Speculation: Predicting the Opening Day Lineup - PART 2

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Just wanted to share this gem from Garrioch's latest.

"On with the show this is it.

The Ottawa Senators training camp has come to a close and when they gather Thursday at the Canadian Tire Centre to prepare to face the Toronto Maple Leafs Friday night the focus will turn to preparing in earnest for the first two rounds of the Battle of Ontario which will continue Saturday."

Read that sentence out loud. This is a professional journalist of 20+ years.

Bruce at elementary school.

a8EBgKWUYlPhsbDyPteC5Mcyqz8=.gif

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Bruce at elementary school.

a8EBgKWUYlPhsbDyPteC5Mcyqz8=.gif

No way! Brüce is the man! He is the senior advisor to Pierre Dorion! He even said on Twitter he had to take a course on how to use the umlaut on his computer! Lol. Pure dedication right there ! Let’s go Brüce !

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
The problem with Haley on the taxi squad is that there is a good chance we'll see him with the big club. I have zero appetite seeing Haley playing for the Sens.
on the flip side those guys may not play for a long time and thus you would want depth players on there. I think most teams are doing the same putting vets who are fringe guys on their taxi squad

Reactions: Silencio

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
on the flip side those guys may not play for a long time and thus you would want depth players on there. I think most teams are doing the same putting vets who are fringe guys on their taxi squad

Yeah I'd rather have prospects playing every other night in the AHL than sit for weeks doing nothing on the taxi squad.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
How can White go from “he’s having a great camp” to skating with Galchenyuk and Haley on the 5th line.

DJ is now starting to sound like Pierre"on the 8th day.." Dorion now. I will reserve my judgement until we see the opening day line-up tomorrow, I guess atm Tierney, Anisimov, Norris, Stepan, and Pacquette have all outplayed him. With little exposure to the training camp, we don't know what we don't.

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
As per this morning's practice:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stützle-Stepan-Dadonov
Paul-Tierney-C.Brown
Paquette-Anisimov-Watson

Galchenyuk-White-Haley

Chabot-Gudbranson
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Coburn-J.Brown

Reilly-Zub

Murray
Hogberg

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
nice to see wolanin in a top 4 spot think he is going to do work this year

I think coburn will move down the lineup quickly. Could just be a courtesy thing since he wanted to come here to try him out there like Toronto with Thornton on their top line. I suspect neither of these last and we see Reilly back

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Since Pierre took over in 2016, he's produced 3 NHL regulars -Dzingel, Chabot and Tkachuk. That's 3 players in 5 years. Absolutely abysmal.
Honeslty. I don’t think that necessarily fair. He was drafting players in that time. (And now norris and batherson and wolanin are there)

BUT. Those players are essentially now ready to at least contribute. And he wants to keep them out

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
As per this morning's practice:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stützle-Stepan-Dadonov
Paul-Tierney-C.Brown
Paquette-Anisimov-Watson

Galchenyuk-White-Haley

Chabot-Gudbranson
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Coburn-J.Brown

Reilly-Zub

Murray
Hogberg

^like^ .... alöt

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Honeslty. I don’t think that necessarily fair. He was drafting players in that time. (And now norris and batherson and wolanin are there)

BUT. Those players are essentially now ready to at least contribute. And he wants to keep them out

I think it's very fair. It's not like he came in fresh to the organization and had to rebuild from scratch. He was a big part of drafting the players he inherited when he took the reins.

We will see how long Norris, Batherson, and Wolanin last in the lineup before they get replaced by journeymen, either ones already on the roster or ones who are brought in for late round draft picks.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
When Zaitsev inevitably struggles, its Wolanin that's gonna be blamed.
think they compliment each other well

Let s see how rusty Wolanin is though dude hasnt played for a long time. He looked really good before injury though

bonus is that the North division has some pretty average defense groups

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
think they compliment each other well

Let s see how rusty Wolanin is though dude hasnt played for a long time. He looked really good before injury though
Im not worried about Wolanin, the hatty at the scrimmage is a good sign that the rust has worn off. Zaitsev was terrible last year and wasn't any better when he played with the Leafs. I feel bad for Wolanain.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Do you actually like it a lot, or do you like it a lot because there is no Colin White?

I like it because they represent the current strength of the team. I’d like to see any player not in the lineup improve and force their way in.

It also has a safety net threaded in for 3 (virtual) rookies to play their first game and a Dman who hasn’t played in two years.

Reactions: HSF

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Did white even play bad.
A strong possibility is that it was white or norris or brown from the get go. They filled the other 3 center spots with stepan anisimov tierney. Paquette was mever not making it.
White may have been perfectly fine just not better than norris or batherson.

Smith always said right from the very start. There are only 3 spots available on the roster. Norris batherson and stutzle got those spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad