Rumor: Pagnotta: Flames are exploring trade market on Nazem Kadri

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I bet it's going something like this:

Calgary: " hi [insert team here] would you be interested in trading for Nazem Kadri?"

Literally every single team: "LOL no" *click*

Reactions: JKG33

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
A 75 point 2C has value. No matter the age. With a rising cap, he can move down the lineup if he tails off and still be valuable. The problem is, he has the most value to a team that maybe on the cusp. He can veto a trade to anyone which makes it harder to find a dance partner. He would make a ton of sense in Buffalo or Chicago for instance. Question is would he want to go there.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Is Dreger really this gullible? The guy who specifically stated he doesn't want to go through a deep dark rebuild, is most definitely the one asking for a trade. It's not the Flames, it's Kadri.

Reactions: JKG33

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yeah. He was really good last season. If a GM thinks he can do that for a couple more seasons and they got a two year window I could see them trading for him.

Worth mentioning the cap hit from a buyout in 2 years isn't too severe, especially with the rising cap.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
A 75 point 2C has value. No matter the age. With a rising cap, he can move down the lineup if he tails off and still be valuable. The problem is, he has the most value to a team that maybe on the cusp. He can veto a trade to anyone which makes it harder to find a dance partner. He would make a ton of sense in Buffalo or Chicago for instance. Question is would he want to go there.

This.

I don't get the sense that he's likely to be overly restrictive on his NMC given the way the team is going.... but he can be a tough fit.

Calgary's already retaining on Markstrom for 2 years -- that's a fairly easy sell. Retaining on Kadri for 5?? a much tougher pill to swallow.

At $5 to $5.5m, I think there would be a lineup of good teams parting with valuable pieces to add him. At $7m, the contract isn't HORRIBLE considering he's coming off a pretty good year, but teams will be weary of him regressing back to his first year in Calagary, or even a little below his career average which is a ~57 point pace.

I suspect the deal for Kadri is one that doesn't involve retention, and instead a guy with 2-3 years left on a bad deal, plus meaningful assets. Jack Campbell would be an interesting option and make for some really interesting storylines. Jeff Skinner, but I don't think he's going to Buffalo.

Ledge And Dairy

Your statement is pretty contradictory. While the premise of your statement is correct your choice in teams is not really. Teams on the cusp and in need of top 6 centers are teams like Carolina, Boston, and Winnipeg. Not Buffalo, and certainly not Chicago

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Your statement is pretty contradictory. While the premise of your statement is correct your choice in teams is not really. Teams on the cusp and in need of top 6 centers are teams like Carolina, Boston, and Winnipeg. Not Buffalo, and certainly not Chicago
Perhaps cusp was the wrong choice of word. I meant a team that wasn’t already established or a perennial playoff team. Many of those already have a 2 C in place. As you correctly point out there are some that could use that help but may not have the cap to add without a significant dump going the other way. I think Buffalo Chicago Ottawa to a certain extent could use the addition to the lineup and would not necessarily need retention or a cap dump going the other way. The return for Kadri could be higher. He would accelerate the growth of those teams exponentially. Whether he wants that at this point is another question as he controls his situation.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Then he’ll stay a Flame. His contract will suck at the end but the buyout isn’t bad and he played super well
Yes, the Flames will need Kadri as a tank commander as they finish bottom 5 in the league for the next few years.

No need to trade him away.

Ledge And Dairy

Perhaps cusp was the wrong choice of word. I meant a team that wasn’t already established or a perennial playoff team. Many of those already have a 2 C in place. As you correctly point out there are some that could use that help but may not have the cap to add without a significant dump going the other way. I think Buffalo Chicago Ottawa to a certain extent could use the addition to the lineup and would not necessarily need retention or a cap dump going the other way. The return for Kadri could be higher. He would accelerate the growth of those teams exponentially. Whether he wants that at this point is another question as he controls his situation.
I just can't really see a team that isn't within their 3 year window going for Kadri.

Conroy has said he has no issue taking on cap

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I just can't really see a team that isn't within their 3 year window going for Kadri.

Conroy has said he has no issue taking on cap
Maybe not but as a Sabres fan he would immediately solve two problems for us. Slotting him at 2C pushes Cozens down into a matchup role that he performs well and pushes Krebs down to 4C where he is serviceable. Kadri can also play up in a pinch in case of injury like Mitts did and the drop off is less acute. He also brings grit to the top 6. Buffalo missed two years in a row on the margins and I think Kadri could be that difference. Note I am a lone wolf on this from a fan perspective as most Sabres fans are preoccupied with Cap flexibility in the future to pay for yet to be seen “needed raises” from a team that can’t seem to find a way into the post season. I do not worry about paying a core until they show they are in fact a core capable of finishing in the top half of a league where half the teams make the playoffs. Funny in that way I guess.

Ledge And Dairy

Maybe not but as a Sabres fan he would immediately solve two problems for us. Slotting him at 2C pushes Cozens down into a matchup role that he performs well and pushes Krebs down to 4C where he is serviceable. Kadri can also play up in a pinch in case of injury like Mitts did and the drop off is less acute. He also brings grit to the top 6. Buffalo missed two years in a row on the margins and I think Kadri could be that difference. Note I am a lone wolf on this from a fan perspective as most Sabres fans are preoccupied with Cap flexibility in the future to pay for yet to be seen “needed raises” from a team that can’t seem to find a way into the post season. I do not worry about paying a core until they show they are in fact a core capable of finishing in the top half of a league where half the teams make the playoffs. Funny in that way I guess.
I think you are targeting the wrong thing for the Sabres here, while Kadri does play a gritty style that they would probably like, they really need some defensively reliable players in their top 9. Krebs is ok defensively but is still developing, and Benson put up some decent defensive numbers too but he was playing pretty sheltered minutes. If the age and term of Kadri doesn't bother you I would look into Couturier or Couture

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I think you are targeting the wrong thing for the Sabres here, while Kadri does play a gritty style that they would probably like, they really need some defensively reliable players in their top 9. Krebs is ok defensively but is still developing, and Benson put up some decent defensive numbers too but he was playing pretty sheltered minutes. If the age and term of Kadri doesn't bother you I would look into Couturier or Couture
Couture’s injury history scares me more and Couts while still productive doesn’t feel like he will age as well. Defense can be added on the wings with the right mix. Greenway, Cozens, Benson, Malenstein, Tuch and to a certain extent Quinn can be defensive minded players. I want the O Kadri generates and we can surround him with young guns. It is a pipe dream but I think Kadri would be a good fit for a few years while Helenius and Ostlund develop.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Is Dreger really this gullible? The guy who specifically stated he doesn't want to go through a deep dark rebuild, is most definitely the one asking for a trade. It's not the Flames, it's Kadri.
Kadri sits out in free agency for a month because he wants so much money that only shitty teams are stupid enough to sign him. Now a couple years later he's mad that the team is shitty? Sounds pretty on brand for him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad