Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Just saw someone updated the ownership page for the Preds which is depressingly hilarious

1671217853408.png

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Scoring is up overall but down on the Preds team so relative to their peers, it could very well be their best season
Individually
Scoring is up overall but down on the Preds team so relative to their peers, it could very well be their best season
individually there are 50 players in the league at a point per game or better, there are 24 teams averaging more that 3gpg. Where the Preds languish at 2.5 for and over 3 against. Not a single aspect of team play is excelling.

As fans we want action. But what ? So many areas needing attention. If Trotz is the plan from his statements if will be the summer. Making player moves knowing a new old coach is inbound could be easier on Poile because he sure knows Trotz tastes in players. If Poile makes a shift to build the D that would have indicate me that Poiles job is safe and Trotz is the plan. If Poile is moved out then all bets are off.

One thing we do know is that the ownership has never known much about the sport and given DP full rein. I have zero confidence the ownership group has a clue how to vet a GM hire. The composition of the roster is more disjointed than any roster since 2002. The core can just not long term excel , the bottom 6 are just a dime a dozen bunch and the young guys struggle to adapt to the NHL. Allowing the young guys to mature in the league is a option that the true fan base is not going to like due to mutiple years of losing before there competitive. A number of people have been posting that a game has returned to the social event calander that it was in the early years. Someone Else pointed out that attendance was still good but Nashville has a rep of being a great town to travel to for games. This continues to pay the ownership which is there primary focus. Thus protecting Poile. It’s like a dog chasing his tail. Many of us have had exposure to this game for a long time and it clouds our viewpoint. There are just so many tangents this could go. But what we’re seeing is painful.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Every team we play lately looks like the Globetrotters to our Washington Generals. My goodness, how do these teams find so many fast guys who can handle the puck. Our team speed must be at the league bottom.

Hynes has to go. If he doesn't, then we're not a serious franchise anymore. It's not so much our record, it's how we look. This is pre-2004 stuff. The owners must already be seeing this in their pocketbook. Lower attendance, less fan engagement, and leading toward no playoff game $$.

I have been as optimistic as any fan for decades. They're losing me. I still go to games. I still watch away games. I read this Board. But I've come grip with the reality: We are below average with limited upside. So now, we lose, and it doesn't affect me. In years past, last night's OT loss would have ruined my day today. Instead, I was over it in 5 minutes.

I don't want to "not care" but it's starting to happen, and I hate it. I just re-upped for 3 more years on my 6 full season tickets. I'm a Year One guy. The thought of cutting ties now crosses my mind. I won't act on it, but I think about it. Truth be told, going to games feels more like an obligation right now then a passion.

How did we get here? I trace it back to the impulsive Lavy firing after The Winter Classic. I'd take Lavy back in a NY-Minute. I'll take Trotzy 2.0. We have too many players in long term deals. We can't change them out. So either change the coach, the GM, or both. Please.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don't know how Poile hasn't fired him, especially with Trotz sitting there doing nothing. Maybe you have but you at least pick up the phone and make that call and if he is on board you can Hynes. This isn't going to get better, Hynes actually believe this is a winning system.

He made the playoffs in NJ on the back of an incredible season by Taylor Hall. He's barely made into the playoffs here on the back of Forsberg, Duchene, and Josi having career years. David Poile has watched more hockey than probably most of this board put together. There is no way in heck he isn't seeing exactly what we are.
I feel like in some cities a reporter might ask this question at this point in this disappointing season? To Poile, to Trotz, or write an editorial raising the question?

It's kind of funny how much we have to just wildly speculate about. Like, I'm assuming that Poile thought long and hard about whether to extend Hynes in those 10 days between our elimination and the announcement of the extension last May. Why extend for only 2 years if you are truly happy with the coach? You can't go just by what Poile says as a canned statement in the extension press conference, of course, it's understood he can only say Nice and Supportive Things at that point. But for all we really know, he never remotely considered not extending him and there is some other reasoning behind the 2 years, and for all we really know he is 100% supportive of everything Hynes is doing even now.

It's just weird that it's not even really a question that is being asked. Even while you know he'll try to dodge and Say The Right Things in carefully worded GMSpeak. Still, just watching him say them might allow for some attempt to read between the lines, or conversely might gave a sense of sincere support existing. Something would be better than nothing, anyway. :dunno:

Reactions: Armourboy

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
That’s the thing Trotz indicated before the season he wanted to take the season off. Could this be why ZPoile has not pulled the trigger?
Trotz actually reiterated in a podcast the other day that he didn't plan to return to coaching this season, but that teams have reached out.

"I don't know yet," Trotz told Millard. "I'm deciding. There's a couple teams that reached out and I said I'm not there yet. I'm probably going to take the rest of the year off and see where I am. It's still a part of me, but I'm going to continue to stay true to myself and my family right now."

Or hell maybe we're pursuing Trotz as a GM with Poile retiring or semi-retiring into an advisory role too.

Either way I still fire Hynes and go with an interim even if its someone like Hinote/Lambert who I'm not particularly enthused with.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I feel like in some cities a reporter might ask this question at this point in this disappointing season? To Poile, to Trotz, or write an editorial raising the question?

It's kind of funny how much we have to just wildly speculate about. Like, I'm assuming that Poile thought long and hard about whether to extend Hynes in those 10 days between our elimination and the announcement of the extension last May. Why extend for only 2 years if you are truly happy with the coach? You can't go just by what Poile says as a canned statement in the extension press conference, of course, it's understood he can only say Nice and Supportive Things at that point. But for all we really know, he never remotely considered not extending him and there is some other reasoning behind the 2 years, and for all we really know he is 100% supportive of everything Hynes is doing even now.

It's just weird that it's not even really a question that is being asked. Even while you know he'll try to dodge and Say The Right Things in carefully worded GMSpeak. Still, just watching him say them might allow for some attempt to read between the lines, or conversely might gave a sense of sincere support existing. Something would be better than nothing, anyway. :dunno:
The problem is the media treats the organization like their buddies, whether that is print or radio. Fans call in and raise questions and they will defend the organization like their life depends on in it. Poile does no wrong, Hynes is the greatest coach ever, even some of the players they couldn't fathom talking ill of.

There are times you need the local media to dig and ask the right question, they need to be the voice of the fans to the organization but we don't have that. The only avenue you have is Facebook or Twitter and then obviously just not tuning in or going to games. Even those the media have excuses for at this point.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Every team we play lately looks like the Globetrotters to our Washington Generals. My goodness, how do these teams find so many fast guys who can handle the puck. Our team speed must be at the league bottom.

Hynes has to go. If he doesn't, then we're not a serious franchise anymore. It's not so much our record, it's how we look. This is pre-2004 stuff. The owners must already be seeing this in their pocketbook. Lower attendance, less fan engagement, and leading toward no playoff game $$.

I have been as optimistic as any fan for decades. They're losing me. I still go to games. I still watch away games. I read this Board. But I've come grip with the reality: We are below average with limited upside. So now, we lose, and it doesn't affect me. In years past, last night's OT loss would have ruined my day today. Instead, I was over it in 5 minutes.

I don't want to "not care" but it's starting to happen, and I hate it. I just re-upped for 3 more years on my 6 full season tickets. I'm a Year One guy. The thought of cutting ties now crosses my mind. I won't act on it, but I think about it. Truth be told, going to games feels more like an obligation right now then a passion.

How did we get here? I trace it back to the impulsive Lavy firing after The Winter Classic. I'd take Lavy back in a NY-Minute. I'll take Trotzy 2.0. We have too many players in long term deals. We can't change them out. So either change the coach, the GM, or both. Please.
Eh the Lavy firing wasn't that impulsive, we had been talking about it coming for a while here. Actually alot of us were even surprised he made it into that season. Even with that Poile didn't want to fire Lavi, the guy he wanted gone was McCarthy, he was the one running the show and doing all of the X's and O's. Lavi basically refused to coach without McCarthy so Poile had no choice. They had lost the room, much like it seems Hynes has, and once that happens your season is shot unless you change coaches.

The Lavi firing was fine, it was the hiring of Hynes that was the mistake.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
The problem is the media treats the organization like their buddies, whether that is print or radio. Fans call in and raise questions and they will defend the organization like their life depends on in it. Poile does no wrong, Hynes is the greatest coach ever, even some of the players they couldn't fathom talking ill of.

There are times you need the local media to dig and ask the right question, they need to be the voice of the fans to the organization but we don't have that. The only avenue you have is Facebook or Twitter and then obviously just not tuning in or going to games. Even those the media have excuses for at this point.
102.5 has an agreement with the organization to be the “Flagship”. With that agreement comes responsibilities to promote the organization. (Why part of that agreement is not more daily discussion about the organization and the NHL is beyond me though). They even have one of the Predators broadcasters as an on air personality which means he can say nothing negative about the organization for fear of losing his job.
I’ve found that the 2-4 show on WNSR (The McFarland Show) speaks freely about the organization and has Daugherty on there some times.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Watching Oilers/Blues last night and it once again illustrated just how bad things are right now.

So this week the Oilers played 3 games against Central Division. Wild/Preds/Blues.

Against the Preds, we make them look like the 80's Gretzky Oilers. They look like the best offense in the history of hockey against our pathetic team.

But the Oilers ain't THAT good- they lost the other two games, which again just points out how embarrassing we are against them.

In their two games combined against Wild/Blues, the Oilers scored a total of 4 goals and were outshot 62-48.

Against the Preds?? They scored more goals (6) against us than the other two games combined. And almost as many SOG.

A COMPLETE EMBARRASSMENT. (And yes, I know our D was depleted, but that game was the same result over the past few years even at full strength.)

We have lost 5 in a row and next two are at Colorado and we host Edmonton AGAIN. That will be 7 losses in a row most likely.

But I am telling you right now if we let Edmonton roll in here on Monday and embarrass us again for crying out loud just shut the season down and fire everyone....

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Watching Oilers/Blues last night and it once again illustrated just how bad things are right now.

So this week the Oilers played 3 games against Central Division. Wild/Preds/Blues.

Against the Preds, we make them look like the 80's Gretzky Oilers. They look like the best offense in the history of hockey against our pathetic team.

But the Oilers ain't THAT good- they lost the other two games, which again just points out how embarrassing we are against them.

In their two games combined against Wild/Blues, the Oilers scored a total of 4 goals and were outshot 62-48.

Against the Preds?? They scored more goals (6) against us than the other two games combined. And almost as many SOG.

A COMPLETE EMBARRASSMENT. (And yes, I know our D was depleted, but that game was the same result over the past few years even at full strength.)

We have lost 5 in a row and next two are at Colorado and we host Edmonton AGAIN. That will be 7 losses in a row most likely.

But I am telling you right now if we let Edmonton roll in here on Monday and embarrass us again for crying out loud just shut the season down and fire everyone....
It is not that surprising. Look at goalie matchups against the Preds this year after the he first day 10 games. Every chance the opponents have they run there back up goalie out against the Preds. Be it B2B or just a normal game the league sees the team struggling and they steal rest for there starter.
The Oilers remain a team with terrible defense and suspect goaltending same music over the last decade and half.

You have always been a glass half full guy but you are trending to the dark side too. The roster and pipeline are settled to near empty now. The team is past time for a rebuild now. Shuffling for one more playoff appearance looks to be done now too. The worst part is gone are the players that could have been moved to restock left are salaries with term that no GM wants to touch leaving the only option suckage for 5 years or so to draft high then the gamble if those drafted will make it in the league. The pain is probably going to be real for some time. A coaching change would do fans mind good but Scotty Bowman could not take this roster deep.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
102.5 has an agreement with the organization to be the “Flagship”. With that agreement comes responsibilities to promote the organization. (Why part of that agreement is not more daily discussion about the organization and the NHL is beyond me though). They even have one of the Predators broadcasters as an on air personality which means he can say nothing negative about the organization for fear of losing his job.
I’ve found that the 2-4 show on WNSR (The McFarland Show) speaks freely about the organization and has Daugherty on there some times.
And I think it’s totally fair that the club employees do that, other markets have that component also. (Although they shouldn’t critically engage with fans as we recently saw.). It might occasionally annoy us in the moment when it gets a little “over the top” but I think we ultimately understand and accept that component.

Maybe I just don’t look hard enough for that other more critical non-employee component… I’m not really into the modern media formats…. This place is about as online as I can manage. So I overcompensate here.
. :dunce:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Well we are in an interesting position. A regulation win against the avs tonight would put us 2 points out of the 2nd wild card spot.

We are also 25th in the nhl and just 1 point over 27th granted we have played less games so wed have to lose 3 in a row without getting points just to be on even footing with them. I think 27th is as low as we can get given the teams below that. Gives a decent lottery shot i reckon.

What i forsee happening is us doing pretty bad until McDonagh and carrier get back. Then doing slightly better afterwarda and ending up right around the 2nd wildcard.

Reactions: BigFatCat999

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Well we are in an interesting position. A regulation win against the avs tonight would put us 2 points out of the 2nd wild card spot.

We are also 25th in the nhl and just 1 point over 27th granted we have played less games so wed have to lose 3 in a row without getting points just to be on even footing with them. I think 27th is as low as we can get given the teams below that. Gives a decent lottery shot i reckon.

What i forsee happening is us doing pretty bad until McDonagh and carrier get back. Then doing slightly better afterwarda and ending up right around the 2nd wildcard.
rooting for a L- we are also only 2 games back of being the 3rd worst team in the nhl which would give us a good shot at a top 5 pcick plus will help the accelerate of Hynes’ termination

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
rooting for a L- we are also only 2 games back of being the 3rd worst team in the nhl which would give us a good shot at a top 5 pcick plus will help the accelerate of Hynes’ termination
I hate watching the team lose yet weve been sitting at a fringe playoff team for a couple seasons. I wouldn't mind a year or two of being bad enough for a high pick... i just dont think we can do it with the team we got unless hynes is THAT bad of a coach

We're closer to the bottom than the top points wise. According to the eye test as well.
Dont have to get to the top to make playoffs... just the middle.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Well I can’t actively cheer for losses or a higher draft pick… YET… because a coaching change Hail Mary is still (barely) possible. So that’s what I’ll cheer for… for another couple weeks anyway… then I might be forced to re-evaluate. :(

Reactions: weeze

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
We're closer to the bottom than the top points wise. According to the eye test as well.
Being in this position
I'd honestly see if Tampa wants McD retained. Dude has looked uninterested in playing for us since he got here.
The honest answer is most certainly yes Tampa would love the guy but even retained the cap situation will not provide a situation it could happen. Mac fits a team wher he is not looked at to score. The Bolts have Heddy and Sergi there they have ,Cernak to play top 4 with them and then there’s a void that Mac left. Mac is as good as any defenseman in the league defensively that does not really fit in the Preds needs. Since Ellis production fall there has been a hole that needed to be filled. With Mac and Ekholm filling the defense role in the top two pairs Josi and player X were to be the scoring dmen. X has not been identified clearly.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

Preds modus operandi for a half decade

Reactions: cool beans

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'd honestly see if Tampa wants McD retained. Dude has looked uninterested in playing for us since he got here.
I mean he was starting to play pretty solid right before he got hurt. He's human, you can't blame the guy for not really wanting to make that move. I doubt he moved the family and if you buy in it's still going to have an affect whether you want it too or not.

That said ever retained I don't think Tampa could take him. They already spent that space.

Reactions: cool beans

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
It’s sorta like this:
First you lose games
Then you lose the interest of some players
Then you lose the room
Then begins the loyal fan base loss
Preds seem to be checking all those boxes
This is the first time that I think Poile knows the problem and is letting the franchise down stubbornly. My man, my hire, my coach!

Reactions: predhead1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad