The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
What is the list of potential summer C trades? That's the real hole still. Kulich, Savoie and Rosen are actually excellent top 9 wing depth, not every team has guys like that chomping at the bit to get a shot in case of injury.

Colton, Kadri, Frost/Cates/Laughton, who else?

Henrique is still out there, and I think he can still be a quite serviceable 3C. Zegras is out there, but is he an actual center?

I still wonder about one of VGK's centers (specifically Karlsson or Roy) being put out there.

Faksa might be available, but is he a 3C or strictly a 4C?

Reactions: HOOats

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I'm not trying to sound like a smart-ass when I say that we win when we win. It's an impossible question to firmly answer as there's no crystal ball.

I don't think Pegula/KA/etc are actively trying to not win. I do believe that they think that they're trying to win. It'll happen, eventually. Maybe this year. Maybe next. Maybe 29/30. Who knows.
I had a response typed but I am just going to let it go because this isn't the thread for it. I'll just say I am tired of the team not winning and I am tired of being told I am the asshole for being upset about it.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Henrique is still out there, and I think he can still be a quite serviceable 3C. Zegras is out there, but is he an actual center?

I still wonder about one of VGK's centers (specifically Karlsson or Roy) being put out there.

Faksa is a career high of 20 points; I don't think he's a viable 3C option.

I still would offer Kotkaniemi as a great option. He's buy-low, and he's low-risk given the two-year 1/3 buyout window.

Reactions: Fjordy

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
problem now is That if they cant start compete and reach the playoffs next season soon our guys like Thompson and cozens are like in 2 years only 4 years away from Ufa . We need to be good soon . Fire Adams if they arent in a playoff spot 25 games Into the season . He need to start making some better moves in trades. His talking dont reflex his actions in the players he Said he looking for . Trade next years first and something for impact player

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
I dont see why these 1 years contract would help . They still need to fix the roster next summer again for longer term. Many moves are just temporarily. A 5 mil 1 year zucker, we still need someone else next summer. Same with the 1 years with 4 line players

Adams need to do the changes that give us the chance compete for the stanley cup

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I dont see why these 1 years contract would help . They still need to fix the roster next summer again for longer term. Many moves are just temporarily. A 5 mil 1 year zucker, we still need someone else next summer. Same with the 1 years with 4 line players
There should by multiple graduations by prospects for next summet

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I have no idea what you're talking about.

SmartSelect_20240701_205909_Google.jpg

blackrock

Feb 8, 2007
Sabres Tenure List:

UPL - 2017 Draft, 54th
*Bryson - 2017 Draft, 99th
Dahlin - 2018 Draft, 1st
Samuelsson - 2018 Draft, 32nd
Thompson - 2018 Trade, 7/1
Cozens - 2019 Draft, 7th
*Johnson - 2019 Daft, 31st
*Rousek - 2019 Draft, 160th
Jokiharju - 2019 Trade, 7/9
Quinn - 2020 Draft, 8th
Peterka - 2020 Draft, 34th
Power - 2021 Draft, 1st
*Rosen - 2021 Draft, 14th
Levi - 2021 Trad, 7/24
Tuch - 2021 Trade 11/4
Krebs - 2021 Trade 11/4
*Savoie - 2022 Draft, 9th
*Ostlund - 2022 Draft, 16th
*Kulich - 2022 Draft, 28th
Greenway - 2023 Trade, 3/3
Benson - 2023 Draft, 13th
Clifton - 2023 FA, 7/1
Byram - 2024 Trade, 3/6
*Helenius - 2024 Draft, 14th
Malenstyn - 2024 Trade, 6/29
Zucker - 2024 FA, 7/1
Lafferty - 2024 FA, 7/1
Aube-Kubel - 2024 FA, 7/1
*Gilbert - 2024 FA, 7/1

* Roster status uncertain (I tried to be over-inclusive).

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I was just pointing out the irony of a bunch of people who choose not to live in Buffalo for various reasons acting like it's preposterous for Adams to describe his difficulty convincing people to live in Buffalo. Tempted to answer all your questions, but I'll pass.
That's cold, bruh. I have plans to move back, but I'm LTIR.

Plus points for correct use of "irony".

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

This is really captures some of the stupidity of today. Adams made more comments on the subject after that. He talked about laying out your plans to the player and what you hoped to do, etc. But once it’s clear they don’t want to come here you move on. Which is , you know, perfectly normal and what you would expect.

I’m continually amazed at the utter nonsense spewed feeding this never ending rage cycle. Sabres twitter is a cesspool of garbage more often than not. EDIT: And Ben is hardly that bad. But this take was ….

I gotta say after I listened to the presser I had to really roll my eyes at how everyone had reacted to and presented what he said. I went in ready to take a dump all over him. Some of what he said was a bit obnoxious. I don't exactly have confidence that he is gonna address the need to upgrade at least one of Krebs and/or top 6 wing but nothing he said implies he is any less likely to than before.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
When are we allowed to get there? Or is this considered too much complaining? Am I a spoiled child as well for daring to ask such a question? Or wait! Am I even allowed to have an opinion since I am one of those jerks who apparently chooses to live outside of buffalo? I mean that makes it partially my fault others won't live in Buffalo, right?

I was just pointing out the irony of a bunch of people who choose not to live in Buffalo for various reasons acting like it's preposterous for Adams to describe his difficulty convincing people to live in Buffalo. Tempted to answer all your questions, but I'll pass.
I moved out 30 yrs ago

I have nothing bad to say about buffalo

The issue has to do with sabres missing the playoffs

Hes actually being a snsrt abd not wanting to take on an anchor contract

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
EDIT: The following is not about you specifically because you’re not like that.

I’ll blame it on the posters who can’t walk and chew gum.

Crazy me can not be satisfied by Adams work so far and not have to have some silly pithy comment in response to everything.

I can already imagine 90% of the posts this summer. They will be some version of….

ADAMS SUCKS!!!!

PEguLA iS cHEap!!!!

Posters can rant away to their hearts content in the Adams or Pegula threads about those things. But unfortunately it will be everywhere and that means this forum will suck ass.

I get it. It gets out of hand... but man I am disappointed.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Faksa is a career high of 20 points; I don't think he's a viable 3C option.

I still would offer Kotkaniemi as a great option. He's buy-low, and he's low-risk given the two-year 1/3 buyout window.

Given how many players Carolina has lost I don't see how they can deal Kotkaniemi

For the same reason as Carolina I can't see VGK putting one of their centers on the block. On the other hand it's VGK and they operate in a way the rest of the league doesn't. They can do literally anything at any time.

Henrique might maybe could be out there, but Edmonton probably signed him to anchor their 3rd line; and this might be their last chance before Bouchard needs a raise and something has to give.

My outside of the box idea is see what Utah plans for Hayton. He's fallen out of favor there. Otherwise the UFA pool is pretty bare, maybe they are trying to sign Roslovic or McLeod. I don't think NJD can re-sign him if they keep Hamilton.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
With Zemgus gone, we're going to have a new leadership group. My expectation:

C - Dahlin
A - Cozens
A - Tuch
I'd potentially have tage over cozens.

I know cozens has the reputation, but his on-ice performance is still lacking for me. Too many lazy turnovers on the PP, sure he fights but tage has too. Adams hinted they still are trying to get cozens to play a consistent 2 way game, and not be obsessed with point totals. I also like that Tage really had to work to find his game.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Has any other GM in the league talked so much about the struggles of convincing players to play for their team? I feel like Kevyn is the only one who talks this way

Every small market Canadian team that doesn't have Connor Mcdavid on it has recruiting issues.

Pretty much if you are any small market team without success, you are a hard sell. Especially in northern markets.

Columbus, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Winnipeg, Calgary, Ottawa, etc

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think it's fair to say, I'm assuming nothing else is coming until Adams proves he can go out and get someone to come here and fill a need in the top 6. After the RFAs are signed, it'll be silence all around.

The most likely scenario is that this is the team we break camp with. Maybe Adams will break character and actually do something, but it looks like another poverty offseason for the Sabres.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Every small market Canadian team that doesn't have Connor Mcdavid on it has recruiting issues.

Pretty much if you are any small market team without success, you are a hard sell. Especially in northern markets.

Columbus, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Winnipeg, Calgary, Ottawa, etc
I don’t see their GMs using it as an excuse like Adams does. Adams mentions it at every deadline and every offseason, and those teams have gone decades without mentioning it once.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I think Adams going out a building an effective checking line is being underappreciated by some fans. Understandable. Nothing fancy to see here. But I rank this accomplishment higher on the to do list than, say, finding a replacement for Skinner.

There's still time for Adams to trade for a top 6 forward. I'm cautiously optimistic he can pull it off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad