WJC: Prediction Time

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Who will have the best defense of the tournament?

Does Finland have another goalie we can expect to stand on his head?

Without knowing those answers, I'll go:

G: Canada
S: Finland
B: USA
Russia
Sweden
Czech
Swiss
Denmark
Slovakia
Belarus

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I don't know about every one's defense, but Canada's D looks fantastic to me. If this team plays up to its potential, look out... If our third line looks like Beauvillier-Barzal-Konecny, and Dermott-McKeown on D, I say the other teams will not stand a chance.

I think Russia and Sweden look good on D.

nelsojc

Nov 13, 2015
I don't know about every one's defense, but Canada's D looks fantastic to me. If this team plays up to its potential, look out... If our third line looks like Beauvillier-Barzal-Konecny, and Dermott-McKeown on D, I say the other teams will not stand a chance.

I think Russia and Sweden look good on D.

I'd say Canada's D is the most complete of any team followed by Sweden and Finland...then USA (top heavy)...then Russia/Czechs...then Swiss...then the rest

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sweden just got a big bump with the Leafs letting Nylander go.

I think the top 3 teams are

Canada
USA
Sweden

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Who will have the best defense of the tournament?

Does Finland have another goalie we can expect to stand on his head?

Without knowing those answers, I'll go:

G: Canada
S: Finland
B: USA
Russia
Sweden
Czech
Swiss
Denmark
Slovakia
Belarus

assuming you're predicting the final standings this isn't possible, 9 and 10 has to be 1 team from each group. 1 of Slovakia and Belarus have to finish top 8.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
1. Finland
2. Sweden
3. Canada

Top scorer: Rantanen
Best defenseman: Sanheim
Best goalie: Kähkönen

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
Finland USA Canada ...too scorer Sonny Milano ..longshot i know.if not I like Pastrnak from Czechs if Bruins letting him go.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I personally think that one of Switzerland or the Czechs could make something happen, and Finland could surprise me after all. Sweden and Russia are maybe somehow kinda underrated IMO and I don't think people realize how strong the US offense really is. As for Canada, I think they will easily outplay everyone, but that's just my opinion, we'll see.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I personally think that one of Switzerland or the Czechs could make something happen, and Finland could surprise me after all. Sweden and Russia are maybe somehow kinda underrated IMO and I don't think people realize how strong the US offense really is. As for Canada, I think they will easily outplay everyone, but that's just my opinion, we'll see.

So..... everyone is going to do well.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I think Canada and the U.S. could have problems switching to bigger ice for an elimination game so for that reason:

G Finland
S Russia
B Sweden

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
So..... everyone is going to do well.

I didn't say they would all succeed. The Czechs could pull one surprise and beat Russia or Finland.

Finland would surprise me if they made the semi-finals, as I think they will face Sweden in the QF and lose. Sweden and Russia seemed to be kinda underrated here in this thread, many people jumping on the Finland band-wagon and quite ignoring that Russia and Sweden have both better and deeper rosters overall. And I also got the impression that just a few people really have a clue about US forwards that are unquestionably better than what Finland, for example, has. :)

That doesn't mean they all succeed. Only one wins at the end and that will be clearly Canada in my humble opinion. :popcorn:

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
I didn't say they would all succeed. The Czechs could pull one surprise and beat Russia or Finland.

Finland would surprise me if they made the semi-finals, as I think they will face Sweden in the QF and lose. Sweden and Russia seemed to be kinda underrated here in this thread, many people jumping on the Finland band-wagon and quite ignoring that Russia and Sweden have both better and deeper rosters overall. And I also got the impression that just a few people really have a clue about US forwards that are unquestionably better than what Finland, for example, has. :)

That doesn't mean they all succeed. Only one wins at the end and that will be clearly Canada in my humble opinion. :popcorn:

Russia is underrated every year, just check the threads from before. Yet they've been in 3 gold medal games in last 5 years, with other 2 being bronze.

Few follow KHL, and lack of exposure and language difference creats this barrier, most people never heard of these guys and it creates this illusion that they are nobodies. But history says otherwise.

IMO, just like Sweden, they are stable 2nd-3rd place with a strong contention for 1st. Just like Canada and US. Keyword is stable contenders, not to offend Czechs and Finns

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Russia is underrated every year, just check the threads from before. Yet they've been in 3 gold medal games in last 5 years, with other 2 being bronze.

Few follow KHL, and lack of exposure and language difference creats this barrier, most people never heard of these guys and it creates this illusion that they are nobodies. But history says otherwise.

IMO, just like Sweden, they are stable 2nd-3rd place with a strong contention for 1st. Just like Canada and US. Keyword is stable contenders, not to offend Czechs and Finns

Russia might be underrated every year based on the unknown factor, a lot of the noth american posters here don't get to hear or see anything about the KHL unless they go looking themselves.

However I don't think they've been rated this low in a while. I have them at 5, last year I had them at 1/2 along with Canada iirc, usually they're rated in the top 4. But this seems like a down year for an outside perspective, and USA, Canada, Sweden, Finland also look very strong. I guess we'll have to see, my opinion isn't that informed but usually Russia has a big name that everyone knows and expects could be the best forward in the tournament, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Buchnevich or Barbashev last year. They do have Kamenev, Svechnikov, Kaprizov. Provorov is a great D, Samsanov a great goalie so we'll have to see. They're not weak, but I don't see them as strong as they usually are or better, while the other 4 teams are imo.

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
Let's just say if you bet on this team on western betting sites, you're almost guaranteed to profit every year.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Let's just say if you bet on this team on western betting sites, you're almost guaranteed to profit every year.

I don't disagree, because like I said the knowledge of the Russia players playing in the KHL is almost 0 on the North American end, but even though they're often underrated, this year is more than normal. Last year they were co-favorites iirc, and usually they're always considered top 4.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
It would be more even between Canada, USA & Finland this year if it wasn't played on European sized rink so that's why I have to say Finland is the favorite. Finland needs to win their group though to get easier route to the medal games and not lose to Russia for instance as it is clear Canada, USA and Sweden will be the top-3 of the other group.

What works against Finland is that I'm not so sure can they handle the home pressure and it's unusual for Finnish to be at least equal favorites to win each game, but I trust on our experienced coach Jukka Jalonen to calm the team down.

1. Finland
2. USA
3. Canada
4. Sweden

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I think Canada and the U.S. could have problems switching to bigger ice for an elimination game so for that reason:

G Finland
S Russia
B Sweden

I don't think so.

Canada showed 2015 IIHF men's world championships that they can play bigger ice really well.
Actually i haven't never seen that-kind domination on the ice what Canada showed in Prague.

Russians didn't have no chance in that game.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I don't think so.

Canada showed 2015 IIHF men's world championships that they can play bigger ice really well.
Actually i haven't never seen that-kind domination on the ice what Canada showed in Prague.

Russians didn't have no chance in that game.

Sure, Canada's proven they can play on big ice but this time it's different. They'll go from playing on hybrid ice for their preliminary games to playing on bigger ice in a do-or-die game. There won't be any room for error or any time to get used to it. It's win or done. Not saying they can't do it, but it could be a factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad