HF Habs: Copa America 2024 | QFs: Canada vs Venezuela, Fri. July 5, 9 p.m. | TSN, CTV2, RDS, FOX ||| Euro 2024 (TSN, TSN+, TVA Sports)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Decided to start watching Canada good work but man what a long second half. :skeptic:
I was thinking if that Italian game in the group stage was 8 minutes of added time this was about 10. :laugh:
It would have been nice to score but the result is everything.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
canada still not playing their best. the back 4 has been the best part, but when osorio is your best mid fielder we are not going to cause any damage on the field. I thought buchannon looked really good after he come on the field. Larin does nothing if he isn't scoring.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
canada still not playing their best. the back 4 has been the best part, but when osorio is your best mid fielder we are not going to cause any damage on the field. I thought buchannon looked really good after he come on the field. Larin does nothing if he isn't scoring.

Yes, the back four have been excellent along with Crepeau. I thought Buchanan was a terrific sub. Shaffelburg also had a strong game. Mid-field is an issue.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
History made and Canada moves on...but a nervy effort a man up. Is that Marsch's tactics or a nervous, young team. Probably bit of both.
It looks like Canada thinks they're playing in Europe with Euro refs instead of a a UFC octagon surrounded by an actual zoo.
The lack of urgency especially in the midfield, bothers me and lack of pace up top to finish too.
Davies still trying to dribble 5 guys.
Eustaquio not very convincing.
Canada's needs a midfielder who can unlock tight defences.
Larin invisible. Why aren't they trying Bair?
There's no place for Millar on this roster.
such a dumb player.
Lareya shouldn't play up front.
that being said, super proud of advancing and learning how to play in front of and in so much tension and shithousery

Tajon's best appearance in a while. I'm glad that Marsch is playing the players who are in form. A little internal competition will bring out the best of the group
he finally looked good!

Last edited:

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
100%. they need midfielders who are going to f***ing hold the ball. That's the entire reason this game was even close

Canada is likely to play Venezuela in QFs.
and they have a chance too

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

RandR

May 15, 2011
This was some drama due to the situation, but not much because nobody scored and there weren't a heck of lot of close chances. Far too much of the game was about whether some tackle or another deserved a card or not (it seemed as if that was all they had to talk about during the half-time break).

Great result for Canada though... it's a step.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
History made and Canada moves on...but a terrible effort a man up. Is that Marsch's tactics or a nervous, young team. Probably bit of both.
It looks like Canada thinks they're playing in Europe with Euro refs instead of a a UFC octagon surrounded by an actual zoo.
The lack of urgency especially in the midfield, bothers me and lack of pace up top to finish too.
Davies still trying to dribble 5 guys.
Eustaquio not very convincing.
Larin invisible. Why aren't they trying Bair?
There's no place for Millar on this roster.
such a dumb player.
Lareya shouldn't play up front.
that being said, super proud of advancing and learning how to play in front of and in so much tension and shithousery
They do need to crank up the dog in them, this is very much the tournament to go a bit dirty, the other teams sure won't mind doing it to us. They need to go in there with an agressive, thug attitude.

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Tomorrow's games

Euros: ROUND of 16

12 p.m.: England vs Slovakia
3 p.m.: Spain vs Georgia

Copa America: Game 3 of Group

8 p.m.: Mexico vs Ecuador
8 p.m.: Jamaica vs Venezuela

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
it's funny, in the world cup, our d was beyond bad, but they have improved leaps and bounds.

the forward group does well with what they're given, but the midfield just doesn't seem to have the legs to control the field. hard to watch. I guess Davies was good, but he still is better a wingback. I would like to see a 4-5-1 with how poor they're in the middle of the field. I think David can play up front on his own with davies and laryea on the outside as wingers. 3 in the middle to tighten it up with buchanan osorio and eustaquio.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
it's funny, in the world cup, our d was beyond bad, but they have improved leaps and bounds.

the forward group does well with what they're given, but the midfield just doesn't seem to have the legs to control the field. hard to watch. I guess Davies was good, but he still is better a wingback. I would like to see a 4-5-1 with how poor they're in the middle of the field. I think David can play up front on his own with davies and laryea on the outside as wingers. 3 in the middle to tighten it up with buchanan osorio and eustaquio.
No idea why he left Kone on the bench. Yeah i know he's been bad but they could've used his pace. Osario is a statue

Reactions: atrud66

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
No idea why he left Kone on the bench. Yeah i know he's been bad but they could've used his pace. Osario is a statue

I wish we played to the strengths of the team. feels like the system trumps the guys he has on the team. Davies is the best athelete and I think david has the most talent.

I think cmnt is better than what we've been watching lately. I wish I could celebrate getting into the next round, but they were up a man in the final two games, and looked blah and probably deserved a tie vs peru but canada's goalie was incredible in all 3 games.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I wish we played to the strengths of the team. feels like the system trumps the guys he has on the team. Davies is the best athelete and I think david has the most talent.

I think cmnt is better than what we've been watching lately. I wish I could celebrate getting into the next round, but they were up a man in the final two games, and looked blah and probably deserved a tie vs peru but canada's goalie was incredible in all 3 games.

I don't know even know if the players know the system that well yet. Marsch came in and boom, friendlies against the Dutch, France, then real matches against Argentina, Peru and Chile.

It must be a whirlwind.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
As somebody who has played soccer most of my life (and who has two kids playing), it's almost surreal to see Canada start to compete in these types of tournaments. We've always had a good quantity of amateur players (even more now) but it's the structure that just wasn't in place to help develop the talent. We're now starting to see that structure and it's beginning to pay off.

Obviously it's far from perfect with the Soccer Canada scandal, and the sometimes it's not "pretty" on the field, but we're getting there. I would love to see more creativity in the attacking zone, but that will come with time as we start adding more talented players.

All that to say that we've "arrived" to a point where we can be disappointed when we don't get results against some of the mid-top tier teams, but with some of these results we're really entering an era of Canadian soccer that we've never seen before.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
They do need to crank up the dog in them, this is very much the tournament to go a bit dirty, the other teams sure won't mind doing it to us. They need to go in there with an agressive, thug attitude.
Argentina, Peru and Chile managers all mentioned how physical Canada are. Peru and Chile managers specifically pre game mentioned how they were concerned with how "dirty" we play. Things got really out of hand in the Chile game but it's a fine line between cranking up the dog and making stupid tackles or silly physical plays just because

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad