Proposal: Potential trades to address the Oilers’ needs?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Ottawa has that 4th line depth that could and should be available

Players that could be had:
Sanford: He has been decently effective. Hasnt shown an offensive flare but is an effective bottom 6 forward if you arent expecting offense.

Ennis: Does well in ottawa but from my understanding he shat the bed in edmonton so i doubt you are interested.

Watson: Dont want to trade him but with ottawa having prospects on the cusp watson may need to be moved. Would get Ottawa the best return. He is currently injured but is expected to return around Nov 9th.

Logan Shaw: No real selling point is a 4th line forward who hasnt made a glaring mistake yet. Would be a good warm body to have.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
the Oilers problem on D have solutions in the pipeline--depending on Broberg develops

The big issue is the same problem oiler fans have been talking about for 2 years--a number 1 goalie

a legit number 1 goalie signed for long term that can steal games.

the only goalie I can think of is Gibson of the Ducks--but whether or not he is available and would take a trade to the oilers (he has 10 team NTC). The Ducks should be rebuilding--so they would want draft picks and young players

the problem is getting the money to work. Gibson is on 6.4 and that mean the oilers need to ship out 6.4mill. To get Gibson out of California is the problem. They would need to take back 2 contracts--Koskinen and 2 mill more--unless we are sending the Ducks all our prospects and 3 first rounders--they are not going to retain

Reactions: Sean Garrity

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Sanford: He has been decently effective. Hasnt shown an offensive flare but is an effective bottom 6 forward if you arent expecting offense.

Ennis: Does well in ottawa but from my understanding he shat the bed in edmonton so i doubt you are interested.

Watson: Dont want to trade him but with ottawa having prospects on the cusp watson may need to be moved. Would get Ottawa the best return. He is currently injured but is expected to return around Nov 9th.

Logan Shaw: No real selling point is a 4th line forward who hasnt made a glaring mistake yet. Would be a good warm body to have.

Yeah, I personally don't think we need anything in terms of fourth liners. Sanford would be an upgrade on what we have but otherwise the rest of them are meh. Rather see what happens with Benson and Sceviour supposedly drawing in tonight.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Yeah, I personally don't think we need anything in terms of fourth liners. Sanford would be an upgrade on what we have but otherwise the rest of them are meh. Rather see what happens with Benson and Sceviour supposedly drawing in tonight.

Thats definitely fair. Was posting based off OP saying there was a need. Just as a note I honestly think of all the guys listed watson would have been the best fit

Reactions: Draiskull

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
There are three areas I hope we can address at some point this season but I am not panicking about either. All have been discussed already.

1) Goalie, so we can have a legitimate 1A we can lean on. That's a no brainer to me.

2) 3C. I love how Ryan has played so far, but I was still hoping to have him as our 4C.

3) 2RW. Not as major if Kassian keeps his play up, but a more consistent producer at 2RW would be cool.

Everything is clicking right now so I wouldn't do anything at the moment but those are the three places I would want to see upgraded.

I wouldn't mind getting a rental like Lindholm so we can have 3 really great left D after the deadline.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Rangers have Kravtsov and Georgiev which would address the 2nd line RW and goalie issues.

While he seems like a petulant child right now, he IS talented and I think he'd chomp at the bit if he could play with one of Connor or Leon.

Georgiev is a solid goalie with some warts to his game, but any goalie actually available will have some warts.

Not sure if this is a fit or who the Oilers could/would offer in return

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Rangers have Kravtsov and Georgiev which would address the 2nd line RW and goalie issues.

While he seems like a petulant child right now, he IS talented and I think he'd chomp at the bit if he could play with one of Connor or Leon.

Georgiev is a solid goalie with some warts to his game, but any goalie actually available will have some warts.

I would personally want Holland to go for more sure players. They both have potential but this is a go for it type of year, can’t waste assets on bets that have a high chance of not working out and don’t have time to be patient.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Agree but don't see Oil paying for Krav
Geo is a fit
so would be Rooney and Hajek

offer?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hayton would be of interest, mentioned in the 32 Thoughts spot in the Leafs intermission. I wonder if Michael Rasmussen could be had at a reasonable cost. And there's a number of left shot bottom pair D that would be of interest. Logan Stanley perhaps. Someone also mentioned Chiarot.

Creepingjeff

Mar 4, 2016
I wouldn’t pay anything for Georgiev, is he even an upgrade on Koskinen?
Georgiev has a higher career save percentage and is only 25 years old. His contact is cheaper and you have more years of control on him. I would think he is an upgrade in multiple areas due to this. On just performance, it might be a coin flip on who will be better this year, but Georgiev has plenty of other reasons it could be worth getting him.

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
Georgiev has a higher career save percentage and is only 25 years old. His contact is cheaper and you have more years of control on him. I would think he is an upgrade in multiple areas due to this. On just performance, it might be a coin flip on who will be better this year, but Georgiev has plenty of other reasons it could be worth getting him.
If it’s only a coin flip for performance this year than it is not worth spending any assets on as Koskinen isn’t here beyond this year, and I would want much better if I was spending any assets

Reactions: Ragdoll

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I wouldn’t pay anything for Georgiev, is he even an upgrade on Koskinen?
yes, he is.
He is inconsistent so far, that I concede.
He does play more consistently with more frequent use, as opposed to on off starts.

But that's not the pt/motivation.
When Geo is on, he stonewalls.
Other guy you have now ... not so much.

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
yes, he is.
He is inconsistent so far, that I concede.
He does play more consistently with more frequent use, as opposed to on off starts.

But that's not the pt/motivation.
When Geo is on, he stonewalls.
Other guy you have now ... not so much.
Really, none of his seasonal stats say he can stonewall anyone for the length of a season, this is not the kind of “upgrade” we are looking for

edit: we already have a goalie that’s inconsistent but can stonewall teams and he’s already done this season

Last edited:

Larrys13

Aug 14, 2020

What could NYR get for Kraft, Georgie and Jones?

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
Honest question, do any Rangers fans believe that Geogiev is better than Talbot as a Ranger?

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
Talbot, who I think had a solid month once while Hank was out was I'd say more consistent, but not night and day better.
So he was more consistent and better but not a whole lot better?
News for you and everyone else offering goaltenders I and most Oilers fans would want an upgrade on what Talbot was, no need for anything less!

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
So he was more consistent and better but not a whole lot better?
News for you and everyone else offering goaltenders I and most Oilers fans would want an upgrade on what Talbot was, no need for anything less!

I got news for you too.
What you are really looking for is another Shesty.
Good luck finding one,
let alone available
let alone affordable.

Unless until you draft/develop or sign one, you have to look for a stopgap to offer lightning in a bottle.

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
I got news for you too.
Good luck finding one,
let alone available
let alone affordable.
I think there is a huge gap between Shesty and Geo! Oilers would like something in between

Unless until you draft/develop or sign one, you have to look for a stopgap to offer lightning in a bottle.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I got news for you too.
Good luck finding one,
let alone available
let alone affordable.

That's not news. We know we are looking for a 1A goalie. We have two 1B's already. We don't need a Georgiev.

The only sure fire upgrade that might be available and fits our needs perfectly is Gibson, and unfortunately he is in our division and on a team that isn't ready to trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad