Preds lines for next season right now

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
After finally reading Daugherty's article myself (not behind a paywall), it seems a pretty reasonable assessment of where that second line may end up, assuming the first line remains unchanged from last year.
He sets the table for the discussion by focusing on center options between Stamkos playing left and Marchessault playing right.

His first of three consideration:
Tommy Novak, 26, is a skilled playmaker who had 18 goals and 27 assists last season. He's not overly physical and doesn't have top-end speed, but his vision in the offensive zone complements the goal-scoring talent of Stamkos and Marchessault.

Second, he looks at Sissons:
Colton Sissons, 30, is a dependable two-way center who had 15 goals and 20 assists last season. More of an anchor than a catalyst for offense, Sissons wins face-offs and secures puck possession better than most.

Finally, he looks at Glass:
Cody Glass, 24, plays center, but struggled to overcome injuries last season. He's likely fighting for a roster spot on this suddenly stacked Predators team.

He ends it by saying "here's how things could shake out" (emphasis mine), showing Sissons centering the second line.

The rest of the article looks at the defense.

I don't have much of a problem with the article given the presupposition of Stamkos playing LW. I can think of two additional scenarios that weren't mentioned: Parssinen at 2C and a trade that brings in another option for 2C. That said, the article was a decent overview of the options on the table and, given the concerns that have manifested with Novak, I could definitely see a path to Sissons centering that second line (although I would hope that Glass or Parssisen would be tried before we get to that point).

Reactions: originalpredfan

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
Parssinen should get the 1st shot at camp. The whole reason to send him down was to develop as a top 6 C.
My Preference
ROR and Parsnip in either line
Forsberg and Vang
Stamkos and March
Sisson Novak Nyquist
Smith McCarron ?
?= Tomasino, Glass, Jankowski

Josi Fabs
Skjei Schenn
Lauzon Carrier
Stastney

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I think a lot of it is going to come down to who has chemistry with each other. We'll probably go through a lot of iterations before something sticks.

Reactions: Softball99

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
One thing I think we saw enough of last year is that there is already plenty of chemistry with Forsberg-O'Reilly-Nyquist... now, heading into the season it wasn't the vision of many here, and most people wanted to spread those 3 out on other lines to play with younger players. Except now that we have the added veteran depth and talent on top of them, that ought to be less critical? And we might be better off just sticking with the proven chemistry of that line?

I just hope Parssinen has a fair shot in the mix for #2C. Ultimately, I think the coach would tend to defer to Sissons, I can see that happening, but it would indeed be nice if Parssinen and Novak at least had a shot at it. Then Sissons could still be anchoring some of the other young talent on a separate good line.

Of course, we're already kind of writing off Glass... but it if he somehow sticks around and bounces back, I guess he'd be a candidate too.

Reactions: Scoresberg

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Stamkos is fully capable of taking faceoffs. The amount of faceoffs he takes from season to season has swung quite a bit over the years but over the past 5 seasons it has ranged from 416 to 1,068. His lowest win% is 51% and his average is 53.9%.

Novak's best season is 44.5%.

Sissons averages around 1,150 in a full season with a win% around 53.5%.

Novak is a better offensive distributor than Sissons. Would it not make sense to have Novak center with Stamkos taking faceoffs?

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
...but it would indeed be nice if Parssinen and Novak at least had a shot at it. Then Sissons could still be anchoring some of the other young talent on a separate good line.

Of course, we're already kind of writing off Glass... but it if he somehow sticks around and bounces back, I guess he'd be a candidate too.

From an asset management and cost perspective, the team needs to figure out what Novak's role on the team will be (if there is one). His contract, combined with perhaps the best skill match for the role, makes me feel that he will get the first opportunity.

Similarly, Glass might get the next chance if Novak falters just based upon the contract/skill combination, but I wonder if he's already burned through his opportunities and Parssinen gets the next chance.

We'll see. It will certainly be one of the major storylines to watch during camp, including the roster split in regards to the centers. I have little doubt that we'll all dissect it accordingly, lol.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
Simply my opinion, but if it comes down to Novak or Sissons centering the second line than we don't have a true second line center on our roster. I truly hope Parssinen steps up to the task. That is not to say Novak and Sissons can't contribute in 3rd and 4th line roles that better fits their talents.

Predation

Dec 18, 2011
I think Novak takes the second line center spot and surprises everyone. He’s elevated his play every season so far, and he’ll make another big leap this coming year playing with top end talent.

Reactions: triggrman

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I think Novak takes the second line center spot and surprises everyone. He’s elevated his play every season so far, and he’ll make another big leap this coming year playing with top end talent.
I don't know, these last playoffs really made me wonder if Novak hasn't sort of hit his plateau? I mean, it's already pretty amazing what he accomplished going from an after-thought minor league deal to gradually working his way up to this $3.5M contract. But he's 27 and I'm not sure how much more room for "big leaps" he could possibly have left? :dunno:

Reactions: originalpredfan

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think right now, it's Novak's spot to lose. I have high hopes for Pärssinen but seeing how ineptly they handled him last year, I am not holding my breath.

Sissons is the perfect center to anchor the 3rd or 4th line, no reason to mess up the chemistry down there with that move.

I don't know, these last playoffs really made me wonder if Novak hasn't sort of hit his plateau? I mean, it's already pretty amazing what he accomplished going from an after-thought minor league deal to gradually working his way up to this $3.5M contract. But he's 27 and I'm not sure how much more room for "big leaps" he could possibly have left? :dunno:
Yeah, I agree. He's an okay regular season player but when the going gets tough in the playoffs, he's borderline useless. He's a decent stop-gap solution at 2C while we seek for the final solution, though.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
To play devil's advocate Novak was playing with a rookie and a rotating cast of tweener types. I think he could do really well if he were paired with guys who can help carry the load a bit.

As far as the whole lineup goes. If we go with something like Forsberg-O'Reilly-Nyquist and Stamkos-Novak-Marchesseault then that sort of leaves Evangelista, Parssinen, etc. in a tough spot. I hope we take more of a top nine approach and then let Sissons anchor a shutdown type of line.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
He wasn't the only secondary scorer that couldn't do squat in that series.

McCarron, Smith, Evangelista, Sissons, Sherwood all with 1 point or less. ROR had a whopping 1g 1A.

Novak did struggle, especially on the boards, it wasn't a good match up. He'll figure it out.

He played at a 52 point pace during the season. Not bad.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
check this out.

1721157459964.png

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
To play devil's advocate Novak was playing with a rookie and a rotating cast of tweener types. I think he could do really well if he were paired with guys who can help carry the load a bit.

As far as the whole lineup goes. If we go with something like Forsberg-O'Reilly-Nyquist and Stamkos-Novak-Marchesseault then that sort of leaves Evangelista, Parssinen, etc. in a tough spot. I hope we take more of a top nine approach and then let Sissons anchor a shutdown type of line.
I am hoping that at some point during the season, Evangelista will overtake Nyquist on the top line. Nyquist had a fantastic year last year, but I don't see him replicating that plus he's on UFA next summer so he's on the outs with the team anyways.

I also wouldn't mind going back to Forsberg, O'Reilly and Pärssinen like at the start of last season but as I said earlier, I don't think that's the role they're penciling Pärssinen for.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Forsberg - RoR - Nyquist
Stamkos - Novak - Marchessault
Tomasino/Evangelista - Parssinen - Sissons/Evangelista
Leftovers

That's still not a bad lineup

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't think its out of the realm that you don't see Sissons centering the 4th with Parsinnen centering the 3rd with Evangelista and another offensive forward. If he isn't traded that could be Tomasino.

I think Glass is out of the picture. Someone has to get moved and I don't see them giving up on Novak that quickly, at least not to keep Glass anyways.

I don't see Nyquist having the same season and while he may start on the first line I'm not sure he ends up there. Wouldn't shock me that he doesn't slide to the 3rd before its all said and done.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If Sissons manages to get pushed to the 4th line, id like to split up the 30+ goal scorers (Stamkos, forsberg, and Marchessault) and have 1 per line.

Forsberg ROR Nyquist
Stamkos Novak xxxxx
Marchessault Pärssinen xxxx
Smith Sissons xxxx

Then fit in Evangelista, Tomasino, McCarron or whoever. 3 balanced lines that should have some good offensive pop and create some matchup issues including a 4th line that has offensive upside as well.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Taylor isn’t. Outside of Evangelista, show me a top 6 talent he’s developed.

While he’s had a good run in Milwaukee by wins/losses, that doesn’t mean he’s producing higher end NHL quality players.
Eeli Tolvanen played 2 seasons for Taylor. He was #5 in scoring for Seattle last season with 16 G 25 A in 81 GP.

That makes 2 in 5 seasons.

I think that L'Heureux and Kemell (81 games in his "2" seasons in MKE) are future possibilities.

Egor flew the coop and Novak is a third line player, so they don't count.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Hey we should put orielly back on the wing because that’s where he was playing before he signed with us.(sarcastic voice)
I’m gonna say I’m 85 percent sure that stammer will be playing center to start this year. Novak wouldn’t even be my 2nd or 3rd option yet that’s all I’m seeing.
My line up would be
Forsberg stamkos Evangelista
Marchessualt orielly Nyquist
Lheaureux Pärssinen tomasino
Mccarron glass sissons

Josi fabbro
Skjei Lauzon
Statsney carrier

Saros
Wedgewood

In this scenario I traded Novak while his value is high like his shooting percentage. 18 and 16 shooting percentage isn’t obtainable. It will drop just like jeannot’s did and when it does he will be invisible because he doesn’t bring much of anything else to the table. Plus dealing him only will settle our cap instead of 2 of our players.

I think L'Heureux deserves a shot at the beginning of the season. As well as tomasino on the a 3rd energy type line. You can flip flop glass sissons and Pärssinen on that 3rd line. Only reason I chose Pärssinen is because those 3 have already built chemistry.

Reactions: Goon42

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014

I like the top 9 approach. After the top 6 we still have guys like Tomasino, Parssinen and Evangelista + of course Jankowski and Sissons who can round out the 3rd line. It's a bit of a puzzle, sure, but in the end a positive problem how to utilize everyone.

Maybe the kids can form our version of Pittsburgh's HBK line ;)

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
If Sissons manages to get pushed to the 4th line, id like to split up the 30+ goal scorers (Stamkos, forsberg, and Marchessault) and have 1 per line.

Forsberg ROR Nyquist
Stamkos Novak xxxxx
Marchessault Pärssinen xxxx
Smith Sissons xxxx

Then fit in Evangelista, Tomasino, McCarron or whoever. 3 balanced lines that should have some good offensive pop and create some matchup issues including a 4th line that has offensive upside as well.
I don't think that's going to work. We really only have one player (Forsberg) who can carry his own line. The other top guys need help in order to succeed. That's why it's best to put the best players with each other and fill out the rest of the lineup accordingly.

Top-six should no matter what be something like this:

Forsberg - ROR - Nyquist
Stamkos - Novak/Pärssinen - Marchessault

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don't think that's going to work. We really only have one player (Forsberg) who can carry his own line. The other top guys need help in order to succeed. That's why it's best to put the best players with each other and fill out the rest of the lineup accordingly.

Top-six should no matter what be something like this:

Forsberg - ROR - Nyquist
Stamkos - Novak/Pärssinen - Marchessault
Assuming the Stamkos-at-center experiment fails anyway. I'm assuming it does. But I'm also assuming the Preds coaches will at least try it.

Evangelista can eventually replace Nyquist, there is no rush for it to have to happen in the coming season however.

And I think folks do need to draw up their defense pairs as:
Skjei - Josi
Lauzon - Carrier
... at the top-4 anyway. :(

Reactions: Scoresberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad