Speculation: Predicting the Opening Day Lineup - PART 2

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I like it because they represent the current strength of the team.
What is this current strength? Please enlighten me. And please spare the "tough to play against" line. Guys like Matthews, Marner, Pastarnak, etc. aren't going "uh oh, here come the Ottawa Senators, they are gonna be tough to play against"!!

In reality, these guys are pumped to play against out defence because its a great opportunity to pad some stats.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

wwwwhhhheeewwww that coburn-brown pairing. Matt Murray buckle up

Both of those players are better than Rielly, the Joe Uh-Oh Corvo Lite clone. And Brann should play over them at some point, hope he is healthy and lights it up at Belleville.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

wwwwhhhheeewwww that coburn-brown pairing. Matt Murray buckle up

Haha yeah but I’m liking the top 6 and top 4 tbh... Swap JBD in one of those RD spots next season and the D is shaping up nicely.

I’m really hoping Wolanin shows us what he can do this season. He has very legit top 4 potential. He might make Brannstrom expendable...

I think a package of L.Brown/Brannstrom/1st/Tierney could probably get a pretty good player... but we should wait and see how those first 2 guys fare this season.

Reactions: Xspyrit and HSF

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Did white even play bad.
A strong possibility is that it was white or norris or brown from the get go. They filled the other 3 center spots with stepan anisimov tierney. Paquette was mever not making it.
White may have been perfectly fine just not better than norris or batherson.

Smith always said right from the very start. There are only 3 spots available on the roster. Norris batherson and stutzle got those spots.
I don't think so. The fact that they gave white that contract means they absolutely want him to be playing and want him to excel. The hard decision is to actually sit him IF other guys took his spot even if he makes more.

I think Tkachuk Chabot and White are in different categories than the 3 you listed. I would be shocked if they didnt have white penciled in but just thought other guys earned a shot first

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Simple - at Center -

1. Norris
2. Stepan
3. CT
4. Arti Party
This doesn't really look like a "strength" to me.

3 guys in Stepan, CT and Arti who's better years (if they even had them) are way behind them and another C who has barely played in the league. How is that a strength?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

3 guys in Stepan, CT and Arti who's better years (if they even had them) are way behind them and another C who has barely played in the league. How is that a strength?

Chris Tierney is 26... his best years aren't behind him. They other two? Yes.

I think it's okay to admit that this team has holes everywhere. That's why we've finished close to last 3 seasons in a row, and will likely be at the bottom of our division this year. That should be expected. Our "strength", if you had to pick one thing, would probably be our depth up front. We don't have a line that we'll need to completely shelter, which can't be said for every team. We have a lot of safe players that will go out there, play their role, and not make mistakes in the bottom-6. There aren't really any liabilities.

But at the same time, there are some very high-potential things to be excited about - mostly Stutzle, Norris, Batherson and the continued evolution of Tkachuk.

Montreal fans are thrilled about their young players and already pencilling in Suzuki, Kotkaniemi and Romanov as top-line players. No reason we can't have the same expectation with our guys.

Reactions: xVolchenkov

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I said “there” strength - it is what it is until they have better.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
How is it that Logan Brown and Formenton could make the opening night roster of a team looking to compete in the playoffs when they were lesser players but can't make it now?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Both of those players are better than Rielly, the Joe Uh-Oh Corvo Lite clone. And Brann should play over them at some point, hope he is healthy and lights it up at Belleville.
Coburn offer essentially nothing. Reilly at least goes there and flies around.
Yeah brannstrom or Jaros should be there.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Man all this about drafting character guys but your 1st rounders can barely crack the lineup of a 2nd worst team in the league because their camp has been shit. Where is the character?

Pisses me off even more seeing Boeser snipe 2 goals last night on Edmonton.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I sincerely can't believe that this coaching staff cannot find a place for Colin White even on the 4th line. How does having Anisimov there help this team more right now or even in 2 to 4 years down the road? 4th line don't usually play that much.

Also, really funny, there is an story on instagram of the Sens page where they show Colin White coming to the ice with his grey jersey. He look really piss or not happy about it.

Now, he should use that frustration to prove them wrong if he can. But it's baffling to me that a 30th place team cannot find a place for a 23 y/o player who needs to play in order to get better.

Futhermore, i watched a french interview of Dorion on TVA Sport. He basically said that he sees the other 6 teams in the division as potential contender and that they understand they are not there yet but still want to be troublemaker for them.

To me it add to the debate that they have added way to much player that are probably should not have.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
How is it that Logan Brown and Formenton could make the opening night roster of a team looking to compete in the playoffs when they were lesser players but can't make it now?

We had terrible depth before and more high end depth.

Now we have better bottom 6 depth and severely lacking top end depth (hence why 3 rookies in top 6).

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I sincerely can't believe that this coaching staff cannot find a place for Colin White even on the 4th line. How does having Anisimov there help this team more right now or even in 2 to 4 years down the road? 4th line don't usually play that much.

Also, really funny, there is an story on instagram of the Sens page where they show Colin White coming to the ice with his grey jersey. He look really piss or not happy about it.

Now, he should use that frustration to prove them wrong if he can. But it's baffling to me that a 30th place team cannot find a place for a 23 y/o player who needs to play in order to get better.
A 23 year old player that they just signed long term.

Reactions: Viletho

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Being pissed over whether the sens win or lose is just as insignificant. You’re on a message board, lending serious time to commenting on them. You are part of this lmfao

Beevus or butt-head being the 3rd forward on the taxi squad has no bearing on whether or not the Sens win or lose.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Because they've stagnated as prospects and the roles they were were trying to fill on those playoff teams were bottom-6 roles that Dorion has since filled with trash from other teams

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Because they've stagnated as prospects and the roles they were were trying to fill on those playoff teams were bottom-6 roles that Dorion has since filled with trash from other teams

Our bottom 6 is:

Paul(homegrown)-Tierney(SOLID 3rd liner)-Brown(SOLID 3rd liner)
Paquette(stanley cup champion, crucial role player)-White(homegrown)-Watson(solid 3rd liner on perennial playoff team)

Does anyone see trash?

Reactions: Xspyrit

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
A 23 year old player that they just signed long term.

What does a long term deal have to do with earning a spot on a lineup? Are you saying it should automatically guarantee it? How many minutes should one automatically get regardless of their play?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Nope , but if you have invested in the young player long term, you may at least want him to work through his issues.

I think they are - nothing wrong with some tough love. They’ve invested a lot in Brann and Brown too and they are getting a similar treatment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad