Predators Hockey Discussion 22-23

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I hate to do it like this but Afanasyev and Parssinen are waiver exempt and glass isnt so glass might get priority when it comes to roster spots as he might be a easy waiver target due to draft pedigree and performance in the ahl last season.
This. Training camps are short. Teams don’t want to lose assets for nothing. Those guys are likely just going to have to keep it going in Milwaukee and if they do then we’ll still see them… at some point, just not opening night.

Poile did good work setting the table. It’s actually going to be bad news for us if those waiver-exempt guys make the team… because it probably means we have injuries to others.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
This may be the wrong thread. Sorry if it is. But what’s up with the Preds Web Site? I watched(as long as I could) on the Hurricanes Web Site. The Preds web site did not have the “connection button” by 9:00am as advertised by them. It gave no indication of a delayed start. I went on over to the Hurricanes site which was ready and occasionally announcing a delay. Then after the game when I was looking for a result I found out on these boards. Nothing on the Preds site until about 3:00pm or so.
Bottom line-Local media does not cover the Preds well. So, Preds need to get their web content together. They need to be FIRST on all Preds news and announcements. Why not? They’ve got people responsible for this. What else are they doing?

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Not to be a wet blanket, but the level of competition in this tournament is lower than your average AHL game. It's nice the guys we were hoping to look good largely looked good, but I'm not sure how much of this really proves anyone is NHL ready. Now they've got to keep looking good in camp and if they don't make opening night roster perform in the AHL so they are next man up when the opportunity arises.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
This. Training camps are short. Teams don’t want to lose assets for nothing. Those guys are likely just going to have to keep it going in Milwaukee and if they do then we’ll still see them… at some point, just not opening night.

Poile did good work setting the table. It’s actually going to be bad news for us if those waiver-exempt guys make the team… because it probably means we have injuries to others.
We haven't seen the rest of the team yet. Also the level of competition is lower.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019

I hear you and understand the waiver thingy. But I don’t particularly like this “go through Milwaukee” thing of the Preds. It is boderline obsessive. But please don’t get me wrong. These are youngsters at rookie camp. Long time till final rosters and a lot of camp and competition. But it is encouraging. Don’t remember so much potential talent.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I have to believe time is running thin on Tolvanen. He doesn’t have a spot in the top-six, he’s not part of the Herd and I don’t think you get the best out of him on the 4th line. Hynes is moving towards a bigger lineup, especially in the bottom-six and Tolvanen doesn't fit that bill either.

He needs to have a dynamite camp.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoldOnGold

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I have to believe time is running thin on Tolvanen. He doesn’t have a spot in the top-six, he’s not part of the Herd and I don’t think you get the best out of him on the 4th line. Hynes is moving towards a bigger lineup, especially in the bottom-six and Tolvanen doesn't fit that bill either.

I'd agree. He's climbing the list for trade target. I could see Poile moving him for another need or younger prospect.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Which players on 1-way NHL contracts were sent to Milwaukee in training camp last year?
Who said he sent them during camp?

BTW, Rem Pitlick was waived on October 4th, right after camp. Grimaldi was given 7 games and then let go, I think he was given a bit extra time because of his experience level and he wasn't actually being pushed by anyone.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

I would agree, and I feel the same way about Glass. They both need to perform this season, early.

Also, while I do think Fabbro is better than Carrier, he needs to take the next step. They're close in performance and Fabbro makes 3 times more money.

Some other things I was thinking about this morning.

Sanford 6'4" 206 lbs,
Afanasyev 6'4" 211 lbs
Glass 6'3" 206 lbs.
Parssinen 6'3" 212 lbs
Nurmi 6'5" 206 lbs.

All these guys are skilled and very large. Imagine a combo of these guys following up the herd line.

Spencer Stastney looked smooth, he played mostly on the right side from what I saw yesterday. I think he could be paired with Del Gaizo in Milwaukee next season, will be interesting to see those 2 grow. On the front I think Wilsby could be paired with Prokop. I do think the Ads will be as talented as they've been this season. Prokop is a big dude that can skate, much like Ekholm was when he first broke in.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I would agree, and I feel the same way about Glass. They both need to perform this season, early.

Also, while I do think Fabbro is better than Carrier, he needs to take the next step. They're close in performance and Fabbro makes 3 times more money.

Some other things I was thinking about this morning.

Sanford 6'4" 206 lbs,
Afanasyev 6'4" 211 lbs
Glass 6'3" 206 lbs.
Parssinen 6'3" 212 lbs
Nurmi 6'5" 206 lbs.

All these guys are skilled and very large. Imagine a combo of these guys following up the herd line.

Spencer Stastney looked smooth, he played mostly on the right side from what I saw yesterday. I think he could be paired with Del Gaizo in Milwaukee next season, will be interesting to see those 2 grow. On the front I think Wilsby could be paired with Prokop. I do think the Ads will be as talented as they've been this season. Prokop is a big dude that can skate, much like Ekholm was when he first broke in.
One thing i think could be interesting is put glass with trenin and jeannot and have more offensive flair on that line then parssinen and nurmi with sissons and have a physically imposing more defensive line

Reactions: triggrman

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Tolvanen will be an interesting one because although his contract is reasonable we're going to be in a situation next offseason where every dollar counts too. The ~$500k or so we would save by replacing him with a guy on an ELC might actually be important.

Reactions: Scoresberg

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
One thing i think could be interesting is put glass with trenin and jeannot and have more offensive flair on that line then parssinen and nurmi with sissons and have a physically imposing more defensive line
It's interesting to see all the options for sure.

Tolvanen will be an interesting one because although his contract is reasonable we're going to be in a situation next offseason where every dollar counts too. The ~$500k or so we would save by replacing him with a guy on an ELC might actually be important.
Same with Fabbro right? Now we don't have as much depth on defense, especially with right handed defensemen (I think this is overplayed a bit though).

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Who said he sent them during camp?

BTW, Rem Pitlick was waived on October 4th, right after camp. Grimaldi was given 7 games and then let go, I think he was given a bit extra time because of his experience level and he wasn't actually being pushed by anyone.
Well that's kind of the whole point, though. Pitlick was a 2-way contract and Grimaldi was waived in November. A waiver-exempt guy (not named Tomasino) making the team out of camp this year is a tall order. They can have fanstastic camps, like Afanaseyev did last year, but Grimaldi/Sanford/McCarron types are still more likely to stick at the end of the day. Barring injuries it's probably going to take them a little more time.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Well that's kind of the whole point, though. Pitlick was a 2-way contract and Grimaldi was waived in November. A waiver-exempt guy (not named Tomasino) making the team out of camp this year is a tall order. They can have fanstastic camps, like Afanaseyev did last year, but Grimaldi/Sanford/McCarron types are still more likely to stick at the end of the day. Barring injuries it's probably going to take them a little more time.
I wouldn't' group Sanford in with those other 2. I also don't agree, if Afanaseyev wins a spot, he'll get it.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I wouldn't' group Sanford in with those other 2. I also don't agree, if Afanaseyev wins a spot, he'll get it.
All we're saying is that to "win a spot" he has to basically leap tall buildings to do it. On a fully healthy team, he's going to have to basically be our best forward in camp. He can't do it just by being a little bit better than Glass or McCarron.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Who do you guys see as players that might be traded this season?

I posted earlier but I think Fabbro could be moved because of his contract, and on the same token, I think Trenin. I like Trenin I want him here but Poile seems to trade guys that have tougher negotiations, like Fiala. Wasn't this Trenin's 2nd tougher negotiation?

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Who do you guys see as players that might be traded this season?

I posted earlier but I think Fabbro could be moved because of his contract, and on the same token, I think Trenin. I like Trenin I want him here but Poile seems to trade guys that have tougher negotiations, like Fiala. Wasn't this Trenin's 2nd tougher negotiation?
I don't see an in season trade for any of our younger guys as particularly likely unless we package them as part of a deal to get a top six upgrade. However, this offseason I'd guess one or two of Trenin, Tolvanen, Fabbro, and Carrier will be on their way out. Tough for me to guess who stays and who goes as of now, because I think it depends a lot on how this season goes. I do feel like Trenin is definitely gone after this contract so it's a matter if you ride it out and lose him as a free agent or try and get some value back out.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don't see an in season trade for any of our younger guys as particularly likely unless we package them as part of a deal to get a top six upgrade. However, this offseason I'd guess one or two of Trenin, Tolvanen, Fabbro, and Carrier will be on their way out. Tough for me to guess who stays and who goes as of now, because I think it depends a lot on how this season goes. I do feel like Trenin is definitely gone after this contract so it's a matter if you ride it out and lose him as a free agent or try and get some value back out.
Agreed it depends mostly on how the season goes... both for the individual players and the team as a whole. I wouldn't anticipate a mid-season trade, but who knows what injuries or twists and turns the season might take. If we are contenders... we have just enough cap space to load up a little once that is pro-rated to the Trade Deadline. If we suck... there is a Cap crunch coming next summer and if the right deal is out there maybe it will make more sense to address those issues also near the Trade Deadline.

Trenin for the contract hassles and the fact that he'll be a UFA at the end of his deal seems like a candidate, as does Carrier who is in line for a big raise we can't afford next summer. Or if Niederreiter doesn't pan out and we suck, moving his deal at the deadline would be one fairly painless way of dealing with next summer's impending crunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad