it is likely inevitable. Skjei Josi should be able to command the ice though.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Assuming the Stamkos-at-center experiment fails anyway. I'm assuming it does. But I'm also assuming the Preds coaches will at least try it.

Evangelista can eventually replace Nyquist, there is no rush for it to have to happen in the coming season however.

And I think folks do need to draw up their defense pairs as:
Skjei - Josi
Lauzon - Carrier
... at the top-4 anyway. :(
I’m curious why you think a guy that played center for years will fail

Reactions: maplepred

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I’m curious why you think a guy that played center for years will fail
Because all the people who watched him closely the last few seasons state unequivocably that he can't play center anymore?

I mean, it's like if all the people here who watch every single Preds game are basically unanimously in accord about something... it's probably something I'd want to listen to as an outside observer?

That said, it does happen that a certain level of "groupthink" sets in, or that the player themselves is able to adjust or change up whatever it was that contributed to that prevailing opinion. So nothing is set in stone. But everything I've read from Tampa fans is that Stamkos has basically become a one-dimensional sniper on the wing, with a heavy specialization on the PP, that he can't (or chooses not to) skate at the level needed to play the center position anymore. Maybe he just got "comfortable" in TB and will get shaken out of that comfort zone in a new place? Anything is possible. But all the "scouting reports" I'm reading are that he's not able to be a center. Despite being pretty good on draws - which is a very tiny part of the job. He can still take those for Novak/Parssinen, then slide over, of course.

:dunno:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Why would anyone want Stammer to move back to center when he is much more productive on the wing. It makes no sense, he could play the center position again but you’re going to get 10 goals less over the course of the year.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Why would anyone want Stammer to move back to center when he is much more productive on the wing. It makes no sense, he could play the center position again but you’re going to get 10 goals less over the course of the year.
I mean, we're already going to get 10 goals less even with him on the wing here, right, since this is Nashville and our PP is not the same. If we got another 10 goals less on top of that...

Flip side, I guess it's also vs. what our other 2C candidates could bring to the table. I don't think any of Novak, Parssinen, or Glass are even a longshot threat to score 20 goals, right? It's not all about just the goals Stamkos himself scores. If he can defend, make plays, etc, any other stuff as a center better than they can, even if he just got 20-25 goals there, it's probably still more than the next-best alternative? :dunno:

• Haha
Reactions: Kat Predator

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I mean, we're already going to get 10 goals less even with him on the wing here, right, since this is Nashville and our PP is not the same. If we got another 10 goals less on top of that...

Flip side, I guess it's also vs. what our other 2C candidates could bring to the table. I don't think any of Novak, Parssinen, or Glass are even a longshot threat to score 20 goals, right? It's not all about just the goals Stamkos himself scores. If he can defend, make plays, etc, any other stuff as a center better than they can, even if he just got 20-25 goals there, it's probably still more than the next-best alternative? :dunno:
Idk having a couple extra 30-40G scoring wingers to play with on the PP is gonna be fun.

Forsberg - Stamkos - Marchessault - ROR - Josi and have a complete offensive overload

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

If he only has 20 to 25 goals there are going to be fans screaming at what waste of 8 mil in cap, you know that’s going to happen. I’m hoping one of the young centers can prove able to feed Stammer and Mark the puck. If the center only has 15 goals they could easily have 60 assists in my boom there is not one thing wrong with that.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Just by the nature of available icetime and PP opportunity at least some guys are going to have reduced numbers. In the end though all that really matters are how many games we're winning. In 17-18 we didn't have a 30 goal scorer but I much preferred that season to 21-22 when we had two 40 goal scorers.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

I'd say Novak has a shot at it, especially if he gets top 6 guys with him unlike what he had last season. Not saying he will but I don't think it would be that surprising if he did.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
If we can go from a 1 line team to 3 dangerous lines and a really solid 4th line, then ill consider it money well spent.
Well, I'm seeing the potential for 2 "somewhat dangerous" lines next season anyway. We still won't have a true superstar like McDavid/MacKinnon/Kucherov types who represent the big "danger" components out there? And then a mixed-bag 3rd line. And then a 4th line of tweeners and spare parts if it's Jankowski-McCarron-Smith types, which I'm not sure could qualify as "really solid", even if they all try pretty hard and aren't completely useless. :dunno:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I’m kinda like the Emma Lingan idea of top guy on each line:

Forsberg-O’Reilly-Nyquist
Stamkos-Novak-Evvangelista
Admiral du jour-Simmons-Marshy

Call it ‘relentless’ offense try and defend that!

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well, I'm seeing the potential for 2 "somewhat dangerous" lines next season anyway. We still won't have a true superstar like McDavid/MacKinnon/Kucherov types who represent the big "danger" components out there? And then a mixed-bag 3rd line. And then a 4th line of tweeners and spare parts if it's Jankowski-McCarron-Smith types, which I'm not sure could qualify as "really solid", even if they all try pretty hard and aren't completely useless. :dunno:
Every teams 4th line is spare parts, it's the one place you can save cap space and it not kill you. It's the reason every year come playoff time you hear about a 4th liner no one has ever heard of making an impact. Occasionally they will be old guys that have lost a step.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I know we've given up on Cody Glass collectively, but I actually like the completely random idea of him centering between a pair of veteran scoring wingers. I'd at least give him a shot and if it doesn't work out, well, we were going to get rid of him anyway. I think he checks more boxes, but he's brittle.

Parssinen would be a close second choice here. Nothing against him really, and I hope he gets a chance. Especially if Glass is sent on the chute out the door.

Not sure our coaches see either of them as centres though.

Novak is a winger that our coaches see as a centre. He's nifty in the offensive zone in the regular season, but he's a Dollar Store version of Jarnkrok in the playoffs. Not invisible. Nonexistent.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
People are selling way too low on Novak. He sucked in the playoffs. Name me three players that didn't suck?

On the flip side, you put Novak with Stamkos and Marchessault and all of a sudden the cerebral game he plays plus his passing accuracy should be a fun thing to watch. And if teams decide to try to shut down his wingers, he's got a lethal shot himself. The jump from Vange and Jank/Sherwood to these two is huge. It's not a knock on Vange but with Woody gone, Jank has no business being on the 2nd line, let alone an NHL team.

If for some reason, this second line doesn't work, I'd put two vets per line on the top 3 lines with a youngster in the other slot. Hopefully, build a ton of balanced scoring in the top 9 and then find some additional scoring from the 4th line.

I can see the two scenarios like this:
Fil/ROR/Gus
Stammer/Novak/March
Vange/Pars/Tomasino
Smith/Sissons/L'Hereaux

or

Fil/ROR/Tomasino
Stammer/Pars/Gus
Vange/Novak/March (this one doesn't get the 2 vets but Vange/Novak have played together enough for this to work)
Smith/Sissons/L'Hereaux

I'll not be surprised if L'Hereaux doesn't push for a 3rd line spot.

The other thing is, find 3 pairs of players that work well together and then supplement the line with that third player that has a complimentary skill set.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I know we've given up on Cody Glass collectively, but I actually like the completely random idea of him centering between a pair of veteran scoring wingers. I'd at least give him a shot and if it doesn't work out, well, we were going to get rid of him anyway. I think he checks more boxes, but he's brittle.

Parssinen would be a close second choice here. Nothing against him really, and I hope he gets a chance. Especially if Glass is sent on the chute out the door.

Not sure our coaches see either of them as centres though.

Novak is a winger that our coaches see as a centre. He's nifty in the offensive zone in the regular season, but he's a Dollar Store version of Jarnkrok in the playoffs. Not invisible. Nonexistent.
Well, I know it's our tradition to throw all the ideas around on here. But basically I'm all for just checking out the chemistry in training camp. Not going in with any truly preset idea of who has to play with whom or where. So to me, any of Glass/Novak/Parssinen/Stamkos/Sissons could enter camp as legitimate options for that spot.

The only catch with Glass is more that we're also over the Cap... by about his salary. Soooo... just making it to camp could be an issue for him. Although you don't have to be Cap compliant until the final cut down day, so Trotz could always start up camp as-is, see if anything that happens on the ice informs his decision. Maybe a guy gets hurt and we dodge the Cap that way. We also like to see a clean roster that is Cap compliant on July 20th as fans and armchair GMs... but realistically he can always wait and see.

Reactions: Kat Predator

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I honestly see this as our best possible scenario for lines next season:

Forsberg O’Reilly Nyquist

Marchessault Stamkos Evangelista

Tomasino Novak Sissons

Parssinen Jankowski McCarron

Smith

Josi Skjei

Lauzon Carrier

Stastney Fabbro

Schenn

Saros

Wedgewood

I feel oreilly and Nyquist will fall off significantly if that line is broken up so that remains a line.

Stammer and marchessault have played together before and will have chemistry along with our young stud Evangelista for some added umph and great experience for him rocking with those two studs.

Novak and Tomasino could do very well together and sissons is no slouch who can also add some grit to that line.

Jankowski and mccarron we with a bit better offensively than smith so they get the nod to play with Parssinen to be a tough checking line with some points here and there. Van move Tomasino and parss up and down depending on how season is going.

Josi and Skjei will be dynamic af
Lauzon is quietly getting better every season and set a record for hits. Carrier and Fabbro can move up and down. Also Schenn subs in and out as well.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I honestly see this as our best possible scenario for lines next season:

Forsberg O’Reilly Nyquist

Marchessault Stamkos Evangelista

Tomasino Novak Sissons

Parssinen Jankowski McCarron

Smith

Josi Skjei

Lauzon Carrier

Stastney Fabbro

Schenn

Saros

Wedgewood

I feel oreilly and Nyquist will fall off significantly if that line is broken up so that remains a line.

Stammer and marchessault have played together before and will have chemistry along with our young stud Evangelista for some added umph and great experience for him rocking with those two studs.

Novak and Tomasino could do very well together and sissons is no slouch who can also add some grit to that line.

Jankowski and mccarron we with a bit better offensively than smith so they get the nod to play with Parssinen to be a tough checking line with some points here and there. Van move Tomasino and parss up and down depending on how season is going.

Josi and Skjei will be dynamic af
Lauzon is quietly getting better every season and set a record for hits. Carrier and Fabbro can move up and down. Also Schenn subs in and out as well.
Id move Pärssinen to center and Jankowski to LW personally but i could get on board with this. So many choices and looks this team can take (except on defense... i think we are going to get skjei/josi and lauzon/carrier). I dont think there is alot set in stone at the moment. Less than 2 months til the 1st preseason game.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Yeah Parssinen will be at center after Brunette's comments last season about messing him up by playing him on wing. I like his top 6. I'd change the bottom six to

Tomasino Novak Sissons

Jankowski Parssinen Smith

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad