Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
The players also need to play up to their paychecks!
Sure. That's clear enough.

But that comes down to whether you think all of the players on this roster have no pride or competitive drive, or if they would step up and play well. I just don't buy the take that they are all loafers, stealing their paychecks, or need to be treated like crap to play better. There are plenty of highly competitive guys on this team. So there must be a different reason they are failing as individuals and as a group.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Carrier back tonight and McDonagh's return is imminent according to Lingan too.

Wonder who comes out for Novak tonight? Seems like Jankowski or Glass would be the most likely.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
And the Tommy Noval Era begins. Once a plugger, now he's the Savior of the #1 Line.

Being sarcastic but I like the move. Keep the callups coming. Play younger. If we win enough to get back in the hunt, great. If we continue to lose, but with younger players getting experience, we'll get a better draft pick.

Reactions: triggrman

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
This has to satire right?

Hynes reasoning "it worked with parssinen for 2 games so why the hell not try"

Who is playing with hunger? Parssinen is still playing a strong, physical game and taking the puck to the net. Granlund is better at wing than center. Joey is the only vet 1C/2C playing remotely well. Novak did well when called up last season and is excelling in the AHL this season ... it sends a message to the vets and puts a player with skill in a decent position to contribute ... 2 SOG, 1 A through the first 13 minutes.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Question is, does this fanbase want to get into the playoffs carried by Saros only to get curb-stomped in the 1st round?

Or do they want to have a reload summer, get a high pick and a new coach to start fresh next year?

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Question is, does this fanbase want to get into the playoffs carried by Saros only to get curb-stomped in the 1st round?

Or do they want to have a reload summer, get a high pick and a new coach to start fresh next year?
Unless something drastic happens like firing Hynes and the new coach coming in and firing a spark in our team getting them to play like they are capable of playing I wanna get the highest possible draft pick we can get

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

So in both options we are keeping Hynes as a coach all season, and in both options he gets fired in the summer, right?

I will take instead whatever option gets him fired tomorrow. Then if we make the playoffs under the new coach and get curb-stomped, that's ok. Or if we miss the playoffs and get a somewhat higher draft pick, well, that's fair enough given we are already behind the eight ball here.

I don't think there is any option which gets us a high enough draft pick to really make a difference though? It's not really about the draft pick therefore, either way. Whether we pick 10th or 16th, I'm not seeing that as a franchise-defining difference. We'll get more mileage for the future with a new coach ASAP, period, regardless of where that puts us in the standings at the end of the year.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
5 pts in December, 16 points for the season, top ten in the league in face off percentage (20+ faceoffs) ... how is he underperforming?
I agree! Did you see him on the boards and checking! I thought he played well tonight. The High Stick was a laugh call! He actually looked engaged tonight.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Gross back to Milwaukee which presumably means McDonagh will be back next game.

That'll teach him for getting a goal.

Id personally rather get a good pick and hynes fired but realistically i dont see that happening. I think we barely miss the playoffs, hynes and poile scapegoat injuries and underperforming vets, we go into next season status quo

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
That'll teach him for getting a goal.
Maybe they will just recall him immediately via normal channels. They probably had him up on an "emergency" basis, but that expires if McDonagh comes back. We should still carry a 7th guy on D, I say. And while I wouldn't be thrilled to see Gross paired with Josi, I do think he has earned a longer stay with the Preds.

Id personally rather get a good pick and hynes fired but realistically i dont see that happening. I think we barely miss the playoffs, hynes and poile scapegoat injuries and underperforming vets, we go into next season status quo
Wow, thanks for that downer. :eek3: Honestly, if all this stuff continues, we miss the playoffs, pick #10-14 or something, and Hynes is back as our coach next season, everything status quo... they are going to have a very hard time keeping some fans onboard.

I'm not sure if there has been a timeline released for Haslam's purchase? I remember reading he was going to be gradually increasing his stake over a period of several years, but I don't remember seeing an exact breakdown. I would tend to think even as minority owner next season though he might start to make his voice heard a little and might not be keen on any projections that seem likely to have a negative impact on the value of his new toy. :dunno:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
So in both options we are keeping Hynes as a coach all season, and in both options he gets fired in the summer, right?

I will take instead whatever option gets him fired tomorrow. Then if we make the playoffs under the new coach and get curb-stomped, that's ok. Or if we miss the playoffs and get a somewhat higher draft pick, well, that's fair enough given we are already behind the eight ball here.

I don't think there is any option which gets us a high enough draft pick to really make a difference though? It's not really about the draft pick therefore, either way. Whether we pick 10th or 16th, I'm not seeing that as a franchise-defining difference. We'll get more mileage for the future with a new coach ASAP, period, regardless of where that puts us in the standings at the end of the year.
Agree completely 👍

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

Kind of a false dichotomy as we're not really bad enough (present run excepted) to get a game-changing high pick anyway. Are we better off getting bounced in the 1st round or getting a pick in the 10-15 range that won't be ready for a few years and probably won't develop into anything special in this organization anyway? Those seem the more likely options.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Maybe its homerism clouding my judgement but I still think this roster is capable of winning a round or two of the playoffs. When I compare our roster to someone like Winnipeg or Minnesota it really doesn't seem like we should be incapable of competing with them.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Maybe its homerism clouding my judgement but I still think this roster is capable of winning a round or two of the playoffs. When I compare our roster to someone like Winnipeg or Minnesota it really doesn't seem like we should be incapable of competing with them.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. For all we complain about icing a few AHL grinders... perhaps by conscious choice when we had other options... there are teams like those who have been more "forced" to do so... the Winnipeg lineup that beat us... Eyssimont, Gagner, Gustafsson, Harkins, Stenlund... they have been running with half a dozen such players basically all year. I don't watch the team to really know what they are doing, and I don't subscribe to the theory that Rick Bowness is some genius coach... although he seems to be able to get results in a short-term change of scenery scenario anyway. And for all there is probably a large element of Hellebuyck carrying them, I think we can match that with what our goalies do.

Coaching just has that big an impact at this level. And it's not as easily measurable as who is more of a "genius" than another, or who draws up the best "system", or juggles any of the various coaching balls better than somebody else in a general sense. Anybody hired at this level knows hockey and some basic player psychology. It is more about who is riding the right wavelength with his team at a given point in time. And that can come and go, just as we maybe saw with the first half of last season vs. what has happened in the year since.

So to me, it just argues again that GMs need to be vigilant and ready to change coaches when the situation arises. When you are clocking a year of things not working, and you are starting to lose player assets, or players are showing signs of regression or stagnation... it shouldn't be sooooo tough to push that button. Especially when there is no historical track record that argues in favor of waiting things out. Hynes hasn't won here or anywhere else in this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad