Predict the Atlantic Standings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
Atlantic this year is going to be even more tough IMO

Sabres and Sens should be a lot better this year compared to last year. Bruins, Bolts, Panthers, Leafs will be fighting it out at the top anyway.

Panthers TBD given injury to Tkachuk, and other scenarios. Can Bob continue with his playoff form in regular season?

Atlantic is probably the toughest division to rank IMO
Tkachuk is fine and will be ready game 1. Montour is expected out at least a month and Ekblad is out till December/January. Montour is a big loss, Florida is used to playing without Ekblad though.

Reactions: PromisedLand

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think Toronto is going to have a monster regular season. Bunch of really good players who know the situation. I don't think it helps come playoff time though.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley and bert

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
I think Toronto is going to have a monster regular season. Bunch of really good players who know the situation. I don't think it helps come playoff time though.

So weird to me. The purpose of the regular season is (1) fill the stadium, (2) accumulate enough points to make the playoffs, and (3) prepare for the playoffs. Well, Toronto is always going to fill the stadium, so #1 should be irrelevant. The #2 doesn't seem like that big of a hurdle unless you're just really bad. That brings us to #3, which -- and this is the weird part -- is apparently totally irrelevant in Maple Leaf world since the core is so so so soft. Why build a team to sell regular season tickets when you're going to fill the stadium anyway? If you're going to fill the stadium anyway, then why not build a tough-as-nails playoff team instead? Somebody please explain the purported logic behind this.

Regulars-marshmallow-package.png

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
So weird to me. The purpose of the regular season is (1) fill the stadium, (2) accumulate enough points to make the playoffs, and (3) prepare for the playoffs. Well, Toronto is always going to fill the stadium, so #1 should be irrelevant. The #2 doesn't seem like that big of a hurdle unless you're just really bad. That brings us to #3, which -- and this is the weird part -- is apparently totally irrelevant in Maple Leaf world since the core is so so so soft. Why build a team to sell regular season tickets when you're going to fill the stadium anyway? If you're going to fill the stadium anyway, then why not build a tough-as-nails playoff team instead? Somebody please explain the purported logic behind this.

View attachment 730852
They got Reaves though. So...problem solved. Can't believe no one ever thought of that before.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Bruins without Bergeron are a bubble team reliant on defense and goaltending. With Bergeron a 100-110 point team.

If Bergeron is back, the Krejci to JVR downgrade won't kill them, JVR/Zacha/Pastrnak might be better than Zacha/Krejci/Pastrnak come playoff time where the globetrotter shit won't work as well as JVR's ass in front of the net.

The bottom six will lose Taylor Hall which will hurt more than anything. Hall and Nosek out and Geekie + Boqvist/Merkulov/Lysell in at least gets them younger.

The rest of the team is the same. Of course, Bruins are still hovering around Calgary and WPG and have some potential arbitration cases that could force some more movement, so who knows where things look when training camp opens or the day after the TDL.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
  • Haha
Reactions: SensFactor

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Montreal - 145 points
Buffalo - 63 points
Detroit - 75 points
Boston - 43 points
Toronto - 43.5 points
Ottawa - 26 points
Quebec - Relocation
Tampa Bay - 23 points
Florida - also 23 points.

Yup.

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Some have Boston higher than I thought…they will be outside of the top 3 for sure…

Toronto
Tampa
Florida
Ottawa
Boston
Buffalo
Montreal
Detroit

I could see Buffalo surpassing them this year.

Boston does have a history of finding a way however…..

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Toronto is a paper tiger. This season they'll be more paper, less tiger.

Klingberg, Domi and Bertuzzi are more firepower but not great defensively. Then there’s the loss of ROR, Bunting, Kerfoot, Holl and a few others that were at least average defensively will sting.

I think the team scores more but struggles to defend. Regular season results should look similar.

Reactions: SENStastic

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Klingberg, Domi and Bertuzzi are more firepower but not great defensively. Then there’s the loss of ROR, Bunting, Kerfoot, Holl and a few others that were at least average defensively will sting.

I think the team scores more but struggles to defend. Regular season results should look similar.

I agree that they're worse defensively clearly, but ROR hardly played in the regular season and the Leafs were on pace to be a 110+ point team without him. Bunting was no good defensively. Kerfoot and Holl were good defensively and will be a loss at that end.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
And yet a lot of people here are predicting they’re 7th or 8th in the Atlantic when Boston, Tampa, Ottawa all got worse.
If you think Ottawa got worse you're living in a fantasy land. Bottom line is Detroits top end talent is quite easily the 2nd worst in the division. That's what people see. They're deep they can make the playoffs but it's undeniable that they don't have the big guns like the rest of the division excluding Montreal.

Reactions: SENStastic

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006

Let's not forget the core. It's soft and wilts under pressure. Both Matthews and Nylander are looking for new contracts...and, if they were interested in signing more team-oriented deals, they would have extended already.

So, you've got a team with less depth, who's built on a single track of offense...with 2 key players now more interested in personal gain than team success.

Add in Tampa, Florida and Boston who all have things to prove and grudges to bear...good luck holding your ground.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Detroit 2nd best offseason, not even counting any improvements from all their young players.

They also deconstructed their team before the off-season started.

Only one direction to go after that.

Reactions: bert

Mudz

3peat watch: 0/3
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
1. Toronto: similar as last year. Traded some defense for more offense. So far they are worst for the playoffs. Keefe could be canned if they stumble at some point but they have Boucher who always starts strong with a new team.
2. Buffalo: depends on Levi being able to play a full season at the same pace he finished the season. Second year for power.
3. Ottawa: Lost Debrincat but Noris is back. A full year of Chychrun. Well 60 games. A lot depends on the injuries or lack of. Wouldn't be surprised if Smith is the first coach canned.
4. Boston(WC): Ullmark should regress to a more normal save%. Leadership vacuum. Center depth is thin
5. Tampa: Could easily beat Boston. First long offseason in a while but all their top guys already had a great year last year. Lost some dept.
6. Detroit: Is getting there. Should be in the mix with Boston and Tampa.
7. Florida: Barely made it. Injuries. Paul Maurice. Loved them in the playoffs but hangover.
7. Montréal: Keeps on getting better but the gap is too big.

Could easily see Montréal make it to the playoffs. It's July after all

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Tampa
Toronto
Boston
Florida
Buffalo
Ottawa
Detroit
Montreal

1&2 close and 3-7 tightly grouped as well.
Should be much more interesting than last season. :laugh:

Reactions: Sensators

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
If you think Ottawa got worse you're living in a fantasy land. Bottom line is Detroits top end talent is quite easily the 2nd worst in the division. That's what people see. They're deep they can make the playoffs but it's undeniable that they don't have the big guns like the rest of the division excluding Montreal.

What did Ottawa do to get better? They finished the season a whopping 6 points ahead of Detroit despite the fact that Detroit sold what, 5 players at the deadline and Ottawa were buyers?

Then they lost DeBrincat for a player that’s a clear downgrade in all areas in Kubalik. There’s a good chance they lose Batherson for the year and beyond, and there’s no guarantee that the Norris Ottawa is getting back is as good as the Norris from 2021-22 after being out a whole year. Is Korpisalo channeling the spirit of 1990s Dominik Hasek to save them from poor team defense?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What did Ottawa do to get better? They finished the season a whopping 6 points ahead of Detroit despite the fact that Detroit sold what, 5 players at the deadline and Ottawa were buyers?

Then they lost DeBrincat for a player that’s a clear downgrade in all areas in Kubalik. There’s a good chance they lose Batherson for the year and beyond, and there’s no guarantee that the Norris Ottawa is getting back is as good as the Norris from 2021-22 after being out a whole year. Is Korpisalo channeling the spirit of 1990s Dominik Hasek to save them from poor team defense?
Ottawa didn't have Norris or Chychrun all season. Goaltending was horrid. It can't be worse. Debrincat was not a good fit with the team, he can't drive a line. He will get slotted better in Detroit but he wasn't good in the role he had in Ottawa. At 5 on 5 Kubalik isn't a huge downgrade. A healthy Norris slots the centers way better. Pinto is a year older. The forward group is undeniably better same with the d core and goaltending.

Batherson comment is outrageous hyperbole on a topic youre reaching for. A weak attempt to back up your flawed argument. It's pathetic to hope for something like that the way you are. Shows your true character.

As a group only Giroux is on the backside of his career. They'll collectively improve. The rest is just wishful thinking on your end.

I'll stand by what I said Toronto will be first Montreal will be last the middle 6 who knows. It will largely depend on injuries. However if injuries are even I don't see Detroit better than 7th. They are the weakest in top end talent they do have decent depth I'll give them that. Your homersistic views won't be able to handle this obvious fact but it's true.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
They also deconstructed their team before the off-season started.

Only one direction to go after that.

While true, I think it's fair to note that they've added real value on paper. They flirted with a playoff spot for a long time last season, yet many people seem to rate them only based on the post-TDL version of the team.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Boston are losing both top 6 centers

Buffalo has a great team young but lots of elite talent they could use a better goalie tho but i think they will explode this year

And i think Tampa will take a step back this year yes they still have Kucherov,Vasi,Hedman etc but they been losing alot of depth

Hey, I'd enjoy seeing Boston fall, but your prediction would require a 40-50 point drop that feels extreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad