GDT: Draft Day GDT -- Sabres current picks: 14, 42, 71, 108, 123, 172, 204, 219

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The only thing that makes me open to the Necas deal is that all of the other good teams with room for him seems to be interested as well. They seem to see untapped upside.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Adams might be able to swing one big deal with Carolina.

Necas, Kotkaniemi, and Drury at the same time?

11th overall, Rosen, Jokiharju, and a 2nd?
I'd do this one in a heartbeat too. I want Drury badly. This could be one of those trades where we camouflage our actual target in him by going after Necas.

I imagine Krebs would be in the package if CAR is sending two B6 centers our way (which does seem far-fetched unless they're looking to completely overhaul).

11, Joki, Krebs, Rosen?

Then go sign a veteran 3D, a 2LW, and a banger 4W. Tidy off-season.

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch
xxxx-Cozens-Necas
Benson-Kotkaniemi-Quinn
xxxx-Drury-Greenway

Power-Dahlin
Byram-Samuelsson
xxxx-Clifton

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'd do this one in a heartbeat too. I want Drury badly. This could be one of those trades where we camouflage our actual target in him by going after Necas.

I imagine Krebs would be in the package if CAR is sending two B6 centers our way (which does seem far-fetched unless they're looking to completely overhaul).

11, Joki, Krebs, Rosen?

Then go sign a veteran 3D, a 2LW, and a banger 4W. Tidy off-season.

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch
xxxx-Cozens-Necas
Benson-Kotkaniemi-Quinn
xxxx-Drury-Greenway

Power-Dahlin
Byram-Samuelsson
xxxx-Clifton
I do not see why that trade works for the Canes.

They likely want 11+Rosen for Necas. So, they give up Kotkaniemi and Drury for Jokiharju and Krebs? I would be surprised if they were interested in something like that.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo

They likely want 11+Rosen for Necas. So, they give up Kotkaniemi and Drury for Jokiharju and Krebs? I would be surprised if they were interested in something like that.
It may be a little light from our side, sure. Just spitballing.

Though I think Joki > Kotkaniemi by a fair margin when contract is considered. Probably enough to balance Drury > Krebs. But we could throw in a 2025 2nd.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
1719491743984.png

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Hm... lots of conflicting reports. 7.5M didn't seem bad at all. 8.5+ would be ROUGH.
It is not conflicting reports as much as changing the length of the deal and seeing what the EH model spits out.

AFP has him getting 7x$7.5M or 3x$6.2M.

The $8M+ was on an 8 year deal using EH's model.

I guess it depends on what trade protections he wants. I’d make sure the first four years have no restrictions
The challenge is that Necas and his agent have the Sabres over a barrel after a big trade for the player.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Hm... lots of conflicting reports. 7.5M didn't seem bad at all. 8.5+ would be ROUGH.
7.5 mil on a long-term deal for a offense-only winger...60-70 pt guy...is not necessarily "bad", but it sure doesn't jive with the notion of being a Skinner replacement, or with the TT/Cozens contracts, or being a tough playoff team. Then throw in the trade cost aspect. None of it makes sense until you think about him being a target for the Sabres.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
7.5 mil on a long-term deal for a offense-only winger...60-70 pt guy...is not necessarily "bad", but it sure doesn't jive with the notion of being a Skinner replacement, or with the TT/Cozens contracts, or being a tough playoff team. Then throw in the trade cost aspect. None of it makes sense until you think about him being a target for the Sabres.
The challenge is that he only has one season of 55+ points and one season of 25+ goals (and no seasons of 30+ goals).

For his career, he has averaged 22 goals, 33 assists, and 55 points per 82 games played.

Given that he does not bring much defensively or physically, I am not optimistic about this move if it happens.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The challenge is that Necas and his agent have the Sabres over a barrel after a big trade for the player.
He’s actually not under contract for next year, right? So it’s different than the Skinner trade, and different from Konecny, Ehlers, et al. I assumed Adams would negotiate that contract before agreeing to the trade.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Sign and trade would be higher value assets back the other way. I'm not sure I see KA making this deal without a deal in place. That alone makes me bearish on this happening at all.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020

It only makes sense if they view Kotkaniemi as a cap dump. He's definitely overpaid for what he's been producing.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

He’s actually not under contract for next year, right? So it’s different than the Skinner trade, and different from Konecny, Ehlers, et al. I assumed Adams would negotiate that contract before agreeing to the trade.
Necas is an RFA this offseason.

That is assuming that Carolina gives them permission to talk to the agent. I don't see any reports that that has happened.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Hm not sure I like Necas (dzone, not physical), I rather would like them to keep the 11th unless its for a more suiting player.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

That is assuming that Carolina gives them permission to talk to the agent. I don't see any reports that that has happened.
I don’t see anyone giving up a treasure trove of assets if they are’t able to discuss contract first. RFA or not, that basically never happens if the player isn’t signed for a single game (not in-season) and isn’t always reported on beforehand.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

The Wahlman thing is so bizarre- he missed the last 15 games or so for undisclosed reasons, and the joking chatter was that he slept with someone’s wife. Now he’s jettisoned to SJ, pretty much everyone’s last pick these days- just weird.

At least one poster was like “what, you don’t think Yzerman shopped him around?” And it’s like.. ya, idk what to say, all evidence suggests exactly that. It was an awful trade, completely unforced error, and it needs explanation.

As bad as we are, at least we haven’t done that. Lately, or exactly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad